Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wayne f*cking Rooney

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

For everyone saying it was good leadership.............the game was still 0-0 at that stage.

Seems like everybody has forgotten that. This "young player asks to take penalty so the nice captain let him" is a load of bollocks, in those situations the designated penalty taker does his job and tells the young player to wait.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Kirby wrote: »
    Giving the penalty to pogba was just good leadership. Rooney had the ball in his hand. Pogba came up to him and wanted it. There is potential for a scene here but he just gave it to him.

The martial one I don't quite get. Rooney should have taken that one for sure. A bit strange really.

Pogba took it off him because Rooney is no longer untouchable.He was woeful again the other night.Better off heading to the US league while he can just about jog around the pitch,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rooney scored 13 out of his last 14 pens so it should not have been an issue that he'd automatically take the pens the other night. Every game he took a pen in was also a victory for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Once ferguson started moving him back to midfield that time it disrupted him big time he had to nearly reinvent himself and now hes neither a striker nor a midfielder and its a shame he was the last chance of an english player being in balon dor contention and thats coming from an arsenal fan.

Don't agree with that. Rooney always had the tools to play deeper or out wide. Fergie trusted him in the wider positions. Trusted him to be able to play that position and to be defensively sound too. He used him and Park a lot of the time because he just didn't trust his CM and knew they needed to be subsidised by th wide players. That has always been my contention really.

Rooney has always been more than a No 9 IMO. His best position n his prime was always behind the main striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

He's not worth keeping around
    Seems like everybody has forgotten that. This "young player asks to take penalty so the nice captain let him" is a load of bollocks, in those situations the designated penalty taker does his job and tells the young player to wait.

How do you know Rooney was the designated penalty taker? How do you know that there even was designated penalty takers? You don't.
    Pogba took it off him because Rooney is no longer untouchable.He was woeful again the other night.Better off heading to the US league while he can just about jog around the pitch,

He was fine really, no worse than a few other United players who were by no means "woeful". We scored twice from play on Thursday, Rooney was involved in both. Woeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

How do you know Rooney was the designated penalty taker? How do you know that there even was designated penalty takers? You don't.

So Mourinho, who is meticulous in his planning, wouldn't have designated penalty takers? That something like this hasn't already being discussed long before this game? That would seem odd to me.

But i do agree that Rooney wasn't woeful. He wasn't great either. He was decent Thursday, if i had to describe it. Just worrying that at home, the focal point of our attack didn't seem to have a decent chance that i recall, even though we won 4-1. He linked up well enough at times. He contributed to 2 goals. He is definitely in decline. His acceleration from the spot is decreased significantly and he only seems to show his pace over a prolonged distance, like a train getting going.

So Mourinho, who is meticulous in his planning, wouldn't have designated penalty takers? That something like this hasn't already being discussed long before this game? That would seem odd to me.

"Mourinho told BT Sport: "The first penalty taker was Paul - we made the decision.

"He didn't want to repeat because it's a second penalty a couple of minutes later. Probably because Martial won it and he's a good penalty taker.

"It's not a problem for me. I always give indication of the one that has the responsibility [Pogba] but leave freedom for the players on the pitch [to make the decision]."

It's contradicted a bit though by what Pogba said:

"It was myself or Wayne [to take the penalty]. He let me take it and I'm very happy to score the penalty. I respect a player like him who is captain to let me take it so I'm very glad for that."

Like I said, we just don't know. We don't know what was said in the dressing room or what was said on the pitch between the players but as I posted above, the anti-Rooney folk will use anything to put him down. We won the game so we can't blame him for a defeat like we usually do, instead lets forget his contribution to the two goals we scored from play and criticise him for not taking penalties that were scored anyway, even though we don't want him to even be at the club let alone on the pitch.

Yeah, Rooney is only the club captain and senior striker and has only taken 42 penalties in his career, how could we possibly assume that he would be the designated penalty taker in that game, lets ignore the precedent and words of the players and accept that we have no way of knowing who was supposed to take it.

