Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castleknock to Donnybrook morning commute

Options
  • 01-09-2016 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭

Has any any experience of this ? I have an interview for a job in Donnybrook and was just wondering what the morning commute would be like, google maps is saying 35mins - 1hr departing at 7.30am, I'm a bit skeptical of that

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Could you get the train? Sydney parade is about a 20 min walk from Donnybrook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

threein99 wrote: »
    Has any any experience of this ? I have an interview for a job in Donnybrook and was just wondering what the morning commute would be like, google maps is saying 35mins - 1hr departing at 7.30am, I'm a bit skeptical of that

39A goes through Donnybrook on route to UCD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

January wrote: »
    Could you get the train? Sydney parade is about a 20 min walk from Donnybrook.

The jobs is in RTE so thats a possibility.

Would driving be a nightmare ?

Godge wrote: »
    39A goes through Donnybrook on route to UCD

Ideally I'd like to avoid multiple buses

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd not even consider driving tbh, your brain will be fried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

145 goes from heuston to donnybrook

Stheno wrote: »
    I'd not even consider driving tbh, your brain will be fried.

That's what I was afraid of, google maps said 35 mins to 1 hr but I took that with a pinch of salt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I have a friend leaves Blanch at 7.30 and is in work in Ballsbridge by 8:10 every morning driving.
    If he leaves at 8 its closer to 9.30 , if an early start suits you under an hour is very feasible driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That's what I was afraid of, google maps said 35 mins to 1 hr but I took that with a pinch of salt

Google maps is actually pretty spot on with regards to travel times, I'd trust it. You always have the outliers such as accident or bad weather days, but if you checked it each morning it should see you good.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

I live in clonsilla and work in Donnybrook. I have varying start times but if I start at 7am my drive to work takes 35mins. If i leave my house at 8am i wont get in until almost half 9 tho. What time will you be finished at? When I finish at 5pm my drive home takes an hour and a half usually but if I leave at 4.30 I make it home in 50 mins generally.

As mentioned the 39a and 39 go past rte if you can walk to the navan road stop

• Advertisement

I have a friend leaves Blanch at 7.30 and is in work in Ballsbridge by 8:10 every morning driving. If he leaves at 8 its closer to 9.30 , if an early start suits you under an hour is very feasible driving.

Does he go via the M50?

I live in clonsilla and work in Donnybrook. I have varying start times but if I start at 7am my drive to work takes 35mins. If i leave my house at 8am i wont get in until almost half 9 tho. What time will you be finished at? When I finish at 5pm my drive home takes an hour and a half usually but if I leave at 4.30 I make it home in 50 mins generally.

As mentioned the 39a and 39 go past rte if you can walk to the navan road stop

I'm not sure yet what the hours will be it's n office job so probably 9-5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭micar

would you consider cycling?

Would the quickest!!

micar wrote: »
    would you consider cycling?

Would the quickest!!

I don't fancy taking my life in my hands cycling in the city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Cycling in the city is relatively safe. However if you leave at the times the guys suggest it's not quicker anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I have a friend leaves Blanch at 7.30 and is in work in Ballsbridge by 8:10 every morning driving.
    If he leaves at 8 its closer to 9.30 , if an early start suits you under an hour is very feasible driving.

Maybe last week but certainly not next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Does he go via the M50?
    No down the Navan road , right at the Mater and up Gardiner street and across the Talbot Memorial bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭micar

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Cycling in the city is relatively safe. However if you leave at the times the guys suggest it's not quicker anyway.

You're probably right....but time wise it's consist everyday.

You're never stuck in traffic.

I cris cross the city everyday to and from work. 50 mins each way regardless of the time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

How about a folding bicycle. Cycle to your nearest train station, go to Pearse or Sydney Parade and cycle the rest of the way.
    You can read or listen to music or podcasts on the train and there would be minimal stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

39a stops out side

Driving is not to bad but M50 can be very busy after 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

I don't fancy taking my life in my hands cycling in the city

A lot of the cycle would be down through the Phoenix park and there are reasonable cycle lanes on N11. The only "dodgy" sretch but would be along the quays; which I reckon you could avoid, even if it added 2 or 3 mins to the journey.

I've been cycling to work in Glasnevin from Stillorgan every day for a couple of years, only one incident which was avoidable and completely my fault. The best thing is the consistency in timing; without fail it always takes 32-35 mins to make the journey; any time of the year, whatever the weather.

crisco10 wrote: »
    A lot of the cycle would be down through the Phoenix park and there are reasonable cycle lanes on N11. The only "dodgy" sretch but would be along the quays; which I reckon you could avoid, even if it added 2 or 3 mins to the journey.

I've been cycling to work in Glasnevin from Stillorgan every day for a couple of years, only one incident which was avoidable and completely my fault. The best thing is the consistency in timing; without fail it always takes 32-35 mins to make the journey; any time of the year, whatever the weather.

Hows the cycle on crappy winter days and evenings ?

daymobrew wrote: »
    How about a folding bicycle. Cycle to your nearest train station, go to Pearse or Sydney Parade and cycle the rest of the way.
    You can read or listen to music or podcasts on the train and there would be minimal stress.

That could be do-able

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

At 8am this morning it took me 80 minutes to get from The An Post depot in Coolmine to baggot street, glad I don't live around there!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

46A from park gates top of Infirmary Rd - NCR junction near Garda Depot, stops outside RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I used to cycle 9-10 miles from Carpenterstown to East Point Business Park. It was downhill to work and uphill on the way back. I showered at either end. It was free exercise - I was quite fit.

My working hours were flexible - on frosty mornings I would work from home for 90 mins (8am-9:30am) and then, when it had warmed up, I would cycle in. Other days I would get the train to Drumcondra and a 25 min walk to work (or 12 min run). Crappy weather ain't pleasant but with the right gear it is not horrible.

I enjoyed the fitness part of it - it helped my duathlon times a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I'm doing m50 from blanchardstown to Carrickmines at the moment. Just for a laugh can anyone guess what my commute is?

My best is 22 minutes pre 7.30 and leaving 4.30 or 6.30. 5pm forget it.

Had meeting in Haddington Road 3pm weds. Went from home. Left at 1 and barely got there in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

Right gear is essential (good lights and some decent wet gear). Shower at both ends, ultimately you are only in the crappy weather for 30-40mins. And you are getting exercise on a day when no one else would put their nose out! As another poster said, the level of fitness you develop is satisfying.

Genuinely, there was only once last winter where I thought "Sod this getting wet, I'm sick of it".

Finally, traffic tends to be worse on those crappy winter days, so your smugness at the length of time it takes to commute increases significantly on those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

I live in Clonee and work near Clonskeagh so similar commute. I leave (drive) around 7am and go over m50,usually 35 - 40 mins.leave for home around 4.30pm if can get out and go via rathgar Crumlin kilmainham,phoenix park and takes approx hour.

Anything either direction around peak time is 1.5hrs min. M50 is getting worse each year and crashes most days.

Would love option to cycle but my place won't fork out for a shower.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Used to do D15 to Clonskeagh for years then D.15 to Baggot Street.

I used to drive but it took ages. You have to go early or late. Which is a pain. Driving the times were completely random it might take 40 mins, it might take an hour and 40 mins. Then I cycled. I only really managed it 3 times a week. Took about 40 there 60 mins back. Very consistent. I'm not fit and have a old heavy bike. Never really need to shower. Just left a bag and work and changed. If I was doing it again, I buy an electric bicycle. Or a folding bike and get the train to docklands, or sandymount and cycle out from there. Met a few people who do that.

Wouldn't be in a rush to go back to that commute though. Its so time consuming and saps all your energy. Using a bike a least gives you exercise and gives you back energy.

Advertisement