Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting an apartment for 8 years and moving out

Options
  • 01-09-2016 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

We have been living in a rented apartment for 8 years and wondering about getting back the deposit. There has not been much work done over the years and are worried that we might not get the deposit back. A lot of the issues is wear and tear and few things need to be replaced ( broken chair and fridge door etc).

We have no contract and was wondering how much notice needs to be given ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

if it's 8 years solid and no more than 6 month over 8 years you're at the beginning of the third cycle of Part4 tenancy. normal notice applies. I would however call the tenancy board to be sure as it could be either 28 days or 112...
    Duration of Tenancy Notice Period
    Under 6 months 28 days
    Over 6 months but under 1 year 35 days
    Over 1 year but under 2 years 42 days
    Over 2 years but under 3 years 56 days
    Over 3 years but under 4 years 56 days
    Over 4 years but under 5 years 84 days
    Over 5 years but under 6 years 84 days
    Over 6 years but under 7 years 84 days
    Over 7 years but under 8 years 84 days
    8 or more years 112 days

Its 112 days, part4 cycles don't reset notice periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

thats debatable in my view. OP, just call the Tenancy board and get concrete advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

thats debatable in my view. OP, just call the Tenancy board and get concrete advise.

It's not debatable, it's the law as laid out in the RTA 2004 and as amended 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

degzs wrote: »
    A lot of the issues is wear and tear and few things need to be replaced ( broken chair and fridge door etc).

I'm sure the LL will account for basic wear and tear and they'll know they'll have to encur a basic revamp once you leave - cleaning / painting etc...
    Do you have any record of the deposit being paid?

Broken items are different, and should be deducted from your deposit in my opinion.
    Why didn't you get them fixed / mention them to the LL during your time there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

You should be able to leave earlier with mutual consent from the LL.

Recently moved out of a place after 5.5yrs and agency is trying to screw me for every last cent of my deposit for what is absolutely wear and tear. The place is actually in better condition than it was when I got it. Currently sitting with the PRTB as a dispute - good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭degzs

Will having no contract make a difference ? Was hope 4/5 weeks would be enough

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

Nope, the notice periods are statutory so whether theres a contract or not doesn't make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

We have been living in a rented apartment for 8 years and wondering about getting back the deposit. There has not been much work done over the years and are worried that we might not get the deposit back. A lot of the issues is wear and tear and few things need to be replaced ( broken chair and fridge door etc).
    From revenue's tax rules for landlords, white goods, furniture etc are only expected to last 8 years.

Eg. If I as a landlord buy a chair for €100, I'll get a tax allowance of €12.50 for 8 years at which point (it is assumed) the chair will be worthless and I may need to replace it.

Household goods occasionally break, and it needn't be anybody's fault. Replacing a few damaged bits and bobs after an 8 year tenancy is a cost of doing business, so unless the place is totally trashed, I'd fight if the landlord is looking for any significant compensation.

Your position is even stronger if the landlord hasn't inspected regularly, or hasn't raised any objections during previous inspections.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Will having no contract make a difference ? Was hope 4/5 weeks would be enough

No difference, you're covered by Part 4 rights under law anyway. The best thing to do is ring the landlord and let them know your intentions. They might agree to shorter notice than is required by law. (indeed it is allowed by law to agree mutual shorter notice periods)

• Advertisement

There is absolutely no doubt whatsoever about it. its 112 days, its stated very clearly I have no idea how you could come to the conclusion it resets. Do you think the notice period a LL has to give also resets and a LL can give very short notice?

Advertisement