By the same token, I'll also ignore your previous posts and accept that we don't actually know if you are Rooney's designated cheerleader, regardless of how it appears.

I heard Mourinhos interview after the game and while his words said one thing, its my opinion that he was not very impressed with what happened at all. I'd say there were a few choice words said about the penalties behind closed doors. We'll never know of course.

• Advertisement

My opinion on Mourinho's comments are that he was trying to diffuse the situation. Pogba's post match comments indicate he was glad Rooney let him take it. If Pogba and Rooney are the 2 at the top of the designated list, we is Martial taking the second? Because he won it? Would the same not be applied to Mata for the first? Mata has taken penalties for United before, if i recall correctly, so i presume that wouldn't be an issue for him to take that one. For Pogba's penalty, Rooney is walking over to the spot with the ball at his feet. It's not crazy to assume, and for Rooney to assume, he's taking it till Pogba comes over to him. Again for the second it looks like Rooney is going towards the ref and their keeper, who i think has the ball,to retrieve the ball till Martial comes over and says he wants it and Rooney walks away. The man is close to becoming United's all time European goal scorer and all time club goal scorer. He's playing up top that night and has one goal all season with numerous critics on his back. He has been the club penalty taker for a number of seasons. And you see nothing wrong with him not taking the 1 or both penalties? If the guy doesn't have the want and greed to still be scoring, where is his mind at? IS there a shift of power happening behind the scenes at Old Trafford. Prior to this Rooney has been virtually untouchable and was no doubt the biggest ego in the dressing room post Ronaldo. Maybe it's possible that incoming ego's don't see Rooney on this pedestal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

A good option from the bench
    Rolled back the years tonight. A really solid performance, a performance I didn't expect to see from him again to be honest.
    If he can keep that up I'll gladly scoff some humble pie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Was only a matter of time. As Glen Hoddle would say, form is temporary, Class is permanent.

You should all be ashamed of yourselves. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

He's looked faster and his touch has been better the last couple of games. It was poor opposition tonight. I'll be very happy if he can carry this into the weekend.

Tonight was just another one of many very good performances from Rooney this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Tonight was just another one of 2 or 3 very good performances from Rooney this season.

Altered in the name of all that is hobest, valid and true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

His heat maps must be delicious

• crkball6 wrote: »
    His heat maps must be delicious

What was great to see was the pace he showed for the first goal. Honestly haven't seem him sprint that fast in a very long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Rolled back the years tonight. A really solid performance, a performance I didn't expect to see from him again to be honest.
    If he can keep that up I'll gladly scoff some humble pie.

Against Feyenoord. Don't forget, Memphis Dupay was world class and better than Ronaldo against Brugge.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Against Feyenoord. Don't forget, Memphis Dupay was world class and better than Ronaldo against Brugge.

People keep pointing out it's only Feyenoord, While true. It's the same Feyenoord who beat us less than two months ago.

Who while not the best league in the world who have lost once in 13.
    The way we've been playing the last 3 years I'm sure Feyenoord fans were thinking "it's only united" when they beat us two months ago.

Stop knocking down every bit of positivity that comes out of the club.

United of old should be putting away these teams but _this_ team is not entitled to _anything_ so putting even the minnows Feyenoord away when you must win in the way we won is showing there's a confidence and swagger coming back into the play

don't forget we played the MIGHTY Arsenal off the park for 90 minutes 3 days ago. But it's _just_ Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

crkball6 wrote: »
    People keep pointing out it's only Feyenoord, While true. It's the same Feyenoord who beat us less than two months ago.

Who while not the best league in the world who have lost once in 13.
    The way we've been playing the last 3 years I'm sure Feyenoord fans were thinking "it's only united" when they beat us two months ago.

Stop knocking down every bit of positivity that comes out of the club.

United of old should be putting away these teams but _this_ team is not entitled to _anything_ so putting even the minnows Feyenoord away when you must win in the way we won is showing there's a confidence and swagger coming back into the play

don't forget we played the MIGHTY Arsenal off the park for 90 minutes 3 days ago. But it's _just_ Arsenal.

