Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

radio nova

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Kyle More

Mr Snow wrote: »
    Greg Gaughran is the head of music on radio nova.

Interesting, it certainly says 'Head of Music' on his LinkedIn profile. One would assume that 'Head of Music' means that he dictates the music policy and ultimately decides what gets green lit for broadcast (at least on the prime time slots). But doesn't the role I've just described fall under the remit of Nova's dear leader, director of programming, Mr. Colm Hayes? I stand to be corrected, but I don't think Gaughran has that level of authority, because I believe we'd have a decent station if he was calling the shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Kyle More wrote: »
    Interesting, it certainly says 'Head of Music' on his LinkedIn profile. One would assume that 'Head of Music' means that he dictates the music policy and ultimately decides what gets green lit for broadcast (at least on the prime time slots). But doesn't the role I've just described fall under the remit of Nova's dear leader, director of programming, Mr. Colm Hayes? I stand to be corrected, but I don't think Gaughran has that level of authority, because I believe we'd have a decent station if he was calling the shots.

Hayes threw him a few crumbs to keep him there.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Was he not Head of Music before C. Hayes arrived ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Kyle More

*KNOCK-KNOCK

Hayes: 'Come in' (Ha ha! Come!) *he thinks to himself

Gaughran: 'Hi Colm, I've got some ideas about what we should consider putting on rotation going forward. Given we're a rock station, perhaps that's what we should be playing as that's what our listeners reasonably expect from us. Here's an eclectic mix that I've put together that broadly covers the rock spectrum that I think you and our listeners will enjoy. Have a listen and let me know what you think'.

Hayes: 'Great work, Head of Music. Talk to you later'.

*Bins Gaughran's ideas after he leaves the office and goes back to clicking his fingers to George Ezra while Googling boring celebrity news articles and dirty jokes to tell on tomorrow's 'Colm & Lucy Breakfast Show'

Was he not Head of Music before C. Hayes arrived ?

I meant he offered him that late show..or no show..;)

Kyle More wrote: »
    *KNOCK-KNOCK

Hayes: 'Come in' (Ha ha! Come!) *he thinks to himself

Gaughran: 'Hi Colm, I've got some ideas about what we should consider putting on rotation going forward. Given we're a rock station, perhaps that's what we should be playing as that's what our listeners reasonably expect from us. Here's an eclectic mix that I've put together that broadly covers the rock spectrum that I think you and our listeners will enjoy. Have a listen and let me know what you think'.

Hayes: 'Great work, Head of Music. Talk to you later'.

*Bins Gaughran's ideas after he leaves the office and goes back to clicking his fingers to George Ezra while Googling boring celebrity news articles and dirty jokes to tell on tomorrow's 'Colm & Lucy Breakfast Show'

This is funnier if you imagine Hayes as Blackadder and Baldrick as Greg.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I know it's Christmas, and I have nothing against Peter Kay, but John Clarke played Geraldine McQueen, Once Upon A Christmas Song, earlier.

I wept!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Trebor176 wrote: »
    I know it's Christmas, and I have nothing against Peter Kay, but John Clarke played Geraldine McQueen, Once Upon A Christmas Song, earlier.

I wept!

Clarke's playlist is meant to be different than the usual Nova playlist. It is really very similar to the playlist he had on his 2FM jukebox show.

I wept!

Now i'm weeping...its the worst christmas song, and they have to play it over and over and over again on Cfm...tbh i switch over when it comes on and on and on....:p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

He also played "Baby It's Cold Outside" as his first Christmas song of the year. Fair dues for that!

An uncensored Fairytale on this morning too

• Advertisement

cdeb wrote: »
    He also played "Baby It's Cold Outside" as his first Christmas song of the year. Fair dues for that!

An uncensored Fairytale on this morning too

and why shouldn't he??

Snowflakes want both songs banned/censored. Christmas FM have banned Cold Outside. Was in the news recently. See After Hours for more.

cdeb wrote: »
    Snowflakes want both songs banned/censored. Christmas FM have banned Cold Outside. Was in the news recently. See After Hours for more.

Aware of that.

Why would Clarke or Nova follow suit anyway?

Why did Shane MacGowan have to make a statement anyway??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Aware of that.

Cos of the sparkly sparkly snowflakes

snowflake_63PjVM5d.gif

MacGowan should not have had to answer to anyone

MacGowan should not have had to answer to anyone

neither should George Hook but look what happened there :rolleyes:

Kamili wrote: »
    neither should George Hook but look what happened there :rolleyes:

MacGowan was basically answering to mcdermott and byrne.
    nobody else made a fuss...
    rte didn't even ban / censor the song !!

Was listening to Lisa Gernon on Saturday morning - and the difference between her and Ruth Scott is like day and night.

Refreshing to listen to a Nova presenter who is actually a rock music fan - they're few and far between on Nova.

Aware of that.

Playing a relatively obscure Christmas song like "Baby It's Cold Outside" I took as a deliberate two fingers to the whines about it. Clarke has a bit of history of nice little jibes like that.

• Advertisement

Wyatt played ...Mistress for christmas on PR today..classic chrimbo song:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭prunudo

Wyatt played ...Mistress for christmas on PR today..classic chrimbo song:)

Great station.

jvan wrote: »
    Great station.

The selection is first class...

I’ve been listening to Virgin Radio this week, great playlist featuring mostly British acts with enthusiastic presenters!

I should feel guilty for not supporting an Irish station...but I don't...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭KildareP

Who is the female voiceover on Nova?
    Someone mentioned it was Carol Dooley but the same voiceover is used on Lite Fm in New York and Philly 104.5 in Philadelphia. Has Carol gone international (although I think she did work in the USA prior to Nova?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭AlgerShane

Was listening to Lisa Gernon on Saturday morning - and the difference between her and Ruth Scott is like day and night.

Refreshing to listen to a Nova presenter who is actually a rock music fan - they're few and far between on Nova.

Listenable - Marty Miller, Dee Woods, Pat Courtenay, Greg G, Tony A, John Clarke, Liam Q, Peter Devlin, Kieran McGuinness, and the best of them all, Pat James, over on digital. (Not counting Gavin Glass as he's an exclusively Irish supporter).

But aside from the concert competitions, I just can't listen to the rest. Lisa, Ruth, Lucy Kennedy, all lovely people, but know nothing about real music. Can never get my head around the breakfast show either. Just has nothing appealing. Colm has good taste in music but needs to bulk up his general knowledge. I will fight anyone who argues with me on that one. :)

Mr Snow wrote: »
    Greg Gaughran is the head of music on radio nova.

WAS.

FanadMan wrote: »
    I agree - if he was given free reign on his playlist, it would be a great show. He is a real rock head.

Then John Creedon would have major competition over on nationwide radio! How exciting! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Seeing as the subject has come up (sort of!), who on Nova has some rock music credentials?

Kevin Brannigan, CEO, was also behind temporary licensed stations 949 The Rock and (simply) The Rock.

Colm Hayes was involved with * Rock104 from its start to its finish – See below.

Greg Gaughren, apparently, presented a rock show on 80s pirate Kiss FM, sister station to pirate Radio Nova. He also was involved with * Rock104 for some of its run.

Marty Miller used to present Dad Rock, a classic rock show, on Today FM. He also was a presenter on temporary licensed Zenith Classic Rock.

Pat Courtenay supplied entertainment news for 949 The Rock.

Tony Anscough was a presenter on 949 The Rock.

Radio Nova has three musician turned presenters from the rock world: Peter Devlin, Gavin Glass and Kieran McGuinness. The latter two were also presenters on TXFM, the former holder of the alternative rock license.

And finally ……..on Nova’s digital station Classic Rock we have Pat James. Pat presented rock shows on a number of pirate stations over a ten-year period between the 1970s and 1980s. He also was a presenter on 949 The Rock and Zenith Classic Rock.

