Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wayne f*cking Rooney

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

limnam wrote: »
    Tough crowd when you score 34 goals in 40 odd appearances twice it's not a couple of brilliant seasons.

not to mention the seasons he had injury problems. Ronaldo robbing the limelight with step overs. Contract shinanigans. (his own doing admittedly)

Uniteds top goal scorer ever.

5 prem league titles
    champions league
    Fa cup / League cup

Tough tough crowd..:pac:

That's the point I was making.It's only really those 2 seasons where you could say he was truly great.The rest of his career he's been very good look at the likes of Suarez,Ibrahimovic,Messi,Ronaldo,Lewandowski,Aguero contemporaries of his who have been able to put a string of 5 or 6 brilliant seasons in a row.Rooney has never managed that and he hasn't been a great player since the 2011-12 season when really that great season he had then should have been the kick start to a great run of another 4 or 5 seasons in a row as he was only 26 that season , but sadly he hasn't been great since then.

Still a great player over his career but you feel he could have been so much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

limnam wrote: »
    Tough crowd when you score 34 goals in 40 odd appearances twice it's not a couple of brilliant seasons.

not to mention the seasons he had injury problems. Ronaldo robbing the limelight with step overs. Contract shinanigans. (his own doing admittedly)

Uniteds top goal scorer ever.

5 prem league titles
    champions league
    Fa cup / League cup

Tough tough crowd..:pac:
    To be fair now the poster did say that those two years were a couple of brilliant seasons, Ronaldo robbed the limelight by being a considerably better player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

That's the point I was making.It's only really those 2 seasons where you could say he was truly great.The rest of his career he's been very good look at the likes of Suarez,Ibrahimovic,Messi,Ronaldo,Lewandowski,Aguero contemporaries of his who have been able to put a string of 5 or 6 brilliant seasons in a row.Rooney has never managed that and he hasn't been a great player since the 2011-12 season when really that great season he had then should have been the kick start to a great run of another 4 or 5 seasons in a row as he was only 26 that season , but sadly he hasn't been great since then.

Still a great player over his career but you feel he could have been so much better.

Sorry I read your post incorrectly. I thought you said if he had have at least two.

I'll get my coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

He's not worth keeping around
    Premier League all time (correct as of 23/01/17)
    1 Alan Shearer Blackburn Rovers, Newcastle United 260
    2 Wayne Rooney Everton, Manchester United 195

England goals record
    1 Rooney 53

England appearances record
    1 Shilton 125
    2 Rooney 119
    3 Beckham 115

United appearances record
    1 Giggs 963
    2 Charlton 758
    3 Scholes 718
    4 Foulkes 688
    5 G Neville 602
    6 Rooney 546
    7 Stepney 539
    8 Dunne 535
    9 Irwin 529
    10 Spence 510

United Goal All-Time
    1 Rooney 250
    2 Charlton 249

United League
    1 Charlton 199
    2 Rowley 182
    3 Rooney 180

League, United and other clubs combined
    1 David Herd 222 (United 114)
    2 Denis Law 201 (United 171)
    3 Bobby Charlton 199 (All United)
    4 Wayne Rooney 195 (United 180)

United Europe
    1 rooney 39
    2 VanNistelrooy 38

English Tier 1 League all time
    1 Greaves 357
    2 Bloomer 317
    3 Dean 310
    4 Hodgson 287
    5 Shearer 283
    10 Smith 243
    32 Rooney 195

http://www.free-elements.com/England/ts0.html

Don't really see Wayne getting any more records than those he already has. I suppose he could potentially beat Shilton's England Apps record with 6 more games.

Could potentially catch Neville for the 5th place in the all time United Apps.
    Should catch Rowley for the 2nd place in the United League goals. Don't see him getting 19 more league goals as it stands to catch Charlton.
    Four back from Charlton in the League combined. Could possibly get up past Law this year too if he goes on a run now.
    28 goals puts him in the top 20 of all time league top flight goal scorers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Jayop wrote: »

United Europe
    1 rooney 39
    2 VanNistelrooy 38

This bit sticks out, either Rooney has a poor record or RVN has a phenomenal record because he's surely played way fewer games than Rooney...

