Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best primary schools, non-baptised kids

Options
  • 01-09-2016 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Please I would like to know the best primary schools in Galway that accept non-baptised kids. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

mallannius wrote: »
    Please I would like to know the best primary schools in Galway that accept non-baptised kids. Thank you

Isn't it against the law to discriminate against people based on their religion?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Isn't it against the law to discriminate against people based on their religion?

Not when it comes to schools in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

An older thread here about local non denominational schools
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056518836

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If Catholic schools have spaces available, they are happy to accept non-baptised kids. I have no idea if any of them do have spaces left or not.

St Nicholas Parochial School (Church of Ireland) was advertising for students, I don't believe they require CoI membership.

OP, what do you see as the "best" school? Frankly, if you're looking for places for this year, you might have to take whatever you can get. School places aren't as scarce as they were a few years ago, but in some areas they're still over-subscribed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

+1 for St . Nicholas parochial school

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

If Catholic schools have spaces available, they are happy to accept non-baptised kids. I have no idea if any of them do have spaces left or not.

This is true, I can think of several people who've had non-baptised kids accepted in Catholic run schools. I haven't heard anyone giving out about the education their kids are getting so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Which part of the city are you looking at? One thing to consider as part of the "best" school is which secondary they feed into. It can be hard to get the secondary school of your choice if your primary isn't a feeder for that school.

Catholic schools that seem to have spaces (and therefore may take non-baptised children) are the national school on Shantalla road and the croi Iosa school on Newcastle road opposite university hospital. Both are Catholic, mixed, English speaking and have a mix of children from different backgrounds/countries/cultures. I'm not sure how academic these schools are (if you mean that by "best") but you might be in a "beggars can't be choosers" situation unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Scoil Bhride Shantalla always has spaces for children no matter what religion! My daughter goes there and she absolutely loves going to school. They have a lot of resources and also have a very active parents group. If you're looking for a school west of the city i'd highly recommend taking a look, the Principal's name is Frank Keane.
    http://www.scoilbhrideshantalla.ie/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

biko wrote: »
    An older thread here about local non denominational schools
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056518836
    There are no public non denom schools in Ireland. ET schools and some Gaelscoileanna are multi denom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

http://https://galwaysteinerschool.com

There is a Steiner school in Knocknacarra - opened in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

mallannius wrote: »

Nope. Amazingly it's not.

Government's are too weak to rock the boat

There are no public non denom schools in Ireland. ET schools and some Gaelscoileanna are multi denom.

What do you understand the difference to be?

In church terms, "non-denominational" usually means Christian mega church that's not affiliated to any other church. So a non denom school would likely be far more explicitly religious than many Catholic schools are.

Or did you mean there are no public atheist schools in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,480 ✭✭✭✭looksee

In church terms, "non-denominational" usually means Christian mega church that's not affiliated to any other church. So a non denom school would likely be far more explicitly religious than many Catholic schools are.

I am not following that argument? Could you clarify or give examples please?
    Or did you mean there are no public atheist secular schools in Ireland?

Fixed that for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chromosphere

Or did you mean there are no public atheist schools in Ireland?

It's a weird use of terminology that should really be a: "public school" vs b: "private, yet publicly funded school with religious ethos and selection criteria". All of Ireland's schools are type 'b'.

The school rules for primary anyway effectively make it illegal to operate a school without religious instruction as part of the programme. That's why Educate Together can't be a secular system. It had to classify as multi denominational.

The constitution would seem to indicate this shouldn't be the case but we've a la carte constitutionalism here. They only really get upset about things that that matter to large conservative interests...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Is September not late to be asking about schools. The are all sound. Never really heard of a terrible school.

looksee wrote: »
    I am not following that argument? Could you clarify or give examples please?

Take a look at any of the churches in this list: http://www.dublinchurches.com/cgi-bin/churchdb/churchdb.cgi?Searchterm=Non-Denominational

All of them have "Denomination: Non-Denominational"

What it means is that they're independent, not affiliated to any denomination (Catholic, COI, Assembly of God, Methodist, whatever). But they are absolutely religious organisations, usually with very strong beliefs.

I don't know if any of them have schools attached to them. But if they do, you can bet your bottom dollar that the church's religious teaching will permeate the entire day in a way that makes your average Irish Catholic school look decidedly agnostic.

AFAIK, multi-denominational schools in Ireland welcome children who (or whose families):

1) are members of any denominational church
    2) are members of any non-denominational church
    3) explicitly reject the possibility of there being any type of god or spiritual dimension
    4) believe in any of the many types of god / spiritual dimension (angels / Druids / banshee-worship / Hindu / Islam / Budda / Flying Spagetti Monster / etc, etc - whether or not they belong to any church or religious organisation
    5) don't know if there's a god or not, and don't care

and respect all their various beliefs.

A school which was non-denominational in the sense that many schooling-campaigners use the phrase would really only be suitable for children from the 3rd category, because it would not respect the belief systems of the others.

Advertisement