Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

radio nova

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Kyle More

ORBY73 wrote: »
    ****in Morty and his fat head was on TV3 today

Virgin Media One? What show? They seem to have a very cosy relationship, Virgin and Nova. Between Lucy's TV work with them (and constant plugging on Nova) and now Marty is appearing on their programming. I think a merger may be on the cards. Once/if they acquire a national licence, it'll be a relaunched as Virgin Radio Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭ORBY73

Kyle More wrote: »
    Virgin Media One? What show? They seem to have a very cosy relationship, Virgin and Nova. Between Lucy's TV work with them (and constant plugging on Nova) and now Marty is appearing on their programming. I think a merger may be on the cards. Once/if they acquire a national licence, it'll be a relaunched as Virgin Radio Ireland.

Some chat show with ur one Ruth presentin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

Ive been having some early morning commutes and Radio Nova is good company and generally excellent to listen to. Until about 10 past 6am when they make that big overblown announcement "And now everybody its time for the Colm and Lucy Show" as if he was introducing Tommy Tiernan. And then its flick city to get away from horrible inane chat. Even RTE one generally plays more music between that time and half 6 when ive been landing at work. Unfortunately Radio na Life is still in bed, I discovered it during the summer, Im not a Gaeilgoir, but my word they play a lot of music and it is often brilliant and always random. I dont understand, and I hate, the seeming need for a cheesy pair of djs anyway. These morning shows are usually much better when one is missing for random reasons, and theres no crap bantz and just music. Please...someone...try it. Argh.

My other pet hate at the station is Pat Courtney. Ugh! His songs are often passable to good, though in dire need of The Randomiser (what a cod, basically needing a big run up to play a song that he didnt play yesterday). But when he speaks, my word, its dentist drill in your ear time. Those 'special effects' that a cheesy morning dj would be ashamed off. Temperatures are going to drop tonight and rise again tomorrow. Oh hell. Let me know the night and day this doesn't happen, til then let it go. Drop the 'getting you home on time' rubbish. Dublin City FM does that brilliantly if you want that information. Coalition of the unwilling? With the crash bang wallop sound effect. He does know that real people get proper hurt and might suffer greatly in anyone of these incidents? Idiot. Idiot. Idiot. But possibly the most irksome trait is his speech impediment that means that every time he comes on between a song or after a break he will say his own name. Pat Courtney. I get it, I was a long term listener but he broke me. I sometimes listened to hear if he didnt ever not say it. And it happened. He said "hi I'm Ruth Scott", cos he was covering her show! Ha well that was chucklesome, but talk about the exception that proves the rule. I get the whole self promotion for him and the station but give it a break. I had to. And thankfully found the aforementioned RnaL and Dublin City Fm to be the musical breathe of fresh air Radio Nova once offered to be.

Er rant over, sorry about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Nice to hear from a regular listener (that isnt a regular on here) who has finally succumbed to the tripe that is nova...
    Maybe Branigan will start listening to the few.......:rolleyes:

Maybe Branigan will start listening to the few.......:rolleyes:

Pigs might fly. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that Hayes would simply laugh at him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭jimmymack

darlett wrote: »
    Ive been having some early morning commutes and Radio Nova is good company and generally excellent to listen to. Until about 10 past 6am when they make that big overblown announcement "And now everybody its time for the Colm and Lucy Show" as if he was introducing Tommy Tiernan. And then its flick city to get away from horrible inane chat. Even RTE one generally plays more music between that time and half 6 when ive been landing at work. Unfortunately Radio na Life is still in bed, I discovered it during the summer, Im not a Gaeilgoir, but my word they play a lot of music and it is often brilliant and always random. I dont understand, and I hate, the seeming need for a cheesy pair of djs anyway. These morning shows are usually much better when one is missing for random reasons, and theres no crap bantz and just music. Please...someone...try it. Argh.

My other pet hate at the station is Pat Courtney. Ugh! His songs are often passable to good, though in dire need of The Randomiser (what a cod, basically needing a big run up to play a song that he didnt play yesterday). But when he speaks, my word, its dentist drill in your ear time. Those 'special effects' that a cheesy morning dj would be ashamed off. Temperatures are going to drop tonight and rise again tomorrow. Oh hell. Let me know the night and day this doesn't happen, til then let it go. Drop the 'getting you home on time' rubbish. Dublin City FM does that brilliantly if you want that information. Coalition of the unwilling? With the crash bang wallop sound effect. He does know that real people get proper hurt and might suffer greatly in anyone of these incidents? Idiot. Idiot. Idiot. But possibly the most irksome trait is his speech impediment that means that every time he comes on between a song or after a break he will say his own name. Pat Courtney. I get it, I was a long term listener but he broke me. I sometimes listened to hear if he didnt ever not say it. And it happened. He said "hi I'm Ruth Scott", cos he was covering her show! Ha well that was chucklesome, but talk about the exception that proves the rule. I get the whole self promotion for him and the station but give it a break. I had to. And thankfully found the aforementioned RnaL and Dublin City Fm to be the musical breathe of fresh air Radio Nova once offered to be.

Er rant over, sorry about that.

+1 for Raidió na Life. I will admit that I'm biased having volunteered for them, but there's a great deal of freedom given to the presenters that doesn't exist on other stations. That doesn't necessarily equate to top-class content, but it does mean that presenters can play around with different ideas, experiment with varying genres of music, and develop their broadcasting skills. And some of the shows are really enjoyable.

I don't think there's a show dedicated to rock music on the station at the moment, maybe someone from here might like to fill that niche? :pac:

jimmymack wrote: »
    I don't think there's a show dedicated to rock music on the station at the moment, maybe someone from here might like to fill that niche? :pac:

Max, I nominate you :D

jimmymack wrote: »
    +1 for Raidió na Life. I will admit that I'm biased having volunteered for them, but there's a great deal of freedom given to the presenters that doesn't exist on other stations. That doesn't necessarily equate to top-class content, but it does mean that presenters can play around with different ideas, experiment with varying genres of music, and develop their broadcasting skills. And some of the shows are really enjoyable.

Thats a cracker of an idea, and as alluded to the morning shift is available if you would volunteer as an early bird dj. Please! ;)

darlett wrote: »
    Thats a cracker of an idea, and as alluded to the morning shift is available if you would volunteer as an early bird dj. Please! ;)

Maybe Pat James could record a show for them.....he seems to have more vinyl than me...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭AlgerShane

Well he is a spud head......:D

Is his show the only one that gets plugged...every ad break it seems....

Yeah, hogging the station sums it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭roadmaster

i am fan of The Commitments and i have seen them twice over the years. But can some one explain to me how Try a Little Tenderness manages to get in to the radio nova playlist?

roadmaster wrote: »
    i am fan of The Commitments and i have seen them twice over the years. But can some one explain to me how Try a Little Tenderness manages to get in to the radio nova playlist?

Theres a guitar in it......:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

roadmaster wrote: »

Been played for years now on nova, in fairness its more rock / soul than pop.

There are plenty of other examples of songs that get played regularly on nova that wouldnt be classed as rock...annie lennox "little bird" for one...and the 80s shows have a lot of 'new romantics' and 'synth pop' stuff

Im still surprised that ed sheeran hasnt been played ...yet!

Im still surprised that ed sheeran hasnt been played ...yet!

That's because Hayes isn't a fan. He said so on the breakfast show one morning. He thinks he's overrated. I found myself in the unusual position of actually agreeing with his sentiments.

Foo's next August btw....and ask Santa for the new PR album.....;)

I heard a new ad about how (supposedly) great their music is this morning. The character of 'Bob' is once again featured. Basically, the narrator is pondering in soliloquy who chooses the music for Nova and how great a person they must be, but.....we hope it's not Bob, we're worried about Bob. If the theory is to be believed that 'Bob' is referring to our good selves then it's clearly not Bob who chooses Nova's music, as Bob might actually play something good. I had to end my weekly penance once they began harping on about Cheryl Cole/Tweedy. Jesus wept!

Maybe its Hayes nickname for Branigan for obvious reasons.....Bowled Over Branigan.......or Bereft Of Balls.......:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭prunudo

Every ad break, every news programme, every second link refer to that stupid show.
    Do they know they're trying to flog a dead horse or is it just his bloody ego and wanting to believe he's better than 104 and 98fm.
    Or even that he's created a line up of presenters who think the sun shines out of his arse.

Working from home today so thank god for Planetrock.

jvan wrote: »
    Every ad break, every news programme, every second link refer to that stupid show.
    Do they know they're trying to flog a dead horse or is it just his bloody ego and wanting to believe he's better than 104 and 98fm.
    Or even that he's created a line up of presenters who think the sun shines out of his arse.

Working from home today so thank god for Planetrock.

IM..Bring your daughter.../ Phil Campbell..... i thought it was nova.....:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭AlgerShane

What does everyone else think of the Nova Guestlist with Kieran McGuinness from the Delorentos ? Does anyone else agree that Nova basically have two Peter Devlin-esque shows at last?

• Advertisement

AlgerShane wrote: »
    What does everyone else think of the Nova Guestlist with Kieran McGuinness from the Delorentos ? Does anyone else agree that Nova basically have two Peter Devlin-esque shows at last?

Theyre novas answer to Rick Wakeman and Alice Cooper............no offence Peter,.........:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Liam Quigley on this morning instead of those 2. Knew something was different when I got up and 2 good songs played in a row without that stupid voice over saying "This is the bit where we play 2 songs in a row".

Should just give him the job. Less inane chat, plays good songs and when he does talk, usually has a bit of trivia about the music he's playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Ah.. they must be trying to boost ratings again ;)

Wheety wrote: »
    Liam Quigley on this morning instead of those 2. Knew something was different when I got up and 2 good songs played in a row without that stupid voice over saying "This is the bit where we play 2 songs in a row".

Should just give him the job. Less inane chat, plays good songs and when he does talk, usually has a bit of trivia about the music he's playing.

And next Monday and Tuesday too.

Kamili wrote: »
    Ah.. they must be trying to boost ratings again ;)

well we all know how they could boost the ratings PERMANENTLY dont we....but it seems someone is afraid clueless..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭peterobrien100

AlgerShane wrote: »

I listen to Nova a lot in the evenings and there is a large distinction between both KMcG and PD shows.

Peter would be a lot more varied and wide spread in his choice of music including bands and albums tracks not rarely heard on Nova while Kieran is a little bit more main stream slightly leaning over to the TXFM Side.

However where they cross paths is in relation to any artists coming to town Kieran will normally play music from any particular artist / genre where Peter will normally music from an artist he features / regularly plays Van Morrision and David Byrne / talking heads would be an example of this.

Have to say on Sunday evenings with OTR confined to the Digital Wonder Web and me stuck with FM I have warmed a lot to Kieran he has really settled in and has a nice style of presenting.

And next Monday and Tuesday too.

Might down on my radio in the mornings then lol !

I listen to Nova a lot in the evenings and there is a large distinction between both KMcG and PD shows.

Peter would be a lot more varied and wide spread in his choice of music including bands and albums tracks not rarely heard on Nova while Kieran is a little bit more main stream slightly leaning over to the TXFM Side.

However where they cross paths is in relation to any artists coming to town Kieran will normally play music from any particular artist / genre where Peter will normally music from an artist he features / regularly plays Van Morrision and David Byrne / talking heads would be an example of this.

Have to say on Sunday evenings with OTR confined to the Digital Wonder Web and me stuck with FM I have warmed a lot to Kieran he has really settled in and has a nice style of presenting.

Download the app and listen through your phone/tablet...and get a bluetooth speaker....simples..;)

Download the app and listen through your phone/tablet...and get a bluetooth speaker....simples..;)

Need phone for work purposes so its a non option unfortunately !

• Advertisement

The app should run in the background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I use an old phone with no sim and a set of cheap speakers.

Nova up to their old tricks of deleting negative comments from Facebook again *sigh*
    It wasn't even a negative comment per se, just a poster asking why they're talking about the Spice Girls on the breakfast show. Valid question, if you ask me.

Anybody else think the promo for the first participant in the christmas party competition is scripted. Sounds very rehearsed and dare I say it, fake.

The app should run in the background.

Thanks will give this a go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Had the station on a lunch time today... I heard that Colm and Lucy are threatening to show up at peoples xmas parties...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Jaysus just one look at the FB page paints an ugly picture.... It's just a page of news headlines... Is this all colm hayes fault or did something really bad happen to nova.... It's absolutely unrecognisable now.

Is this all colm hayes fault or did something really bad happen to nova....

Colm Hayes IS the bad thing that happened to Nova.

Colm Hayes IS the bad thing that happened to Nova.

But its also the continual dumbing down of the rock element and morphing into the same as every other station. News stories mentioning the Spice Girls selling out is a prime example.

But its also the continual dumbing down of the rock element and morphing into the same as every other station. News stories mentioning the Spice Girls selling out is a prime example.

That's very true. In fairness, the rot was already setting in before Hayes arrived. But he has certainly exacerbated the situation under his direction.

That's very true. In fairness, the rot was already setting in before Hayes arrived. But he has certainly exacerbated the situation under his direction.

Imo the station was in an identity crisis...it was losing money hand over fist, losing listeners and respect as the rock station it was supposed to be...i'm sorry but playing the same ACDC tracks over and over doesn't make a good rock station...it needed an enthusiastic forward thinking music ( guitar based) loving head of programming....but instead they got Hayes.....ye made yer bed Kev...;)....

• Advertisement

Indeed. The constant repetition of tracks from 1994's 'Rock Anthems' compilation wasn't a sustainable business model. But instead of branching out and also digging that bit deeper into the catalogues of those very artists that they actually played, thereby providing a real alternative and filling a gap in the market with a credible rock station, they decided to abandon its intended purpose to join the rest of Irish radio in house no. 100 on Bland Street (between its neighbours no. 98 and no. 104). The question now is where do they go from here? Hayes hasn't led them to the Promised Land, their core audience is leaving them in droves and their reputation as an alternative lies in tatters. Your average listener won't bother with them as there already are superior alternatives to cater for the mainstream, but their core listeners have had enough. Brannigan has certainly made his bed, badly at that.

