Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First day of school pictures all over social media(Not just junior enfants)

• 01-09-2016 9:46am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Have a facebook account for events groups etc but dont post
    Can understand first day of school is a big event but photo after photo?Many inside a school
    Also kids who are just back to school

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Just block them if you dont like them. It's a big day for the parents and kids and their families, many of whom will only see these pics thru facebook - let them at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

First day back at school is a huge day for anyone who's in school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

This is truly an issue for the ages. Have at it, After Hours! I expect a 45 page thread of back and forth arguments on my desk by lunch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Yes i agree a huge day.Nice to have a pic heading off or outside the school gates but multipy pics and some of other kids maybe without consent?
    Also kids just going back to school.is not huge dont get the big drama over it just teach them that this a normal life tasks that have to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

bigpink wrote: »

Have a gold medal in the Nobody Cares 1000 metres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Can understand first day of school is a big event but photo after photo?
    If only there was some way you could not see them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Starting Junior infants is pretty massive life event.
    "First day of second class" however, yawwwn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

osarusan wrote: »
    If only there was some way you could not see them...

It's hard to master the filtering settings on Facebook when you only have it 'for events' but seemingly spend your life poring over your 'friends' family pictures in order to run off to the internet and bitch about them to get Thanks.

How can i filter photos on facebook app?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Insecure parents needing attention ,

First day for junior infants we had our little one start yesterday we took several pics to share with family scattered to the four winds ,

Did notice a big increase of oh loook arent they so cute starting senior up to sixth class under the guise of "my first day"

• Advertisement

Have a gold medal in the Nobody Cares 1000 metres.

I posted an opinion you dont have to like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yes i agree a huge day.Nice to have a pic heading off or outside the school gates but multipy pics and some of other kids maybe without consent?
    Also kids just going back to school.is not huge dont get the big drama over it just teach them that this a normal life tasks that have to be done

Judging by this post and your anger I'm guessing nobody took your picture on your first day of school yesterday.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Judging by this post and your anger I'm guessing nobody took your picture on your first day of school yesterday.

Not anger just noticed the huge amount of it.Id keep the pics private and send them to the people i think should see them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

I get the whole first day at juniors and indeed enjoyed looking at my niece's pics. But I was annoyed last night to find my feed constantly full of "first day" pics of kids going into 2nd class 5th class etc. I'm proud of mine going back but bad mum that I am I didn't even take a photo at home And then the "first day at school" pics that weren't of school but PRESCHOOL. I kinda get them but label them properly ffs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

These are the kind of things that I like seeing on Facebook, and surely the kind of thing that Facebook's actually for?

These are the kind of things that I like seeing on Facebook, and surely the kind of thing that Facebook's actually for?

Take pics and send them to the people that you want to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

I would presume the people's pics you can see are people you added say family or friends... or are they just randoms you wanted to snoop on. Either way the only solution is leave fb and burn the laptop to the ground

I would presume the people's pics you can see are people you added say family or friends... or are they just randoms you wanted to snoop on. Either way the only solution is leave fb and burn the laptop to the ground

True i will have try log in to desktop mode.and do a facebook edit or clean up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I don't mind them. As other posters have said it's a big day for the children and their families. I don't have kids but it's lovely to see friends'/ cousins'/ classmates' children who I might not get to see in person as they live a good distance away. I'll take shiny faces and brand new uniforms any day over instagrammed dinners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

bigpink wrote:
    Yes i agree a huge day.Nice to have a pic heading off or outside the school gates but multipy pics and some of other kids maybe without consent? Also kids just going back to school.is not huge dont get the big drama over it just teach them that this a normal life tasks that have to be done

I'd say you're great craic altogether. Here's a solution delete Facebook or block the people who are posting the pictures. Simple.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Gosh! I have to scroll!! The horror.

Nothing wrong with it, better than reposting inspiration quotes or the same viral video that you've seen on your feed 20 times which would presumably be on everyone elses feed 20 times....but, you know, share it again just in case yer granny hasn't seen it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Grayson wrote: »
    First day back at school is a huge day for anyone who's in school.

Huge day for anyone driving in the morning.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The first day back to school is a huge day?

