Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling holiday in Girona....

Options
  • 01-09-2016 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

myself and the brother have booked 5 days in Girona early October and we are looking at doing 3 days cycling in that time.
    Anyone been? Any recommendations, tips etc greatly appreciated. :D

We think we will rent bikes from this crowd - https://www.gironacyclecentre.com/bike-hire/

Anyone have any experience of them? I'm not bothered about renting some all-singing, all-dancing bike, just want one that is as close to what I'm used to as possible in terms of gearing and sizing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

terrydel wrote: »
    myself and the brother have booked 5 days in Girona early October and we are looking at doing 3 days cycling in that time.

We think we will rent bikes from this crowd - https://www.gironacyclecentre.com/bike-hire/

Anyone have any experience of them? I'm not bothered about renting some all-singing, all-dancing bike, just want one that is as close to what I'm used to as possible in terms of gearing and sizing.

Dan Martin, part owns that shop. Used them twice, really good to deal with.
    But like any rental place bring bike for quick check in case gears need a tweak, check tyres etc. I've rented a lot of bikes and even the best places miss things when busy

Have routes planned before you go. West for the mountains, east for the rolling landscape on way to coast.

I can pm you a route or two I've done if you like.

Check Vuelta, and Vuelta Catalonia( Ithink) for roads they use.

The mountains are empty. I did a 20km descent without meeting a car

Girona is bike mad, mtb as well as road bike. Popular spots with pro teams.

Catalan food, if you like your meat and seafood is some of the best in Spain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

ford2600 wrote: »
    Dan Martin, part owns that shop. Used them twice, really good to deal with.
    But like any rental place bring bike for quick check in case gears need a tweak, check tyres etc. I've rented a lot of bikes and even the best places miss things when busy

Have routes planned before you go. West for the mountains, east for the rolling landscape on way to coast.

I can pm you a route or two I've done if you like.

Check Vuelta, and Vuelta Catalonia( Ithink) for roads they use.

The mountains are empty. I did a 20km descent without meeting a car

Girona is bike mad, mtb as well as road bike. Popular spots with pro teams.

Catalan food, if you like your meat and seafood is some of the best in Spain

please do pm me, that would be very much appreciated.
    That shop does a Thursday shop ride, which I think is a great idea and something we will deffo do. Plus its free!
    That's mad Dan Martin part owning the shop, didn't know that at all.
    Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

please do pm me, that would be very much appreciated.
    That shop does a Thursday shop ride, which I think is a great idea and something we will deffo do. Plus its free!
    That's mad Dan Martin part owning the shop, didn't know that at all.
    Cheers!

I think he lives there.

A current top 30 Irish A1 rider is riding back from there now on a touring bike.

I'd be surprised if ye didn't want to return

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

ford2600 wrote: »
    I think he lives there.

A current top 30 Irish A1 rider is riding back from there now on a touring bike.

I'd be surprised if ye didn't want to return

he moved to andorra last year but had been living there for a few years.

i'm thinking of heading that direction around the same time with the mrs and junior, might also look these guys up for getting out for a morning or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

You could get in touch with Brian Canty:

www.eatsleepcycle.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

i love Girona... cheap food, accommodation and great cycling roads. used Girona cycling centre but be cute... bring your own tubes, levers and cleats as these extras are where the charges come in. also, i got charged nearly 12 euro for a guide book even though i knew where i was going! ;) i did this route one day: https://www.eatsleepcycle.com/routes/panta-susqueda-if-007-rode-a-bike/ and then a 60k Els Angels route another day. was 36 degrees at one point, earned my dinner! bring plenty of water / coke.

enjoy, im jealous.

Thanks everyone for the tips and info.
    Really looking forward to it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Thud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Terry del we're considering heading over in Oct as well- 1st time so any chance you could forward on the routes by PM or post a link put please. Cheers

Thud wrote: »

Hahaha, I'd better bring the motorbike so!

• Advertisement

TheDocMan wrote: »
    Terry del we're considering heading over in Oct as well- 1st time so any chance you could forward on the routes by PM or post a link put please. Cheers

I will indeed mate.
    What dates are you headed?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Gasco

Lovely town, did not cycle there but had some excellent food - try cafe le bistrot for authentic fare.

Managed to order what amounted to a raw burger following my efforts to communicate with the waiting staff in very poor spanish, but follow up meals were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

I will indeed mate.
    What dates are you headed?

We're ( me and a friend ) looking at 5-7nights somewhere between 5th -17th Oct. Thanks

Advertisement