Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Redbrick set up as 3 apartments.

Options
  • 01-09-2016 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Is their anything amiss with buying a Redbrick house in City centre Dublin which is set up now as 3 apartments. I would want it to eventually become a family home but don't have kids yet but also don't want to be a tenant landlord.
    Could I rent one flat out as a house share and the other one as say an Airbnb let ? Assuming under 12k allowance for house share, I would be liable for tax on the Airbnb let.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I'm not sure if that would fly. The limits for 12k is for all income from rent-a-room, if you're also operating a commercial AirBnB let they might just not give you the 12k relief for the rent-a-room. Even if it were allowed, they would still be a tenant under law with all the protections of the RTA, except Part 4 if you opt out which is still tenuous since it only refers to buildings split into two, not three.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Thanks. What would be involved in making the house whole again whilst keeping the separate living (3) areas somewhat separate to maximize room rent?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

So in essence one house but 3 kitchens.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A complete rewiring would probably be needed for starters - would be very tenuous to claim its one house with 3 electricity meters. Single access - no "external" internal doors would probably also be required even if you locked all the rooms you used.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

There are likely to be planning issues (especially if it's a protected structure), tax issues (depending on how you let out the property) and practical issues (cost, risk, etc) with your plan. I'd urge you to speak to a professional who can give you the correct advice.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys.

Advertisement