This bit sticks out, either Rooney has a poor record or RVN has a phenomenal record because he's surely played way fewer games than Rooney...

Rooney is 39 goals in 96 games.
    Van Nistelrooy is 38 goals in 47 games.

Ruud was a goal machine. He was an exceptional striker for us in Europe those seasons. He also played 100% as the main striker in the box focusing on nothing but scoring.

Rooney has a good return, I don't know his combined assist/goal record but I'd say the percentage would be close enough to Ruud's. Rooney's goal return in europe is 0.40% which is good for a guy that played a fair percentage of those games out wide.

Cantona for example had a return of 0.3% for his European games while in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Yup like I thought Van Nistelrooys stats are off the charts.

Yup like I thought Van Nistelrooys stats are off the charts.

150 goals in 219 games overall for United. 0.69 GPG.

Phenomenal striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

A good option from the bench
    Don't really see Wayne getting any more records than those he already has.

Most yellow cards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Korat wrote: »
    Most yellow cards?

Gareth Barry holds that with 115, Rooneys on 93.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Always felt Rooney was under appreciated among his own (utd) fans more than anyone else.

Maybe if he had a stupid gimmick like wearing his collar up he would get more appreciation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Always felt Rooney was under appreciated among his own (utd) fans more than anyone else.

Maybe if he had a stupid gimmick like wearing his collar up he would get more appreciation

Ah ya.

People love Cantona for the collar bit.

Shyte footballer but man, could he flick up a collar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Yeah we love collars up. Don't know why Fellaini doesn't give it a go, his doubters would instantly love him.

He could try the collar thing indeed, or maybe if he did a racism we'd all get t-shirts printed to support him. He'd definitely feel the love then.

I was hoping his "thing" would be the ripped shirt collar. Did that for his debut. He'd have been a real legend if he made that a gimmick.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The real shame about Rooney is that he should have beaten that record years ago. As he entered his prime he went actually went from scoring 34 odd goals a season to only 16/17, for various different reasons. Had he worked on his fitness and played in his best position he would be well over 300 goals by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Ah ya.

People love Cantona for the collar bit.

Shyte footballer but man, could he flick up a collar.

A lot of the Liverpool fans on this forum seem to be obsessed with Cantona's legacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Liam O wrote: »
    A lot of the Liverpool fans on this forum seem to be obsessed with Cantona's legacy.

Maybe, but I'd hazard that most of them would hold their hands up and give him his due as a world class footballer.

Yer mans statement is just incredibly bizarre, even if his tongue was planted firmly in cheek.

• Advertisement

stankratz wrote: »
    He could try the collar thing indeed, or maybe if he did a racism we'd all get t-shirts printed to support him. He'd definitely feel the love then.

That doesn't even make sense

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Maybe, but I'd hazard that most of them would hold their hands up and give him his due as a world class footballer.

Yer mans statement is just incredibly bizarre, even if his tongue was planted firmly in cheek.

Don't really want tone get in to defining world class but one thing I do know is Cantona was never that.

Always amazes me how utd fans can often hold Cantona in higher esteem than Rooney. Crazy how under rated Rooneys legacy is at times compared to how over rated Cantona's is.

Rooney unfortunately never had a gimmick to rope in the average utd fan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I think real United fans give him the respect and appreciation he deserves for putting the ball in the net for our club 250 times over the last 12 years.

Don't really want tone get in to defining world class but one thing I do know is Cantona was never that.

Always amazes me how utd fans can often hold Cantona in higher esteem than Rooney. Crazy how under rated Rooneys legacy is at times compared to how over rated Cantona's is.

Rooney unfortunately never had a gimmick to rope in the average utd fan

Are you trying to say that the average United fan is in some way different to fans of other clubs?

Are you trying to say that the average United fan is in some way different to fans of other clubs?

Perhaps all the trophies changed them.

Perhaps all the trophies changed them.