Hayes doesnt give a flying fcuk about Branigan or nova...his main aim in life is to feed his own ego by always "being there"...doesnt matter on what station as long as its daytime...and his displacement of PJ was done out of pure spitefulness..he was no threat (except for Pats ever increasing audience) but he still didnt want him there...He's made a mockery of the BAI, Branigan and the whole station....he really needs to be taken down a peg or five before he does or says something that bring the station down altogether...and pigs etc.....

Hayes doesnt give a flying fcuk about Branigan or nova...his main aim in life is to feed his own ego by always "being there"...doesnt matter on what station as long as its daytime...and his displacement of PJ was done out of pure spitefulness..he was no threat (except for Pats ever increasing audience) but he still didnt want him there...He's made a mockery of the BAI, Branigan and the whole station....he really needs to be taken down a peg or five before he does or says something that bring the station down altogether...and pigs etc.....

Not sure how it is now as I only listen to PJ and TA but in some of the ads (clips from shows earlier in the week), the stuff he said to Loopy was soooo close to sexual harrasment. I have no idea how it wasn't actioned. He really is a creep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

FanadMan wrote: »
    Not sure how it is now as I only listen to PJ and TA but in some of the ads (clips from shows earlier in the week), the stuff he said to Loopy was soooo close to sexual harrasment. I have no idea how it wasn't actioned. He really is a creep!

Not enough people listen to the show to hear it so there's nobody to complain....

Let him break it, it is the only way.

Kamili wrote: »
    Not enough people listen to the show to hear it so there's nobody to complain....

Let him break it, it is the only way.

Loosey deserves anything he throws at her at this stage tbh....she should have walked months ago, but then again money and egos are close friends...

Loosey deserves anything he throws at her at this stage tbh....she should have walked months ago, but then again money and egos are close friends...

Lucy must be on some serious money with Nova to stick around, all the same. I mean, she's not a newbie trying to make a name for herself and she's already well established in the cartel that is the Irish media. So she doesn't NEED the job with Nova by any stretch of the imagination and certainly could have walked by now. Perhaps there's some kind of caveat in her contract with Virgin that states she must remain in place on the breakfast show for when Virgin eventually take over the station :D

Wheety wrote: »

Just turned the dial back to Nova just after 6am this morning. It was ffffing brilliant. Exactly what was wished for, a one man non cheesey show with just a few snippets of random and optional comment. I didn't even find out who he was until later on and it was so enjoyable I've googled him since.
    No famous persons birthdays, and guess the age of celebrities(wtf?).
    Lucy is of course away recording I want to say Ireland's got talent since last Monday week. Probably much more her level and she is not to be missed. But even on her first day away, Colm ran thru the checklist of dull things to say and do on a radio show in the morning. To make matters worse they must of prerecorded a segment between Lucy and Colm which they then played. They were discussing a skit by comedian Russell Howard about picking up dog poo. (Discussing a skit is not comedy lads) How it feels warm and soft etc. I didnt want to hear it because frankly the topic of poo is childish. Its either that or chatting about nappies or things kids say ffs. I turned to Q102 and moments later Desperado by the Eagles began. I listened to it, before it went to ad break so i flicked back to Nova. ...They were still talking about the feel of dog****.

I nearly punched my radio to rte one.

Contrast that to today. Arrived at work in a good mood. Tuned in the work radio (audible to a lab full of people-I couldn't subject them to dog **** conversation) to Nova and there it blared until 3pm and home time.

Give Quigley the show. That is all that has to be done. I will gladly subject my colleagues to that quality of a show with confidence! They are probably still listening on the second shift unless Courtney drove them mad with his bells and whistles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭Supertoucher

Agreed, I usually like a male/female duo (which is why I quite liked Marty and Dee) but Liam Quigley was quite a breath of fresh air compared to Colm and Lucy.

Agreed, I usually like a male/female duo (which is why I quite liked Marty and Dee) but Liam Quigley was quite a breath of fresh air compared to Colm and Lucy.

Yeah it's crazy.....decent music, no bullsh1t, and a pleasant presenter, happy listeners.......why has nobody done this before...it can't last

Don't forget we were tortured with baby making/pregnancy/birth/childraising stuff from D&M. But if they talked about their own bodily functions and the consistency of their stools, it would be way better than the the loose stool water (currently watching an old episode of QI and that was a memorable quote from Stephen Fry) that the current morning muppets spew out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement