Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Folding e-bike recommendations

Options
  • 01-09-2016 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭

Having changed jobs recently and being particularly unfit, I've started looking at e-bikes for the "last two miles" of my commute. I'm looking for something that would suit my large size (6' 4") and weight, yet would fold up small enough to take on a Luas or Dart. Most folding bikes are awkward to carry/maneuver when folded. The choice in Ireland seems particularly poor and importing means no option for btw, and no chance to try it out in advance

At the moment the kwikfold pro (http://www.kwikfold.co.uk/) seems to come closest to fitting the bill but was wondering if anyone has any personal experience/recommendations.

I suppose I'm also wondering if I'd be better buying a regular e-bike and cycling the whole distance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

What's the whole distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

About 10k door to door (I'm not at all fit!), or about 3.5k if I use the Luas for part of the journey. Its generally downhill in the morning and uphill in the evening

I don't currently have access to a shower at work

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you have access to a private washbasin you can clean off any amount of muck and sweat (you can probably do it without privacy but not for very long).

In any case, 10km generally downhill shouldn't get you sweaty if you take it easy.

Just get a regular non-e bike.

edit: I know it's really predictable on this forum to be down on e-bikes, but honestly, if you can do 3km you can do 10km. The Luas just seems like more hassle for very marginal gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

If you want an e bike i'd get a regular one and go the whole distance on it. Bringing a folding e bike on the dart would weigh a tonne and be awful cumbersome for a small job. There's some really nice e-bikes out there now that will do a great job for the full 10k.

Some people will advise you against them no matter what, but if that's what you're set on, fair enough I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

If you want an e bike i'd get a regular one and go the whole distance on it. Bringing a folding e bike on the dart would weigh a tonne and be awful cumbersome for a small job. There's some really nice e-bikes out there now that will do a great job for the full 10k.

Some people will advise you against them no matter what, but if that's what you're set on, fair enough I think.

Agree with this but I'd expect you to want a non-e-bike not that long after getting the e-bike! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

traprunner wrote: »
    Agree with this but I'd expect you to want a non-e-bike not that long after getting the e-bike! :D

The n+1 rule applies regardless :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I do 15km on an e-bike (some of the time, others on normal bike), 10km would be a doddle, definitely wouldn't bother with the folding version and going via luas.

Advertisement