Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i bought this today

Options
  • 01-09-2016 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Hi, I seen this Raleigh pioneer jaguar on donedeal today in Cavan.
    Was looking for a bike with mudguards and pannier rack for riding out in the winter and saving my goodie from the weather.
    It has 18 gears and is old I think, but it looks like it came out of the factory and rides sweet as a nut, with gear changes and brakes working perfectly.
    The owner says it hadn't done more than 100 miles in its lifetime.
    I gave him €130 for it because I just loved the look and feel of it.
    I was just wondering did I get a bargain or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

It doesn't matter what other people think. You sound well pleased with the bike which is what really matters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'll give you €140 for it.
    joking aside, you should have some indicators of age on the bike; wear on tyres (assuming they're original) and signs of wear on the handlebar grips, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

i'll give you €140 for it.
    joking aside, you should have some indicators of age on the bike; wear on tyres (assuming they're original) and signs of wear on the handlebar grips, etc.

Would you believe its still on the original tyres and the little rubber tits are still on them, they look a little perished but are staying hard and just done about 12k after I brought it home, rides as well as my road bike, just no drop down handlebars.
    He said he thought it was around 15 years old, I still cant believe that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Replace the brake pads. They will have hardened over 15 years and won't be as effective as new ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Replace the brake pads. They will have hardened over 15 years and won't be as effective as new ones.

I m leaving it in to a local bike man here today for a service and telling him check and replace anything needs doing on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If you get a couple of winters out of it then it will have more than paid for itself and will owe you nothing after that. €130 isn't much to give for a full working bike especially with full commuting accessories included.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Eamondomc wrote: »
    I m leaving it in to a local bike man here today for a service and telling him check and replace anything needs doing on it!

Just get him to give you prices first. "Anything needs doing" can mean a lot of different things to different people and you don't want a surprise bill when you go to pick it up...

Advertisement