Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wayne f*cking Rooney

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

A good option from the bench
    Pro. F wrote: »
    The poll is ridiculous. Why not include the option of "regular starter" or something like that? Why is the only positive option the extreme of "first name on the team sheet"? Such an obvious effort to manipulate the result.

Knew you'd like it :)

He's not worth keeping around
    The poll is ridiculous. Why not include the option of "regular starter" or something like that? Why is the only positive option the extreme of "first name on the team sheet"? Such an obvious effort to manipulate the result.

Agreed. Terrible poll

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Knew you'd like it :)

At least you're not trying to hide your dishonesty I suppose.

At least you're not trying to hide your dishonesty I suppose.

It was a bit of a laugh for me. I changed it about 5 times before publishing it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Jayop wrote: »
    Because for some 3 wins isn't enough. They should have been 3 very comfortable wins. Or even then they should have been 3 very comfortable wins with Rooney playing 9/10 in each of them to stop the criticism.

He's a notoriously slow starter to get up to full form, but even now whilst not being at full tilt he's made match winning contributions in 2 of these games.

Passed the ball to Valencia a lot tho....

Given he has being playing poorly for more than a year now, maybe its not a question of form anymore? He started last season as the undisputed #9 and was so poor he lost that position and was shoehorned into the midfield to keep him on the teamsheet. He went to the Euros with England where they lost to Iceland and his performance as captain and veteran that England have built themselves around was one of the worst on the pitch. People aren't rushing to judgement unreasonably over three games.

The issue with Rooney is not that he cannot do a job for the team if called upon or that he cant create a chance or cant score a goal if left to play long enough or that he cant roll back the years and deliver an 8/10 performance every few months. It is that United have a better #10 pushed out to the right, and a better #10 on the bench. People can justifiably think that what we get from Rooney is not necessarily the best possible outcome for the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Rooney hasn't been as good as what has been in the past.

On one hand, there may be some decline which it hits different players at different times. He has been shunted all over the place also for the last 3 seasons which I don't think helped. Part of them 3 years was 2 years under a horrible Van Gaal system in which most didn't do well under as attacking was very limited. We're only 3 games into the season and there is some calling for him to be dropped and then there are others who say he is doing well which I think he is doing well enough at the moment and if he can kick on, great. I think his stats at the moment are pretty good compared to the other forwards and I know stats don't show it all but at the moment, they show enough in my opinion.

There are a lot of games to come and I'm sure Mourinho is going to be dropping him for certain games. I'd say he knows better than most seeing him in training day in day out what he is capable of and what he brings to the team.

I wouldn't take how Rooney was with England either as an indication of decline. Lets face it, playing for Roy Hodgson for starters and then the rest of these over hyped players who none set the place alight. A lot of the golden generation who failed aren't playing anymore and personally I don't think a lot of the current crop are anywhere near as good as the previous crop.

Anyway, I don't think he should be dropped yet as he's doing what he is suppose to do. If he was being lazy and pure crap, then drop him but I think the manager will have no problem in doing so anyway. In the meantime, the cometition will hopefully keep him on his toes and hopefully as others in the team, they can improve as the season picks up the pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Sand wrote: »
    Given he has being playing poorly for more than a year now, maybe its not a question of form anymore? He started last season as the undisputed #9 and was so poor he lost that position and was shoehorned into the midfield to keep him on the teamsheet. He went to the Euros with England where they lost to Iceland and his performance as captain and veteran that England have built themselves around was one of the worst on the pitch. People aren't rushing to judgement unreasonably over three games.

The issue with Rooney is not that he cannot do a job for the team if called upon or that he cant create a chance or cant score a goal if left to play long enough or that he cant roll back the years and deliver an 8/10 performance every few months. It is that United have a better #10 pushed out to the right, and a better #10 on the bench. People can justifiably think that what we get from Rooney is not necessarily the best possible outcome for the team.

Hence why for now I would prefer to see him on the left in place of Martial who has been the worst player for us over the three games and we know that Rooney can play quite well in that position. We then can bring in Mkhi and/or Rashford into the team.

Hence why for now I would prefer to see him on the left in place of Martial who has been the worst player for us over the three games and we know that Rooney can play quite well in that position. We then can bring in Mkhi and/or Rashford into the team.

Martial has been poor for 3 games. We know that he can be devastating in that role. How long is it since we've seen Rooney start a game from there?
    We need someone there that's going to take on and beat a man. If Rooney has to be shoehorned in then I'd much rather it be where he is than out on the left where I'd imagine he would be even worse.

Oh and Martial just scored :D

And that might very well be what Mourinho does for the City game (assuming Mkhitaryan is fit anyway). Rooney is actually in a relatively good patch where he has scored and got two assists so I don't think Mourinho will drop him and have to deal with the media drama that would ensue. But Rooney has been shuffled around the team for a year now, not to his benefit or the teams. If Rooney and Martial were dropped you could bring in Mkhitaryan and Rashford.

• Advertisement

Martial has been poor for 3 games. We know that he can be devastating in that role. How long is it since we've seen Rooney start a game from there?
    We need someone there that's going to take on and beat a man. If Rooney has to be shoehorned in then I'd much rather it be where he is than out on the left where I'd imagine he would be even worse.

Oh and Martial just scored :D

Who cares how long it's been. It's not a case of shoehorning him in, it's a case of getting your current best players on form on the pitch in a way that works. Scoring for France besides, he's been awful for the most part. I don't mean awful in a 7/10 way that you would use to describe Rooney, I mean he's actually been awful. Rooney can play on the left, did so countless times for United, very well.

Martial on the left is clearly the long term correct option, I'm talking about one game, maybe two at most to take Martial out of the spotlight.

Who cares how long it's been. It's not a case of shoehorning him in, it's a case of getting your current best players on form on the pitch in a way that works. Scoring for France besides, he's been awful for the most part. I don't mean awful in a 7/10 way that you would use to describe Rooney, I mean he's actually been awful. Rooney can play on the left, did so countless times for United, very well.

Martial on the left is clearly the long term correct option, I'm talking about one game, maybe two at most to take Martial out of the spotlight.

Probably best to let Martial play his way into form no?
    Sure Rooney has been afforded that luxury for years.

Dropping him could backfire altogether.

Oh and Rooney for me has put in a 5 or 6/10 so far not 7.

Probably best to let Martial play his way into form no?
    Sure Rooney has been afforded that luxury for years.

Dropping him could backfire altogether.

Dropping a young player who looks wrecked for a game isn't something likely to backfire.

Oh and Rooney for me has put in a 5 or 6/10 so far not 7.

I know that. The reference to you was the "awful" part not the 7/10 part. I know ratings are subjective, but all the stats sites I looked at have Rooney averaging over 7/10 in the league so far.

Dropping a young player who looks wrecked for a game isn't something likely to backfire.

It's down to one game now?
    He doesn't look physically wrecked at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

From the left, 5 days ago and won us the match. Still waiting to see Mata and Martial do this this season.

This one helped win the club it's first trophy in 3 years.

Personally, I'd keep Martial on the left and drop Mata instead. He isn't delivering the goals like Rooney is this season and he doesn't have the ability to do the above either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It's not a case of shoehorning him in

But it is shoehorning him in. We could play Martial, Depay, Young or even Rashford on the left so why would we put Rooney there? He won't do any better than they would on the left and could easily do worse, and he isn't playing well enough in general to be considered undroppable so moving him out to the left could only be shoehorning him in for the sake of it.

Is he playing well? He's doing ok, he's doing a job, he's putting in solid performances and I'd rather have him in the squad than not.

Is he the very best that United could have in that position? No, he isn't and I think he could be improved upon. And we should always be looking to improve, whether we won three games or not.

From the left, 5 days ago and won us the match. Still waiting to see Mata and Martial do this this season.

This one helped win the club it's first trophy in 3 years.

Personally, I'd keep Martial on the left and drop Mata instead. He isn't delivering the goals like Rooney is this season and he doesn't have the ability to do the above either.

Was waiting for that to be brought up...
    Do you honestly think that Rooney will regularly take on and beat fullbacks?

It's down to one game now?
    He doesn't look physically wrecked at all.

1) IMO he looks exhaused, mentally and physically.
    2) In the post you quoted I had said 1 game, 2 at most. :confused:

But it is shoehorning him in. We could play Martial, Depay, Young or even Rashford on the left so why would we put Rooney there? He won't do any better than they would on the left and could easily do worse, and he isn't playing well enough in general to be considered undroppable so moving him out to the left could only be shoehorning him in for the sake of it.

Is he playing well? He's doing ok, he's doing a job, he's putting in solid performances and I'd rather have him in the squad than not.

