Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What classic cars are you currently thinking about buying sometime in the near or far

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

I am a fan of them too. Pulled the trigger on one of them years ago but got cold feet. Not known for reliability, especially the electronics.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

A Saab Sonett III (may get a licence first i guess :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CorkMan_

An E28 M5 is one I'd love. Had the chance to buy one at a very very reasonable price a few years ago but for some reason I declined. Regret it since and I cry when I see what they are going for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Saw a Jensen Interceptor on wheeler dealers the other week, love the shape of them, beautiful looking car. I can only dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Volvo 480, if the right one appeared at a time I had a few Euro spare!

There's a guy not far from me who replaced his BMW 2002 for a 480. Blue colour. I see the car always parked in the driveway so probably not used too much.

---

Back to topic... I think I would like to buy another e30 318is for spare parts :D ... get all the nice bits and replace whatever isn't good on my car... electric sunroof instead of manual one? Yes please...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Silvera wrote: »
    Bitter CD

The ultimate Opel :)

unkel wrote: »
    The ultimate Opel :)

Top of the class that man! ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Pitstop Pete

1980s JCB 3CX in hazard yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Great choice!

Here is the last "classic" I bought.
    1973 3C11

yrhc9aB.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Pitstop Pete

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Great choice!

Here is my last "Classic" purchase.
    1973 3C11

yrhc9aB.jpg

Great buy Horse! Will ye do her up or is she for just working around the place? Digging holes and the like? There isn't enough (or any?) auld JCBs being kept.

Bought her for working. Based on an out farm. Compared to a 3CX its like piloting a barge!
    Will tidy up bit by bit, might even paint it. Had a few burst pipes so far (original 1973!) and changed the main hydraulic pump. Changed main hyd. filter which had turned to mush, and put thirty gallons of oil in her.
    Men were men when they spent every day operating one of these yokes...

There is a pretty active Facebook group called "Vintage JCB machines"

Good to see a vintage JCB being saved...and used!:)

My father had one back in the 80's, when he was involved with machinery ..mostly HY-MAC's and draglines.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭gn3dr

What kind of money would an old JCB cost?

A 3cMk2, in good condition, probably up to €2500. Many go for a lot less. 3CMk3 PowerTrains a bit more, as they are a lot nicer to use. They have the shuttle torque converter transmission that was then put into the 3cx models. There was an intermediate transmission with a Brockhouse torque converter, but they are tricky to maintain.
    You can pick a 3cMk2 up from 1000 upwards, but buy the best you can get, cause they'll break your heart with things going wrong.

If you can stretch an extra 2000 or so, go for a 3cx "White cab" model. Difference of day and night in driving experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Triumph Stag
    Jensen Interceptor

Oh the sound

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭vjmcdonnell

Subaru Impreza WRX 1996 (Hopefully this year)

Porsche Boxster (A bit later as need a garage)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Early 00's Jag 2.7 diesel, any pitfalls apart from taxing it?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Yeah. It's a Peugeot / Citroen engine. And not a very good one at all. Why would you go diesel?

• Advertisement

W126 Mercedes S-class V8 petrol, BMW E28 5-series straight 6 auto, but neither are realistic without having a garage. Porsche 944. Or a youngtimer like an early Porsche Boxster, BMW Z3 or Z4

Put my money where my mouth is. Porsche Boxster bought :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Am givin serious thought to a late eighties ford, either a Sierra Saphire or Granada scorpio.

The computers in my merc are beginnin to annoy me intensely

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Yeah. It's a Peugeot / Citroen engine. And not a very good one at all. Why would you go diesel?

99% of the ppl here are petrol heads, the only petrol engine I have (that works) is in a chain saw, so diesel is my preferred fuel type. Reading a bit about it and they seem to be doing 40mpg, and they are used in land rovers and range rovers, but yes, they don't have a great reputation.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

I get notions about various old cars and tractors (as well as other things) as the months roll by.

For the past few weeks I've been considering getting an Austin A30 or A35 or maybe a 2 door Morris Minor, not sure why really. Nothing to my fancy yet though...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 carcrazykieran

Porsche Boxster would be my choice.

Future classics Audi TT, Fiat 500.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Future classics Audi TT, Fiat 500.

Always remember what they called the Audi TT in Car and Driver:

A golf in lingerie.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I drove my brothers (series 1) TT years ago and couldn't get over having the sun-visors in my eyeline. I'm not massive (5.11) but was all but stooping in my seat to see out.

Though lingerie looks good on this golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mmolloy01

I am thinking about an old ish Jag / Daimler, the XJ6 or XJ12, series 1...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 carcrazykieran

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Always remember what they called the Audi TT in Car and Driver:

A golf in lingerie.

I've already got the Golf Mk4 TDi. Not sure about going out in public in lingerie tho.

• Advertisement
Advertisement