I wouldn't be getting carried away with Wayne Rooney seemingly running faster last night.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be getting carried away with Wayne Rooney seemingly running faster last night.

No one's getting carried away it's just nice to see such a good performance a great goal a fantastic assit from a player who's past it apparently.

• monkey9 wrote: »

Nobody is getting carried away. As stated he's got a lot of work to do to be considered in the the starting 11 of a PL game in my eyes.
    However it sounds like you are doing your best to exaggerate the reactions

If you read my post again you'll see that I said "if he keeps that up"
    Rooney has been sh*te against rubbish teams all season so if you regard Feyenoord as a rubbish team it's still a big improvement.
    And nobody ever said Depay was better than Ronaldo.

Nalz wrote: »
    Altered in the name of all that is hobest, valid and true

You ought not to quote people and change what they say, learn to speak your own mind.
    Against Feyenoord.

Feyenoord beat United a few weeks ago in a match that Rooney didn't play - Pogba, Ibrahimovich and Mata did.
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Nobody is getting carried away. As stated he's got a lot of work to do to be considered in the the starting 11 of a PL game in my eyes.
    However it sounds like you are doing your best to exaggerate the reactions

Why? He's playing better than Rashford, Martial and Mkhitaryan. He's offerered as much if not arguably more in terms of goals lately than Ibrahimovich and Mata.

I've been very critical of Rooney here, but a much better performance tonight from him. These are the types of displays we want from him. There seemed to be more confidence from him. I thought his chipped finish for his goal was a great example of this.....confident, off the cuff, natural. The thing for him to do now is back this up with another good performance, and another one after that.

The one thing i would say about our front options is that when we play a combination of Mata, Ibra or Rooney, or even all 3 like last night, we most definitely need that extra pace from the likes of Mikey, Martial or Rashford. Happy with Mikey's performance. Brings a directness to our play. Considering the speculation surrounding him of late and his absence from the team it was very pleasing stuff from him.

crkball6 wrote: »
    No one's getting carried away it's just nice to see such a good performance a great goal a fantastic assit from a player who's past it apparently.

No one is getting carried away? Eh someone just posted last night that it was one of many great performances last night.

Feyenoord beat United a few weeks ago in a match that Rooney didn't play - Pogba, Ibrahimovich and Mata did.

De Gea played that game. Romero played last night. See what I did there? What the f'uck are you trying to prove by saying Pogba Ibra and Mata played when we lost?

Nalz wrote: »
    De Gea played that game. Romero played last night. See what I did there? What the f'uck are you trying to prove by saying Pogba Ibra and Mata played when we lost?

Because those are the players that were apparently suffering and held back and starting on the bench by Rooney being 'shoehorned' into the side and slowing down all their lightning attacking moves at the start of the season. Yet they couldn't manufacture a goal between them against Feyenoord in the first match.

Deserves a run in the team

Tonight was just another one of many very good performances from Rooney this season.

All last night did was display exactly what we have not been seeing from Rooney this season, a good performance like that simply contrasted with the muck that preceded it. You think if it was just more of the same that so many would have sat up and taken notice? Of course not.

Anybody without an agenda already knows this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I wouldn't underestimate the benefit of having someone of his quality and experience in the team and training with younger players and passing on advice even if his best days are behind him. Not the perfect role model by any stretch but surely still have a lot to offer. I just can't see Mourinho letting him stay, especially with his crippling wages!

All last night did was display exactly what we have not been seeing from Rooney this season, a good performance like that simply contrasted with the muck that preceded it. You think if it was just more of the same that so many would have sat up and taken notice? Of course not.

Anybody without an agenda already knows this.

It was probably his best performance of the season, I'm not denying that. He has had plenty of other good performances this season that went unnoticed by the people apparently without an agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭Sand

L'prof wrote: »
    I wouldn't underestimate the benefit of having someone of his quality and experience in the team and training with younger players and passing on advice even if his best days are behind him. Not the perfect role model by any stretch but surely still have a lot to offer. I just can't see Mourinho letting him stay, especially with his crippling wages!

Mourinho isnt paying them, and if the Pogba deal proves anything its that United simply don't have a budget in the normal sense of the word. Rooney wont leave unless and until he gets a better deal elsewhere, which is increasingly unlikely at his age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Really getting the mojo back isn't he. Love this Rooney, all action like he always is but bloody effective on the ball too where it matters. Some of his passes were so direct and excellent tonight! When he does this well he should be starting. Great to see the fire under him again and hopefully he can stay injury free because if not then we'll go back to square one when he comes back.

Would love to see him getting the two goals he needs soon as well. Pity he can't get them against Everton, that would be sweet.

M!Ck^ wrote: »

That isn't accurate at all.

• That isn't accurate at all.

It's meant to be funny, lighten up
    Rooney has been playing well in the last few games and have given him nothing but credit

A fantastic achievement for him. A record that will probably stand another 50 years the way the game is today.

He's still capable of these moments of magic even if they are not as common as they once were.

• A fantastic achievement for him. A record that will probably stand another 50 years the way the game is today.

He's still capable of these moments of magic even if they are not as common as they once were.

Totally agree fair play to him. Great to see him get the record with a great free kick.
    He still has his uses in the team IMO but not in the first 11.
    He actually looks quite comfortable with his current role in the squad.
    I was so glad he was itching for the winner. He really looked dejected in the after match discussion with Sky because Utd didn't win it.
    He has shown that he is still hungry to win and that's always a good thing.

• Advertisement

"Take a bow son"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

A fantastic achievement for him. A record that will probably stand another 50 years the way the game is today.

Get ronaldo back at 40 Nd he'd do it.

Jokes aside delighted for Wayne. Been a fantastic player for United throughout the years

Get ronaldo back at 40 Nd he'd do it.

Jokes aside delighted for Wayne. Been a fantastic player for United throughout the years

He really has and I doubt you would find many to argue that. It's a real shame he wasn't the Zlatan/Giggs type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Yeah.

Wayne. Fúcking. Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Well done to him. A great achievement. Can't see it being broken for a long long time.

I think only Rashford is the only contender to go near it over the next generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I hope he, or more likely his agent, writes thank you letters to Ed Woodward, David Moyes and LVG for making it possible for him to break the record when he should have been gone from the club long ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Been a superb player.
    But I think he may look back on his career with some regret. Had he lived a lifestyle more similar to Ronaldo he would have been an even greater player.

Korat wrote: »
    I hope he, or more likely his agent, writes thank you letters to Ed Woodward, David Moyes and LVG for making it possible for him to break the record when he should have been gone from the club long ago.

Why should he have been gone?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

Before, I would have said Rooney was not a United legend. But then I think, Being the top scorer in the clubs history. New he has to go down as a legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Been a great player alright but a somewhat unfulfilled talent.You feel he could have been so much better and he's only really had a couple of truly brilliant seasons in his career and a lot of very good seasons.He's only 31 but he hasn't be a great player since the 2011-12 season, he really should have been converted into a number 9 from then on as that was probably the best season of his career and he played as a lone striker that season for most of it.

I remember seeing clips of him on Sky sports when he was about 15 and he was being hyped as a Messi/Ronaldo level payer which is a level he never really got to.

Been a great player alright but a somewhat unfulfilled talent.You feel he could have been so much better and he's only really had a couple of truly brilliant seasons in his career and a lot of very good seasons.He's only 31 but he hasn't be a great player since the 2011-12 season, he really should have been converted into a number 9 from then on as that was probably the best season of his career and he played as a lone striker that season for most of it.

I remember seeing clips of him on Sky sports when he was about 15 and he was being hyped as a Messi/Ronaldo level payer which is a level he never really got to.

Tough crowd when you score 34 goals in 40 odd appearances twice it's not a couple of brilliant seasons.

not to mention the seasons he had injury problems. Ronaldo robbing the limelight with step overs. Contract shinanigans. (his own doing admittedly)

Uniteds top goal scorer ever.

5 prem league titles
    champions league
    Fa cup / League cup

Tough tough crowd..:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement