Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile signal complaint

Options
  • 01-09-2016 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hello, 

What is the best way to log a poor mobile signal complaint? When making or receiving calls from the house I can't be heard on the phone (not a handset issue). Looking at the Comreg site viewer I can see that while there is a Vodafone tower nearby, there isn't an Eir/Meteor tower. I understand that there probably isn't an immediate fix but I'd like to at least log the poor signal. 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

aosaigh wrote: »
    Hello, 

What is the best way to log a poor mobile signal complaint? When making or receiving calls from the house I can't be heard on the phone (not a handset issue). Looking at the Comreg site viewer I can see that while there is a Vodafone tower nearby, there isn't an Eir/Meteor tower. I understand that there probably isn't an immediate fix but I'd like to at least log the poor signal. 
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]aosaigh,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks for getting in touch, I'm so sorry to hear you are experiencing signal issues.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Before logging a complaint I would always recommend troubleshooting on your handset. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]The first step would be a location update on the device. Switch the phone to flight mode for ten minutes and restart it.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]If this does not improve the signal handset troubleshooting would be the next step. Try popping your sim into another phone; if you do not have a spare phone any of our guys in store will be able to assist you with this.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I can also check indoor and outdoor coverage in your area and for any issues with our mobile tech team should you wish to PM me your mobile number & pin. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Should you still wish to log a complaint it can be logged here https://www.eir.ie/logacomplaint.jsp;[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]-Pamela [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 27 aosaigh

Thanks for the reply. I guess I don't really mean a formal complaint, I just mean I'd like to log the fact that there is bad signal in the area. 

I switched my sim from my current phone (Oneplus One) to another (Nexus 4) and noticed that the call signal was significantly better. Using Network Cell Info (Android app) on both phones it looks like they are connecting to different towers. The LTE tower that my Oneplus One is connecting to has much much lower signal than the EDGE tower that my Nexus 4 is connecting to. If I disabled 4G on my Oneplus One the signal is much better when I degrade to EDGE. That said, I'd still like the signal on the 4G tower to be better (they seems to be equidistant from my house). Is there any where where I can request signal improvement? 

Just to follow on from this. I now have the problem of being unable to avoid or ignore the cell tower that is giving me poor signal. Is there any way I can be blacklisted from a particular tower? 

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Your one plus one has partial support of Irish bands. It can't see the good tower and thus falls back to a weaker one.

If Meteor send a field tech out he'll find it perfect, as it is. Sell the OPO and buy a 2 or 3 which have full band 20 & band 3 support. 

ED E wrote: »
    Your one plus one has partial support of Irish bands. It can't see the good tower and thus falls back to a weaker one.

If Meteor send a field tech out he'll find it perfect, as it is. Sell the OPO and buy a 2 or 3 which have full band 20 & band 3 support. 
    Thanks ED E. That makes sense and would explain the difference in signal considering that the towers are equidistant. Was planning on upgrading once they came back into stock anyway. 

Just for my own understanding: 
    • LTE bands 3 (1800mhz) and 20 (800mhz) are used here?
    • OPO only supports band 3? 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Exactly. Its a common issue with lots of the eastern origin phones. 

Its also worth noting 800Mhz "goes further" and penetrates homes better too. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

If you need any assistance aosaigh please do let me know.

-Pamela 

Advertisement