Is he the very best that United could have in that position? No, he isn't and I think he could be improved upon. And we should always be looking to improve, whether we won three games or not.

It's not shoehorning him at all if it's to replace someone for one game that has looked really bad so far in a position where eh has played very well, maybe some of his best football for us. In the few minutes he was out left against Hull he did more than Martial had done for 70 minutes before him, so to say he won't do better than them is absolute proven nonsense.

See this is the problem with debating this with you. You make some random statement that you pulled from the wind, someone shows evidence of where you're wrong, be it by way of stats or video, and you dismiss it anyway.

It's a complete waste of time.

1) IMO he looks exhaused, mentally and physically.
    2) In the post you quoted I had said 1 game, 2 at most. :confused:

He barely featured at the Euros. He got more rest thank lot of them.

You went from "for now" to "one or two games" to "one game"

• Advertisement

See this is the problem with debating this with you. You make some random statement that you pulled from the wind, someone shows evidence of where you're wrong, be it by way of stats or video, and you dismiss it anyway.

It's a complete waste of time.

You know what to do then...

That defender f*cked up big time. Are you going to deny that?

No, but Mata won't either, and Martial isn't doing it at the moment. Rooney clearly does still have the ability to beat a player though and perhaps if he was out on the left he might do it more often, or at least more often than our wingers are doing it at the moment. I'd rather keep Martial there though and keep Rooney in the centre.

He barely featured at the Euros. He got more rest thank lot of them.

You went from "for now" to "one or two games" to "one game"

Honestly, that's probably the most pathetic attempt use semantics to derail an argument I've seen in a long time. There's no palpable difference between any of those time frames yet you're trying to make something of it.

I suppose it's easier than forming an actual cohesive argument. :rolleyes:

Honestly, that's probably the most pathetic attempt use semantics to derail an argument I've seen in a long time. There's no palpable difference between any of those time frames yet you're trying to make something of it.

I suppose it's easier than forming an actual cohesive argument. :rolleyes:

An argument like Rooney can play out left because he did years ago when he was good and he beat a player the last game?

If you're being honest you didn't mean one game the first time you mentioned it.

You know what to do then...

That defender f*cked up big time. Are you going to deny that?

You can look at practically any goal ever scored and put it down to defensive errors and miscommunication. Likewise when players take on and beat defenders, you could call it poor defending and perhaps naively trying to win a ball that their not likely to win. Reasonable people will acknowledge that it takes good players to either force defenders into a mistake or else profit from a mistake. At this stage it's obvious that you and others like you are hellbent on not giving Rooney any credit whatsoever whilst delivering a barrage of criticism at any little mistake he makes. It's pointless engaging with you.

An argument like Rooney can play out left because he did years ago when he was good and he beat a player the last game?

If you're being honest you didn't mean one game the first time you mentioned it.

An argument about anything to do with Rooney. You use hyperbole and weight of opinion, it's fine, I know what to expect with you and I won't bother to try to answer you with anything better than you'd reply to anyone who disagree's with you. No more stats, facts, videos, I'll stick to one and two syllable words and complete over reactions to everything in future.

Rooney is the bestest footballer int eh whole world and his dad would beat your dad in a fight.

better?

Oh and you haven't a clue what I meant for by now.

This is a post made a few days ago in the United forum and clearly it was about the City game only and it was the same subject.
    1499425_Manchester_United.jpg

That's what I'd go with Vs City. That's making the assumption that Fellaini is out injured and that Jose will want to play Blind in DM ahead of Carrick or Morgan given neither of them have had any or little game time. Rashford out right to stretch them and use his pace to get at the slow City defense. Rooney on the left to replace Martial who's been our worst performer by a mile this season and Rooney can play there easily enough, Mkhitaryan in behind Zlatan.

Mata and Martial lose out. It's harsh on Mata but I think if you take out Martial then you need to put more pace in somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This reasoning when applied to any argument will never fail to be utterly retarded.
    No, what's retarded is that somebody watching football games on a tv think they know more than Jose Mourinho.

He picks Rooney, they don't want him on the team based on their view through a tv camera.

An argument about anything to do with Rooney. You use hyperbole and weight of opinion, it's fine, I know what to expect with you and I won't bother to try to answer you with anything better than you'd reply to anyone who disagree's with you. No more stats, facts, videos, I'll stick to one and two syllable words and complete over reactions to everything in future.

Rooney is the bestest footballer int eh whole world and his dad would beat your dad in a fight.

better?

Oh and you haven't a clue what I meant for by now.

This is a post made a few days ago in the United forum and clearly it was about the City game only and it was the same subject.

And I know what to expect from you. Sure stick Rooney in goal if we can't get him a place in the midfield or defence...

It's not shoehorning him at all if it's to replace someone for one game that has looked really bad so far in a position where eh has played very well, maybe some of his best football for us. In the few minutes he was out left against Hull he did more than Martial had done for 70 minutes before him, so to say he won't do better than them is absolute proven nonsense.

If we want to rest Martial why not give Depay or Young their chance on the left? Why overlook left sided players to put Wayne Rooney there? He isn't playing so well that he demands a place and he isn't going to pull up any trees as a left winger so why go down that road?

You can look at practically any goal ever scored and put it down to defensive errors and miscommunication. Likewise when players take on and beat defenders, you could call it poor defending and perhaps naively trying to win a ball that their not likely to win. Reasonable people will acknowledge that it takes good players to either force defenders into a mistake or else profit from a mistake. At this stage it's obvious that you and others like you are hellbent on not giving Rooney any credit whatsoever whilst delivering a barrage of criticism at any little mistake he makes. It's pointless engaging with you.

Yet you will if I say anything about Rooney again.

• Advertisement

Yet you will if I say anything about Rooney again.

I might if it's blatantly untrue.

eagle eye wrote: »
    No, what's retarded is that somebody watching football games on a tv think they know more than Jose Mourinho.

Or somebody who thinks they know more than Pep Guardiola.
    Just as an aside, I'm of the opinion that the man they have brought in to replace him is actually worse. I really don't rate Bravo at all.

30 seconds search shows you doing the exact same thing yourself, thats how ****ing stupid your point was. The idea that us mere mortals can't discuss or have opinions on any matter because we aren't champions league winners or top managers is utterly retarded and illogical, not to mention hypocritical.

He picks Rooney, they don't want him on the team based on their view through a tv camera.

What if Messi became available last night and United had the money? Don't buy him because we won all the games so far?

I use extreme examples before anybody goes off on one.

If it ain't broke don't fix it? Do Bayern or Barca say that to themselves every May?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think he has a lot of talent and can provide a big contribution to any side, but I feel that United have seen his best at this point and that a move to another club could be good for the club and player. For the money he is on, Wayne Rooney the impact sub doesn't seem right. I don't think Mourinho will move him on though.

My prediction is he will stay at United until 2018 which I think is when his contract ends, and then I think he will return to Everton. After a spell there I could then see him moving to the US to finish out his final career years at LA Galaxy.

What if Messi became available last night and United had the money? Don't buy him because we won all the games so far?

I use extreme examples before anybody goes off on one.

If it ain't broke don't fix it? Do Bayern or Barca say that to themselves every May?
    You see this isn't May, its the beginning of September. United spent a lot of money and brought in a couple of top class players. Mourinho has looked at them all and decided that Wayne Rooney is going to start.

United have won three games, Rooney has played a big part in that. What's to discuss?

My prediction is he will stay at United until 2018 which I think is when his contract ends, and then I think he will return to Everton. After a spell there I could then see him moving to the US to finish out his final career years at LA Galaxy.

Summer of 2019 actually. Nice bit of business by the club. I think Everton will have enough money from the PL TV deals that a soon to be 34 year old fully declined Rooney wont be occupying a place in their team or squad. When he leaves Man Utd it will more than likely be direct to the MLS or to China. Or just retiring from football - he doesn't strike me as a player hungry enough to be willing to move thousands of miles to pursue one last chance to play.

You see this isn't May, its the beginning of September. United spent a lot of money and brought in a couple of top class players. Mourinho has looked at them all and decided that Wayne Rooney is going to start.

United have won three games, Rooney has played a big part in that. What's to discuss?

End of season... Close of window... not much difference in that scenario.

There's a better 10 on the bench and another stuck out on the right wing. I'm fairly confident both would have a bigger impact on the game if picked there ahead of Rooney. More so Mkhitaryan.

Let him fight with Zlatan to play up top. Let Mkhitaryan and Mata fight for the 10. Let Martial and Depay/Young fight for left side etc. etc.

Yes, it is clear after 3 games that he doesn't fancy the top class players he spent a lot of money to bring in this summer. Now that he has had a chance to "look" at them and all. :pac:

Or somebody who thinks they know more than Pep Guardiola.