It is in it's arse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Meh. It's a big day I guess. My friends tolerate my constant stream of animal posts and my facebook profile is essentially a shrine to my dog, so if they can tolerate that (and hit like) then I'm certainly in no place to be grumpy about their pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Meh. It's a big day I guess. My friends tolerate my constant stream of animal posts and my facebook profile is essentially a shrine to my dog, so if they can tolerate that (and hit like) then I'm certainly in no place to be grumpy about their pics.

Somebody call the doctor, something has gone horribly wrong!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I suspect they don't post these pictures for your benefit. They probably have friends (actual friends that are interested in their lives) or family that don't live nearby so it's easier to share everything on Facebook than it is to send out loads of emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Two groups who will never really understand each other, are parents and non parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

People could be posting about worse things. Its sweet, I think anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Can understand first day of school is a big event but photo after photo?Many inside a school
    Also kids who are just back to school

So you have a facebook account but you're not that active on it.
    Tip: Don't be active on it when kids are going back to school.

Sounds like you're a little more active on it than you would like to tell yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

This is exactly what Facebook is for and I prefer days like this to the normal crap that's on Facebook all the time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I am not a parent but I don't mind, I don't use Facebook much, I use twitter a lot more, but I suppose it is a digital record there for the ages, so unlike in the past if your house burned down you will still have your Facebook life album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

'My little man/woman all grown up now'

Why the f**k did no one tell me my kids were all grown up at five... I've wasted years of my life still thinking they need parenting.

Keep threatening the young lad I'm gonna post pics of him 'all grown up' #proudmum
    It's great fun..... For me ;)

Agree with Walka though people could be posting worse stuff :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Jayop wrote: »
    This is exactly what Facebook is for and I prefer days like this to the normal crap that's on Facebook all the time now.

This.

I don't get what the people who complain about posts on Facebook actually do want to see on Facebook.

Why have you added these people if you don't want to see the stuff they post?

IMO, and as someone who has literally zero interest in kid related stuff on FB, at least people sharing stuff like this is better than a slew of memes, those stupid "Let's cure cancer by having a secret status that only certain people know about!" and "I'm sharing this post from a page offering a big prize for liking and sharing. It's probably a scam, but better safe than sorry!" posts.

Also, is no one going to comment on the enfant in the room?

No?

Fine.

"Oooh, get you with your posh French 'Junior Enfants'! In my day twas baby infants and we were better for it!"

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    "Oooh, get you with your posh French 'Junior Enfants'! In my day twas baby infants and we were better for it!"

:pac:

Don't like 'em? Don't look at them.

This strategy is effective in many areas of life, it's worth perfecting.

For example, a film I had no interest in was on television and I made the decision not to watch it. Simple and effective, very little training needed, if any.

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »
    Don't like 'em? Don't look at them.

This strategy is effective in many areas of life, it's worth perfecting.

For example, a film I had no interest in was on television and I made the decision not to watch it. Simple and effective, very little training needed, if any.

No, you should have watched it and then complained to RTE that it was on.

No, you should have watched it and then complained to RTE that it was on.

Or started a thread complaining about it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

I'm obviously a **** parent, I took one photo on the first day of school and no more after that. Couldn't even tell you where that photo is, on an sd card somewhere I think.
    The thought never crosses my mind to take photos at the time. I really should try to take more, it's nice to have them to look back at.

Tasden wrote: »
    I'm obviously a **** parent, I took one photo on the first day of school and no more after that. Couldn't even tell you where that photo is, on an sd card somewhere I think.
    The thought never crosses my mind to take photos at the time. I really should try to take more, it's nice to have them to look back at.

Just because you don't obsess over photo's doesn't make you a ****e parent, not by a long shot. In the same vain, not all of those who post pics of their kids going to school on FB are attention seekers.

But you are right about one thing, having photos are brilliant to look back at. If you are terrible at printing them or getting them stored somewhere handy for you, get a decent phone with a good camera and have it set to automatically back them up to google photos or whatever Apple have for the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

A lot of people have no sense of privacy whatsoever. Very needy attention seekers craving attention and approval from their facebook ''friends''. Adults engaging in the kind of juvenile ''look at me, look what I've got'' stuff that should have been left behind in secondary school. It is especially sad when people parade their children around like they are a new designer handbag. Nah, sorry, there is nothing that special about your little brat Tommy, he's just like every other five year old.

• Advertisement

A lot of people have no sense of privacy whatsoever. Very needy attention seekers craving attention and approval from their facebook ''friends''. Adults engaging in the kind of juvenile ''look at me, look what I've got'' stuff that should have been left behind in secondary school. It is especially sad when people parade their children around like they are a new designer handbag. Nah, sorry, there is nothing that special about your little brat Tommy, he's just like every other five year old.

Or alternatively they could have family members who would be interested in seeing their little Tommy on his first day in school but don't live nearby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

tupenny wrote: »
    Starting Junior infants is pretty massive life event.
    "First day of second class" however, yawwwn

In my day second class meant moving to a different room, always a big deal

What's with calling little kids names? Kids are not all brats. And they are extremely special to the people who love them.

If you don't like it, don't look at them. It's that simple.

Just because you don't obsess over photo's doesn't make you a ****e parent, not by a long shot. In the same vain, not all of those who post pics of their kids going to school on FB are attention seekers.

But you are right about one thing, having photos are brilliant to look back at. If you are terrible at printing them or getting them stored somewhere handy for you, get a decent phone with a good camera and have it set to automatically back them up to google photos or whatever Apple have for the same thing.

Yeah actually I should just save them to an sd on the phone. Good idea. I just never think of actually taking the photo! And when I see others taking them I just kind of go "ah they're taking photos so I don't need to" :o at school plays etc I much prefer to enjoy it myself and not be fiddling with a phone recording. And then I'm also very conscious not to be taking photos of other people's kids so it's just easier not to take any!
    Now I'm going to be one of those embarrassing parents taking pictures of everything, standing in the middle of the audience with the camcorder kind of thing! :pac:

Or alternatively they could have family members who would be interested in seeing their little Tommy on his first day in school but don't live nearby.

Don't people send e-mails anymore? Can't they use the PM function on Facebook? Skype? It is not about keeping a family member in Australia or wherever up to date. It is all about showing off and attention seeking.

Tasden wrote: »
    Yeah actually I should just save them to an sd on the phone. Good idea. I just never think of actually taking the photo! And when I see others taking them I just kind of go "ah they're taking photos so I don't need to" :o at school plays etc I much prefer to enjoy it myself and not be fiddling with a phone recording. And then I'm also very conscious not to be taking photos of other people's kids so it's just easier not to take any!
    Now I'm going to be one of those embarrassing parents taking pictures of everything, standing in the middle of the audience with the camcorder kind of thing! :pac:

Yeah I'm with you on that. Live for the moment and enjoy what's infront of you. I tend to take a few pics before or after the likes of that and maybe try to get one during it but I'd prefer to enjoy the "performance".

Yeah I'm with you on that. Live for the moment and enjoy what's infront of you. I tend to take a few pics before or after the likes of that and maybe try to get one during it but I'd prefer to enjoy the "performance".

Exactly. It's not like it's Oscar worthy stuff or anything but .. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Yet another reason to delete Facebook.

Candie wrote: »
    Kids are not all brats

The ones raised to believe that they are the best thing since sliced bread usually are.
    And they are extremely special to the people who love them.

Of course, that's natural. Expecting facebook ''friends''/acquaintances to oooh and aaah over them is attention seeking though.
    If you don't like it, don't look at them. It's that simple.

I don't. Not even slightly interested.

The ones raised to believe that they are the best thing since sliced bread usually are.

Of course, that's natural. Expecting facebook ''friends''/acquaintances to oooh and aaah over them is attention seeking though.

I don't. Not even slightly interested.

But you still took the time to call them brats and tell us how they're all like every other five year olds. Nice work, since you don't look at them.

I'm sure people don't post the pics with you in mind, they're for actual friends and family who don't call their kids brats or have a hissy fit because a few pics show up that they don't even have to look at.

I've a friend who shows me pictures of her cat. I don't go talking about her stinking moggy and how I'm not interested in it and announce she's insecure or showing off. I smile, nod, and move on, instead of working myself up into a rage of indignation that I'm 'forced' to see the cat.

You should try getting over it, it's a real liberator.

• Advertisement
Advertisement