Maybe got bored of winning and needed gimmicky players to keep things interesting??

• Advertisement

It's such a dumb view when you'll find that most United fans who are old enough to have watched Cantona regularly would have Scholes and Keane up there with or above Cantona in their list of favourites.
    2 of the least gimmicky players you could possibly think of.

But I guess someone is bored on a Monday night...

It's the wrong thread, but as highly as most of us rate Cantona in terms of what he did for us and how he was that piece of the jigsaw that made everything else fit together, very few United fans would have him included in a premier league era 11. He's held in such high esteem because he made the difference, he was the one who took us from a 26 year drought to winning everything and that enabled us to go on to be the most successful English club in history.

It's nothing to do with his collar being flicked up, and it's pretty childish to suggest so. I guess though in a week that one Liverpool fan on boards managed went on a two day wum mission calling Irish United fans glory hunters for doing the same things he does in supporting his team you have to accept that maybe the crappy run they're on since New Year has them lashing out al around to deflect from their general crappyness.

It's the wrong thread, but as highly as most of us rate Cantona in terms of what he did for us and how he was that piece of the jigsaw that made everything else fit together, very few United fans would have him included in a premier league era 11. He's held in such high esteem because he made the difference, he was the one who took us from a 26 year drought to winning everything and that enabled us to go on to be the most successful English club in history.

It's nothing to do with his collar being flicked up, and it's pretty childish to suggest so. I guess though in a week that one Liverpool fan on boards managed went on a two day wum mission calling Irish United fans glory hunters for doing the same things he does in supporting his team you have to accept that maybe the crappy run they're on since New Year has them lashing out al around to deflect from their general crappyness.

Post started so well before resorting to childish nonsense. Pity!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

At any other club in the league Wayne Rooney's record would make him the greatest player in their history. But scoring 30 goals and finishing 2nd isn't enough at Utd. Unfortunately for him he has always been eclipsed by other players in Utd's best seasons.

As for Cantona, his final act of brilliance was quitting while he was on top. His haters never got to see him become a passenger living off past glories.

Post started so well before resorting to childish nonsense. Pity!

You're literally saying that United fans only hold Cantona in such high regard because he flicked his collar up and you're talking about childish nonsense.

Away and have a look at yourself sit. Between yourself and BMMachine you've made your fans look like right fools this week.

• Advertisement

The kicking a fan and talking ****e about seagulls and trawlers helped aswell

Yeah kicking that c*nt was pretty awesome in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

I think the issue with Rooney is that for much of his time at United he wasn't "the guy", RVN, Ronaldo, RVP and now Zlatan have taken away some of the glory. At another club he could have been the main man for the past decade and would be held up as more of a club legend.

Overall, his contribution to the club has been enormous and happy to see him take the record. It's easy for young players to look at Charlton and think "well I could never achieve that in the modern game, times have changed". Now guys like Rashford can look to Rooneys record at the club as something to emulate and drive them on. Here's hoping he doesn't hold on to the crown for as long as Sir Bobby did

We have so may legends that it's a hard club to break into. Even Giggs, a one club man with our app record by a distance isn't thought of as some sort of a demi God that he would be if he played elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

In fairness to utd fans I know a lot of liverpool fans that would have fowler ahead of Gerrard despite all Gerrard has done.

niallo27 wrote: »
    In fairness to utd fans I know a lot of liverpool fans that would have fowler ahead of Gerrard despite all Gerrard has done.

Really?? I know you guys love fowler and he was an unreal striker for a few years there, but I would have assumed that Gerrard was the No1 player in all your eyes for the premier league era.

Really?? I know you guys love fowler and he was an unreal striker for a few years there, but I would have assumed that Gerrard was the No1 player in all your eyes for the premier league era.

Not for me no to be honest. No one can question what he did for the club but for me I wouid hold hyypia and fowler in higher regard.

• niallo27 wrote: »
    Not for me no to be honest. No one can question what he did for the club but for me I wouid hold hyypia and fowler in higher regard.

No love for Owen?

Every man to his own and all that, but I'm hugely surprised at that. Would it be the Chelsea thing that's influenced that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The only season United didn't win the league with Cantona was when he was suspended. Anyone want to hazard a guess what happened the year after he retired? Or what happened the year before he joined to his Leeds team?

The difference he made to everything, from top to bottom and the culture of the club cannot be overstated. A fantastic player.

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    No love for Owen?

Now now Mick, we're having a nice chat here, you don't have to come in and throw a gernade like that in. :pac:

• Jayop wrote: »
    Now now Mick, we're having a nice chat here, you don't have to come in and throw a gernade like that in. :pac:

Well he was a great goalscorer for Liverpool

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Well he was a great goalscorer for Liverpool

He was in fairness. Should never have went to Madrid, could have been the difference maker for them.

Every man to his own and all that, but I'm hugely surprised at that. Would it be the Chelsea thing that's influenced that?

No just never warmed to his character. I think he is terrible on tv as well. Not saying I still didn't love the guy.

niallo27 wrote: »
    No just never warmed to his character. I think he is terrible on tv as well. Not saying I still didn't love the guy.

Some footballer though!!

very few United fans would have him included in a premier league era 11.

While this may be true and a lot of valid best 11's may not include Cantona, I do think he is very much underrated at this point.

The narrative these days seems to be that he was a great catalyst for the club and a good player, but not a great player.

But that undersells him, he was a great player, a dominant player and in his pomp he was the best player in the Premier league. He dragged United to titles in a way Gerrard could only dream off and not in some vague, inspirational fashion, he did it by scoring goal after goal and winning games that should have been lost.

In terms of talent and ability Cantona was the real deal, people shouldn't forget that.

Liam O wrote: »
    The only season United didn't win the league with Cantona was when he was suspended. Anyone want to hazard a guess what happened the year after he retired? Or what happened the year before he joined to his Leeds team?

The difference he made to everything, from top to bottom and the culture of the club cannot be overstated. A fantastic player.

That's all well and good but if he didn't stick his collar up nobody would have noticed all that stuff.

While this may be true and a lot of valid best 11's may not include Cantona, I do think he is very much underrated at this point.

The narrative these days seems to be that he was a great catalyst for the club and a good player, but not a great player.

But that undersells him, he was a great player, a dominant player and in his pomp he was the best player in the Premier league. He dragged United to titles in a way Gerrard could only dream off and not in some vague, inspirational fashion, he did it by scoring goal after goal and winning games that should have been lost.

In terms of talent and ability Cantona was the real deal, people shouldn't forget that.

Of course he was great, I was lucky enough to see him score in the flesh and he was a hero of mine when I was a teenager. Just an absolute beast of a player and if I was picking an 11 for a season or picking an 11 that had to include a load of young players that needed a leader then he'd be a shoo in. However for a one off game there's players who I'd pick first. Ruud wasn't a leader at all but in terms of a goal getting striker he was the best I've ever seen, Ronaldo would be upfront too so unless you play Eric in midfield (Scholes and Keane) then he's not starting.

That's the same problem Rooney has, his longevity and goal scoring record are unreal but he wouldn't get into too many 11's picked by our fans, even those of us who aren't hyper critical of him. If I was building a squad for many years, he'd be one of the first picks, but not for a one off game.

If I was building a squad for many years, he'd be one of the first picks, but not for a one off game.

I'd be the opposite, a must win one-off game? Then Cantona is getting selected! Ruud as a goalscorer might score more over a season but for somebody to step up and make a vital difference in a big game I'd go with the King.

Its just a pity we didn't have a player like him in the last few seasons, when players with both skill and character were in very short supply.

• Advertisement

I'd be the opposite, a must win one-off game? Then Cantona is getting selected! Ruud as a goalscorer might score more over a season but for somebody to step up and make a vital difference in a big game I'd go with the King.

Its just a pity we didn't have a player like him in the last few seasons, when players with both skill and character were in very short supply.

It was often the big champions league games he didn't perform in though. Utd really should have won more in Europe.

Advertisement