Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat roof home insurance

• 01-09-2016 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

That time of year again and hoping to get best quote available!! Got a good quote from allianz taking into account the extension for the kitchen is a flat roof at just over 20% of total space. However, partner happened to mention the garage roof which I must admit never occurred to me at all!! This is also flat, garage is joined to house and is larger than the kitchen!! Will this now make getting insurance nigh on impossible if anyone's experience???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Hi Bluelass, how did you get on with insurance quotes?
    We have a new flat roof extension to an old building. The roof is about 40% flat, 60% standard pitch roof. Got a renewal quote from Allianz but was trying to shop around. KBC told me they would only insure up to 20% flat roof. I remember coming up against this problem previous years when looking for quotes.
    Anyone know who is likely to insure? It's painful trying to get through to them all for quotes!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BlueLass

emer_b wrote: »
    Hi Bluelass, how did you get on with insurance quotes?
    We have a new flat roof extension to an old building. The roof is about 40% flat, 60% standard pitch roof. Got a renewal quote from Allianz but was trying to shop around. KBC told me they would only insure up to 20% flat roof. I remember coming up against this problem previous years when looking for quotes.
    Anyone know who is likely to insure? It's painful trying to get through to them all for quotes!!

Hi, allianz wouldn't even quote me!! Anyway,ended up going with Britton insurance brokers in Donegal, really surprised with the quote, was half of what I was dreading!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭rahenyrover

I had similar issues - 40% flat roof. Went through a Broker who got me Insurance at less than half of what I was getting online. Definitely worth talking to a broker in scenarios like this were it doesn't fit the "standard" box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Thanks to you both, I will definitely go to a broker before I renew!
    There seems to be an archaic view that flat roofs are a disaster and are almost uninsurable. Ours was built to a high spec by professional roofers but insurance companies don't seem to care about that.
    Thanks for the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

emer_b wrote: »
    Thanks to you both, I will definitely go to a broker before I renew!
    There seems to be an archaic view that flat roofs are a disaster and are almost uninsurable. Ours was built to a high spec by professional roofers but insurance companies don't seem to care about that.
    Thanks for the advice

Standard flat roofs give a huge maintenance issue for insurers and leads to problems when claims occur. All policies excludes losses from wear & tear and people will not accept that rain coming in isn't storm damage.

As you say, there are high spec flat roofs out there, but many of these have had installation issues and again, policyholders will not accept that defective workmanship is also an exclusion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement