Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Responsibility of white goods maintenance

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

dogbert27 wrote: »
    I didn't know the area had hard water..................

As it's my first time in this country and had no knowledge of the area I did not know it was a hard water area.

My point was that you knew it was a hard water area after the CM first broke down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note
    OP it would have been helpful to know your location from the start, people have taken the time to give advice and contributed based on Irish law. You will have to research local laws and landlord obligations in that country. This is an Irish site and unless informed otherwise people will give advice based on Irish laws and regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

If I'm going to be held responsible for repairs on an expensive coffee machine that will have a recurring problem due to being in a hard water area then I will be buying my own coffee machine or a kettle.

To be fair, If you'd been using it properly then it shouldn't have an issue.

The water where i live/work is like liquid rock. A reading of approx 420-450 (well depending)ppm when the scale tops off at 300ppm....

Our coffee machine has been pumping out approx 50 cups a day for the last year with no issues, as we are regular with the decalcing and the filter changes.

Can i ask about the wisdom of not using a filter? If i see a hoover with no bag in it, then would i be right to assume that it would be grand to not use a bag? If the machine is designed to make use of a filter, then that would likely have been the clever thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I'm not in Ireland. I moved to a nordic country with my family.

Eh - that completely changes things!!

Havent a clue what the landlord is legally obliged to fix and what he isnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

What if, as the OP seems to suggest, it was specifically represented by the landlord to be a feature of the property, thus justifying the higher rent?

Suppose a property was advertised with a swiming pool that subsequebtly was damaged through ordinary wear and tear. Can the landlord in that circumstance say that because it is not part of the minimum standards for rental properties its not his job to fix it?

I cant imagine a coffee machine justifying higher rent - mind you I dont drink coffee myself.

But on the swimming pool - its hard to imagine an apartment in Ireland with a private swimming pool, there may be an apartment block with a shared pool but Id imagine the management company are charged with taking care of that.

If I rented a house with a swimming pool, in Ireland, the landlord would still only be legally obliged to keep up with the minimum standards imo. Im sure we dont have enough rentals with swimming pools in Ireland for it to have been specifically legislated for - maybe in countries where a pool is the norm the landlords are charged with the responsibility for it - but I doubt they would be in Ireland. Im imagining an indoor type pool like in Cocoon. Maybe if it was outdoor itd be considered part of the grounds and thus be the landlords responsibility? I dont know really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Apologies, I did not mean to mislead with not informing which country I am in.

Because I'm Irish and a user of boards I just wanted an opinion on the matter in terms of following an agreed maintenance of the machine with the landlord and that being acknowledged by the landlord but still being faulted for the breakdown.

I have agreed to split the bill with the landlord with the agreement of continuing to replace the filters and start descaling if I choose to continue to use the machine.

Thanks to everyone who offered helpful advice.

Advertisement