30 seconds search shows you doing the exact same thing yourself, thats how ****ing stupid your point was. The idea that us mere mortals can't discuss or have opinions on any matter because we aren't champions league winners or top managers is utterly retarded and illogical, not to mention hypocritical.
    I'm not giving out about him being picked though. I'm saying, before he plays for the club, that I don't rate him. He is going to be picked and you won't find any posts from me saying he should be dropped if City are winning games.

• Advertisement

Yes, it is clear after 3 games that he doesn't fancy the top class players he spent a lot of money to bring in this summer. Now that he has had a chance to "look" at them and all. :pac:
    What are you trying to attribute to me with pathetic post?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

he should go back to Everton he's done everything there is to do with Man U why not go back to his boyhood club i'm sure he'd love to win something with them?

I'm not giving out about him being picked though. I'm saying, before he plays for the club, that I don't rate him. He is going to be picked and you won't find any posts from me saying he should be dropped if City are winning games.

Thats it, go on, pretend you weren't being a complete and utter hypocrite. It'll be alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

he should go back to Everton he's done everything there is to do with Man U why not go back to his boyhood club i'm sure he'd love to win something with them?

money

Thats it, go on, pretend you weren't being a complete and utter hypocrite. It'll be alright.

I've said in the past that I thought Rooney looked like he was going downhill. The only reason I'm posting in this thread is because of the ludicrous opinion on show from a lot of posters who seem to think they know better than someone like Jose Mourinho. FFS they thought they knew a hell of a lot more than Louis Van Gaal and David Moyes.

It's be nice to see an 'I think' in their posts, it'd be nice to see some humility somewhere but you don't see that with these people.

It'd be nice if they thought for a moment about the fact that the four full time managers that have been at Manchester United since Wayne Rooney signed there have all seen him as a starter including the current one who is rated as probably the second best manager over the last decade in football.

I don't for the life of me understand how somebody can have this fantastic view of their own opinion at a time when United have won their first three games of the Premier league season.

I've said in the past that I thought Rooney looked like he was going downhill. The only reason I'm posting in this thread is because of the ludicrous opinion on show from a lot of posters who seem to think they know better than someone like Jose Mourinho. FFS they thought they knew a hell of a lot more than Louis Van Gaal and David Moyes.

It's be nice to see an 'I think' in their posts, it'd be nice to see some humility somewhere but you don't see that with these people.

It'd be nice if they thought for a moment about the fact that the four full time managers that have been at Manchester United since Wayne Rooney signed there have all seen him as a starter including the current one who is rated as probably the second best manager over the last decade in football.

I don't for the life of me understand how somebody can have this fantastic view of their own opinion at a time when United have won their first three games of the Premier league season.

What I say on any matter is my opinion. Do I have to make it clear in every post?

Wayne Rooney is not good enough for United. That's me saying that, my opinion. I thought that was a given.

• Advertisement

What I say on any matter is my opinion. Do I have to make it clear in every post?

Wayne Rooney is not good enough for United. That's me saying that, my opinion. I thought that was a given.
    You see this comes across as a statement of fact. It says that you are saying that Jose Mourinho is wrong to start Wayne Rooney ergo it says that you are stating that you know more about it than Jose Mourinho.

You see this comes across as a statement of fact. It says that you are saying that Jose Mourinho is wrong to start Wayne Rooney ergo it says that you are stating that you know more about it than Jose Mourinho.

Sure close up the forum so. What's the point in us having an opinion on anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Oh for gods sake drop that line. Of course it's his opinion. What else could it possibly be? A scientific theory? You're being incredibly obtuse here - you're calling everyone else out for apparently thinking their opinion is fact while you can't accept that Jose Mourinho could possibly get a decision wrong.

Oh for gods sake drop that line. Of course it's his opinion. What else could it possibly be? A scientific theory? You're being incredibly obtuse here - you're calling everyone else out for apparently thinking their opinion is fact while you can't accept that Jose Mourinho could possibly get a decision wrong.
    I said that while Jose Mourinho has a 100% record at the club that you can't question his decisions. You are trying to make out that I said he is unquestionable at all times. Brush up on your reading skills.

I said that while Jose Mourinho has a 100% record at the club that you can't question his decisions. You are trying to make out that I said he is unquestionable at all times. Brush up on your reading skills.

Is that an opinion, or a statement of fact?

• Advertisement
Advertisement