*Rock104 was a re-branding of Capital Radio and was rock-oriented, but the license was for a commercial music station so it had plenty of latitude. It was to be re-branded after a year to FM104. Interestingly, Radio Nova has similarities with Rock104 in its style of music mix. Of course, the difference is that Rock104 was just a phase for a station with a general commercial license, but Radio Nova has a more specific classic rock license!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I went to see the breeders in Amsterdam last year and I positioned myself in view of the queue and had a few drinks... Anyway the queue wasn't moving so I went over to see what's going on and it wasn't the breeders queue at all... All those people were there to see Gavin glass.... Furthermore Kim deal at the other gig announces that gavin is playing next door and went on to say she spilt a pint on his console in his studio in New York and wrecked his desk

• Advertisement

But when did it all go wrong Declan.....are we allowed to continually flog that particular dead horse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

But when did it all go wrong Declan.....are we allowed to continually flog that particular dead horse

Things were fine until they changed breakfast, it all unravelled for me then

Thanks for your infomative posts Declan, I always enjoy reading them. You're a wealth of Radio Knowledge.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

PC playing the unbleeped version of Show Biz Kids - nice.

you know they don't give a fcuk about anybody else

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    PC playing the unbleeped version of Show Biz Kids - nice.

Did I also hear him playing Peter Kay....?..or was it a dream

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Did I also hear him playing Peter Kay....?..or was it a dream

If John Clark played him, then there's a chance that it wasn't a dream. A nightmare, though, perhaps!

If John Clark played him, then there's a chance that it wasn't a dream. A nightmare, though, perhaps!

Is there even a guitar in it....

when are Nova going to realise and change the version of The Pixies 'Here comes your man' they always play, from the unplugged version to the single version ??
    I've yet to hear a Nova presenter refer to the fact that the unplugged one is a totally different version ..

when are Nova going to realise and change the version of The Pixies 'Here comes your man' they always play, from the unplugged version to the single version ??
    I've yet to hear a Nova presenter refer to the fact that the unplugged one is a totally different version ..

Oh jesus...ya know Morty will go on and on about that now...

Here ya go Marty....read this out...

Here Comes Your Man" is a song by the American alternative rock band Pixies, written and sung by the band's frontman Frances Black. Produced by Grahame Norton, it was released as the second single from the group's second album Doolittle in June 1989.

Written by Frances Black as a teenager, "Here Comes Your Man" was recorded for the band's 1987 demo tape, but not included on either Come On Pilgrim or Surfer Rosa, as the songwriter was reluctant about releasing the song. Critics saw "Here Comes Your Man" as the Pixies' breakthrough song; Jo Dolan of Spin magazine commented that it was "the most accessible song ever by an underground-type band."[2] The song reached number three on the U.S. Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

First time hearing A Merry Jingle by The Greedies. Not on Nova, an Irish "rock" station, but on Planet Rock :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Don't forget Nova's entire playlist is a '100 greatest rock driving songs vol 1' cd :rolleyes:

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

furiousox wrote: »
    Don't forget Nova's entire playlist is a '100 greatest rock driving songs vol 1' cd :rolleyes:

That’s all Kevin can afford! They’re in the sh1tter financially

Actually this...Kevser got it at a car boot sale............John Creedon was selling it...for 1 euro, he got it for 50c

NOW_Classic_Rock-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

you actually wouldn't mind if it played songs off that

Anyone want to hear the future? They are recording/rehearsing the C&L Xmas day show and it's being broadcast on the Classic Rock stream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

Anyone want to hear the future? They are recording/rehearsing the C&L Xmas day show and it's being broadcast on the Classic Rock stream.

Jebus I'd rather listen to the inlaws or the queens speech..

When.....the usual 7-10 slot....and not on FM...?

When.....the usual 7-10 slot....and not on FM...?

Happens a lot on the Classic stream in the morning/afternoon. Get to hear shows being recorded......some sort of technical arse-up. Didn't hear any swearing this time though. Maybe the xmas spirit was getting to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Not a good station anymore.

Advertisement