Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

radio nova

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

And your point? Did I say something negative?

No - your reference to Bob Gallicoe and the old Nova reminded me of the links that some of the current Radio Nova's presenters have with the '80s superpirates. I don't know if it tells us anything but it is interesting anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭PissFlapsDory

Yeah. Loved the really really old Radio Nova, was really way ahead of its time.
    John Clark. Ghaughren....the names just come flooding back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Yeah. Loved the really really old Radio Nova, was really way ahead of its time.
    John Clark. Ghaughren....the names just come flooding back.

Loved the Rick Dees show...now he was funny....

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭PissFlapsDory

Risk Dees was a total laff. Knew how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I did get the opportunity to listen to Nova over the last few weeks. I really liked Greg Gaughren and the music he played. Didn't get to hear the breakfast show so cant comment on that. The afternoon show was ok but the music was very scattergun in approach.

• Advertisement

Great to hear GG play British sea power today...his choice..? I hope so...maybe some Red lorry yellow lorry, Wedding present,Birthday party tomorrow Greg....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Are the on-air callers to Pat Courtenay real?

Well their human if thats what you mean...:D:D:D:D

of course not...he's just trying to bring fun to the station...:rolleyes:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

The traffic report/'flash for cash' ones must be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭guile4582

More importantly, could Pat Courtenay present his whole show without a soundboard?

• Advertisement

guile4582 wrote: »
    More importantly, could Pat Courtenay present his whole show without a soundboard?

Doubt it.....like the breakfast show duo....guess which one is which....:P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mcKzDwm8_o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Bloody android app and web player aren't working again :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 36 More Tea

I see Chancer Brannigan was using the Journal.ie as his latest desperate publicity platform here http://www.thejournal.ie/radio-nova-kevin-branigan-2-3207258-Jan2017/

And yet the Journal is owned by the same people that own Boards. The site he said was "against the station".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The Randomiser....

No Pat, it's just you picking a song you like and haven't played in two days

If I hear Substitute by The Who again....��

NovaTV........Yikes...:eek:

With his "intrest" in his other businesses, explains a lot about Nova....his mind is elseware it seems...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,229 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

More Tea wrote: »
    I see Chancer Brannigan was using the Journal.ie as his latest desperate publicity platform here http://www.thejournal.ie/radio-nova-kevin-branigan-2-3207258-Jan2017/

And yet the Journal is owned by the same people that own Boards. The site he said was "against the station".

yup. one really couldn't make this sort of stuff up.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Broadcastonfm

Wow , radio station publicises itself . More luck to Nova !

yup. one really couldn't make this sort of stuff up.

Seems to me some posters have been making it up for years 🙏

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

??? Does not compute.

Boards.ie does not generate content. Boards.ie cannot be for or against anything. It's a number of users on this forum who have a massive vendetta against Radio Nova and this Brannigan guy, not boards.ie itself. The post above is yet more evidence of this.

If thejournal.ie refused to carry any content that was disagreeable to one or other of the lunatic fringes on boards.ie, it would be a very sparse website.

Just stop listening. It's that easy lads. I'm continually baffled by you guys who claim to hate Nova but listen non-stop, waiting for something to be outraged by.

okay, i will spell this out. there is no vendetta against radio nova or mr Brannigan by anyone on here. criticism of a station is not a vendetta. i don't listen myself, but browse this thread out of interest. however when someone claims there is a vendetta against them on the basis of people criticising a station then some clearer minds need to step up and bring some reality to proceedings.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I'd echo the above. Unfortunately, it's human nature not to rush online and post when you are enjoying radio/TV shows. That means that threads here and elsewhere tend to be more negative in tone because the people who like what they hear are off enjoying that and not posting in here to give out about it.

I don't like Nova because it's not aimed at me and I don't like classic rock. It's nothing personal against any of the presenters, it's just not for me. I can be a bit caustic about it because it tends to wind me up whenever I've accidentally tuned it in. Segments about how to do basic things on your phone are obviously not intended for my demographic so it's just irrelevant to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

okay, i will spell this out. there is no vendetta against radio nova or mr Brannigan by anyone on here. criticism of a station is not a vendetta. i don't listen myself, but browse this thread out of interest. however when someone claims there is a vendetta against them on the basis of people criticising a station then some clearer minds need to step up and bring some reality to proceedings.

Eminently sensible words. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to reconcile them with things like:
    I see Chancer Brannigan was using the Journal.ie as his latest desperate publicity platform.
    or
    Brannigan is one of the biggest anoraks in the industry and it wouldnt surprise me if he's bumping this thread back to page 1 of this forum to feed his own ego.

That is not criticism of the station, it's personal abuse of the guy running it.

If you think the above quotes are sensible discussion of a radio station, then I can see why we disagree.

??? Does not compute.

Boards.ie does not generate content. Boards.ie cannot be for or against anything. It's a number of users on this forum who have a massive vendetta against Radio Nova and this Brannigan guy, not boards.ie itself. The post above is yet more evidence of this.

If thejournal.ie refused to carry any content that was disagreeable to one or other of the lunatic fringes on boards.ie, it would be a very sparse website.

Just stop listening. It's that easy lads. I'm continually baffled by you guys who claim to hate Nova but listen non-stop, waiting for something to be outraged by.

Nah, just hoping i might hear better tracks...Nova is a bit like an scab..it hurts when you pick it, but its kinda nice hurt....:)

Eminently sensible words. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to reconcile them with things like:

or

That is not criticism of the station, it's personal abuse of the guy running it.

If you think the above quotes are sensible discussion of a radio station, then I can see why we disagree.

that is one poster's opinion, if rather personal i would agree. personal attacks aren't allowed here, so you can report the posts. however, one person's odd post does not a vendetta make. if i felt they're was any vendetta against anyone i would be the first to call it out. they're really isn't one in relation to radio nova or it's staff.

They just played One by Metallica!! Sadly it was at 4.30am. Wish they'd play more like that during the day but guess it's not "pop" enough daytime Nova listeners :(

FanadMan wrote: »
    They just played One by Metallica!! Sadly it was at 4.30am. Wish they'd play more like that during the day but guess it's not "pop" enough daytime Nova listeners :(

It was probably a mistake...should have been their "classic" Enter sandman....;)

that is one poster's opinion, if rather personal i would agree. personal attacks aren't allowed here, so you can report the posts. however, one person's odd post does not a vendetta make. if i felt they're was any vendetta against anyone i would be the first to call it out. they're really isn't one in relation to radio nova or it's staff.[/quote

Just wrong

The point here is that the page tolerated the personal abuse . The post should have been taken down . Is it not against boards own charter to disallow personal abuse ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

That newsreader is hard to listen to.

Just looked at their website...why has John Clarke got #2FM tag on his profile picture. They didn't just lift it from his 2FM days

guys we seriously need to talk about morning glory - marty goes facebook free for feb

oh my sh1t and this station has the audacity to have a promo saying its not like other inane radio stations with forced laughter etc.

seriously!!! is it just me or are these guys actually trolling us???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I stopped listening to Radio Nova about 6 months ago. I used to be a Nova zealot.

i only listen in the car - because as mentioned the music (for most part) is the best out there for my taste

maybe I need a new car that has an aux input!!

guys we seriously need to talk about morning glory - marty goes facebook free for feb

What do you mean..??
    i only listen in the car - because as mentioned the music (for most part) is the best out there for my taste

maybe I need a new car that has an aux input!!

Is it an 80's car.......stick in a cassette......biggrin.png.....

Its not the car thats the problem..wink.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What do you mean..??

Is it an 80's car.......stick in a cassette......biggrin.png.....

Its not the car thats the problem..wink.png

I seem to remember VW had some baseline cars with a cassette only unit until the late 1990s!

L1011 wrote: »
    I seem to remember VW had some baseline cars with a cassette only unit until the late 1990s!

:D:D:D......no way.....I've been listening to some old BBC evening shows I taped in the 90s....some cracking stuff

L1011 wrote: »

its a pug. cd and radio only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭furiousox

Who's idea was it to put that Australian girl on nova in the mornings?
    She has not got a voice suited to radio, and that's putting it mildly.
    As soon as I hear that whiny nasal drone I either hit mute until she's gone or change channel for a couple of minutes.

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    She has not got a voice suited to radio, and that's putting it mildly.
    As soon as I hear that whiny nasal drone I either hit mute until she's gone or change channel for a couple of minutes.

But at least she can pronounce Irish things (including some really Irish placenames) properly.....unlike the "learned colleague" that does the news on Pat Cournays shows.

My current gripe is the poor woman that does The A-Z of Rock. I'd say she is totally embarrassed by what it put out in her voice. To me it sounds like she had to record an Irish and English version and some eejit spliced them together to make it sound like the most bastardised language ever. I know that it's probably just KBs way of trying to follow the BAIs laws on Irish content, but it just comes off sounding like a teenager sticking out their tongue at the teacher.

furiousox wrote: »
    She has not got a voice suited to radio, and that's putting it mildly..common..??

:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

But at least she can pronounce Irish things (including some really Irish placenames) properly.....
    No she can't. Howth a particular problem. And derby games too

cdeb wrote: »
    No she can't. Howth a particular problem. And derby games too

She can - to my culchie ears anyway lol :P Heard her doing sport results.....club GAA stuff and had the clubnames perfect. Anyway, her pronunciation is better than hearing tHaoiseach and tHainiste multiple times an afternoon. Might just be one of my bugbears but I'll still keep listening to Nova.

• Advertisement

If you think she's bad...Johnny Bowe..all fcuking day...Patrick Thistle...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

She can - to my culchie ears anyway lol :P Heard her doing sport results.....club GAA stuff and had the clubnames perfect. Anyway, her pronunciation is better than hearing tHaoiseach and tHainiste multiple times an afternoon. Might just be one of my bugbears but I'll still keep listening to Nova.

Advertising your stupidity you clown. Defending one person over another merely because of your putrid prejudices. The young woman reading the news in the mornings is doing her very best in a trying circumstances, notwithstanding having to negotiate Irish placenames etc in a station not geared towards news and the bloke on afternoons may be high and mighty but has a great voice and strong delivery. Taoiseach is an Irish word and therefore is pronounced correctly 'as gaeilge'. You're a bloody imbecile slagging off young people earning a pittance doing their best working in an unfriendly environment. Get real you dope.

Advertising your stupidity you clown. Defending one person over another merely because of your putrid prejudices. The young woman reading the news in the mornings is doing her very best in a trying circumstances, notwithstanding having to negotiate Irish placenames etc in a station not geared towards news and the bloke on afternoons may be high and mighty but has a great voice and strong delivery. Taoiseach is an Irish word and therefore is pronounced correctly 'as gaeilge'. You're a bloody imbecile slagging off young people earning a pittance doing their best working in an unfriendly environment. Get real you dope.

Emmmm not get the lay in awhile?

Emmmm not get the lay in awhile?

Was thinking kinda the same thing lol.....Especially seeing as I was defending her pronunciation :D

I thought personal abuse was an offence on here....:confused:

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I thought personal abuse was an offence on here....:confused:
    It is yeah.

So is backseat moderating.

Caught the results of Jukebox Hero this morning. Marty won with 55.5555% of the votes...and by one vote.

Would they really get as few as 9 votes for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

cdeb wrote: »
    Caught the results of Jukebox Hero this morning. Marty won with 55.5555% of the votes...and by one vote.

Would they really get as few as 9 votes for that?

Easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,711 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I do hope that wasn't Ed Sheeran i just heard on Nova.

Am i the only one who doesn't one the fuss made over the radiothon? Comes across as virtue signalling to me. I also have a distrust of larger commercial charities who have no real reason to solve the problems they're set up to solve. Plus media mis-reporting doesn't help, like the fuss over the homeless guy who died outside the Dail a few years back, and it emerged that he'd been given two houses and made the same bad decisions twice to end up where he was. But instead we hear about how we're all only two or three months without a pay cheque away from being on the streets ourselves, which is a complete lie when you look at how hard it is to get your house repossessed here.

Anyways, that's my rant over. ☺

• Advertisement
Advertisement