Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

radio nova

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Jl9Q5cp.mp4

+1........................:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homer

Nova have obviously updated their playlist this week. How many more times will we hear Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush or Roxy Music’s Oh Yeah to name but two.......

Easy to know that Greg is not looking after music selection anymore... Colms taste in music about as bad as most of his attempts at humour.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,265 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Homer wrote: »
    Easy to know that Greg is not looking after music selection anymore... Colms taste in music about as bad as most of his attempts at humour.. :rolleyes:

i dont know much about autism but i believe it can be horrendous for a child to be in a noisy environment ....no insult intended to those who experience such a thing but it's EXACTLY how i feel listening to the breakfast show...sttttttooooopppppppp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,908 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is 2XM also available on DAB in cars?

Location dependant but should be within all of Nova's service area

Haye you ever heard quality like this on nova...in just a half hour...with practically no talk..

• 5:03
      2224.jpg?ver=1465084272

Blue Light David Gilmour
    • 14:54
      892.jpg?ver=1465083678

Go With The Flow Queens Of The Stone Age
    • 14:52
      7410.jpg?ver=1465117958

Fanfare For The Common Man Emerson Lake and Palmer
    • 14:47
      640.jpg?ver=1465083538

From Out Of Nowhere Faith No More
    • 14:38
      647.jpg?ver=1465083545

Even Flow Pearl Jam
    • 14:35
      127047.jpg?ver=1544930739

Young City Hearts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭prunudo

Its such a shame its not easier to pick up here. Its great listening to at home via sky but i find the app hit and miss

jvan wrote: »
    Its such a shame its not easier to pick up here. Its great listening to at home via sky but i find the app hit and miss

Still worth it tho...;)

Happened to be on a job this morning they had nova on, theyre definately going the alternative/indie route..like TXFM...and look what happened to them...

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭AlgerShane

Is anyone else a bit concerned that the addition of Gerry Healy there recently is a potential replacement for The Friday Night Rock Show?

I mean, come on. Hayes has done voice-over ads for all the other shows and hasn't remotely mentioned Tony at all. Surely I'm not the only one to have noticed??

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

AlgerShane wrote:
    Is anyone else a bit concerned that the addition of Gerry Healy there recently is a potential replacement for The Friday Night Rock Show?

I mean, come on. Hayes has done voice-over ads for all the other shows and hasn't remotely mentioned Tony at all. Surely I'm not the only one to have noticed??

I cannot warm to Tony, tried and tried but he has ruined the show for me, maybe me coming from a more Heavy Metal based background am just getting tired of the tokenistic Gary Moore, Rory & Thin Lizzy tracks ohh and ACDC 'the jack'.

It's great to hear them Irish guys but a little more variety in the material would go along way imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Aska wrote: »
    I cannot warm to Tony, tried and tried but he has ruined the show for me, maybe me coming from a more Heavy Metal based background am just getting tired of the tokenistic Gary Moore, Rory & Thin Lizzy tracks ohh and ACDC 'the jack'.

It's great to hear them Irish guys but a little more variety in the material would go along way imo.

You really need to listen more. Both Phillo and Garys anniversaries are close together so they are going to be played more.

Did you listen to last Fridays show? Go onto the site and listen to the first hour. Good new Irish music being played.....live in studio.

Post-midnight there was plenty of classic Ozzy and Priest played in honour of the upcoming (and subsequently re-scheduled) gig.

Pat James has been booted to online only and John Clarke plays the same as he ever has. Tony is really the only one left on Nova mainstream that can play what he wants, ie doesn't have a playlist dictated by Hayes/Branners/whatever child producer is in that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

FanadMan wrote:
    Did you listen to last Fridays show? Go onto the site and listen to the first hour. Good new Irish music being played.....live in studio.

Pat James has been booted to online only and John Clarke plays the same as he ever has. Tony is really the only one left on Nova mainstream that can play what he wants, ie doesn't have a playlist dictated by Hayes/Branners/whatever child producer is in that day.

FanadMan wrote:
    Post-midnight there was plenty of classic Ozzy and Priest played in honour of the upcoming (and subsequently re-scheduled) gig.

You really need to listen more. Both Phillo and Garys anniversaries are close together so they are going to be played more.

You are probably right, I am more than likely nit-picking it's good to hear them guys at anytime, the only other plave you are likely to hear them is on Ronan Collins show, even the adds for the Metallica gig on other radio shows just play clips of 'nothing else' & 'the unforgiven'

I am got to move with the times and accept that this is not the John Kenny Metal show. Yes the Valhalla guys wasnt it? Caught about half it.

Aska wrote: »
    You are probably right, I am more than likely nit-picking it's good to hear them guys at anytime, the only other plave you are likely to hear them is on Ronan Collins show, even the adds for the Metallica gig on other radio shows just play clips of 'nothing else' & 'the unforgiven'

I am got to move with the times and accept that this is not the John Kenny Metal show. Yes the Valhalla guys wasnt it? Caught about half it.

Try to get hold of Planet Rock somehow if you can..you wont be dissapointed....;)

Example, just now..nova had Hall and Oates....PR had Procol Harum......no contest..

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭AlgerShane

Yes, Tony does indeed have a big love for the heavy music too, but Nova have a strict line when it comes to HOW heavy , which in a sense, is a good thing. In my ears, there comes a point where metal is nothing but muzak. Noise. BUT, Tony well and truly loves, and knows, his rock and roll. As someone said, he's the only DJ who doesn't have to fully abide by the mainstream, which is a blessing. But one can't help but worry as Hayes wants to try and make the station as mainstream as he possibly can. If Tony's out, with the exception of Peter, Kieran, and Clarkie, I'm out. 'Nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Lovenova

That's more than a tad hyperbolic - just looking at 2fm for example today, The Chainsmokers, Taylor Swift, Picture This, Jax Jones, RAYE, Ariana Grande...

I'm not seeing anything on the list which has ever been played on Nova... maybe Hozier and George Ezra?

Look, I agree that Hozier and George Ezra don't belong on Nova before people latch on to that :D

Wow, clearly I got under someone’s skin - so much so that they listened to 2fm on a single day . The fact remains that Nova is indistinguishable from anyone else on the dial - it’s certainly not the station that received a rock music licence.

And as for the assumption here that Nova never made money - does anyone seriously think that any private business could afford to run at a loss for as long as they have ?

In my opinion, not one on air decision they made in last year and a half has been positive . I no longer listen.

Lovenova wrote: »
    Wow, clearly I got under someone’s skin - so much so that they listened to 2fm on a single day . The fact remains that Nova is indistinguishable from anyone else on the dial - it’s certainly not the station that received a rock music licence.

And as for the assumption here that Nova never made money - does anyone seriously think that any private business could afford to run at a loss for as long as they have ?

In my opinion, not one on air decision they made in last year and a half has been positive . I no longer listen.

Read this............oh, and the stab at Pat James and his ilk...;)

https://radiotoday.ie/2018/04/revealing-qa-with-nova-ceo-kevin-branigan/

"presenters with a singular obsession about music warbling on about artists and gigs they’d been to, trying to show off their musical knowledge to a small bunch of very loyal listeners".

"presenters with a singular obsession about music warbling on about artists and gigs they’d been to, trying to show off their musical knowledge to a small bunch of very loyal listeners".[/quote]

It’s no secret that more than one current & previous on air staff found the remarks offensive

"presenters with a singular obsession about music warbling on about artists and gigs they’d been to, trying to show off their musical knowledge to a small bunch of very loyal listeners".

It’s no secret that more than one current & previous on air staff found the remarks offensive[/QUOTE]

God love him he hasnt a clue, thats why he put that moron Hayes in charge of everything...it seems to be a negative thing on nova to love music....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Is Pat James no longer on Nova? Used to listen every Sunday and he was brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

terrydel wrote: »
    Is Pat James no longer on Nova? Used to listen every Sunday and he was brilliant.

He was booted to the digital side. Can get him on the website player or the mobile app under the Classic Rock stream. Is on from 9pm to 1am as usual. The upside to being on the digital stream is that there is no ads or news, just 4 hours of Pat and his music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Wow, clearly I got under someone’s skin

Again, super hyperbolic. There's absolutely no evidence that you've gotten under anyone's skin tbh.
    - so much so that they listened to 2fm on a single day .

You can do that, or you can just do what I did and look on their website for 30 seconds at the playlist from the day.
    The fact remains that Nova is indistinguishable from anyone else on the dial - it’s certainly not the station that received a rock music licence.
    I'm not a die-hard fan of Nova; all I pointed out was that the earlier statement (and in fact this one) is just untrue if you look at the music played on the likes of 2FM for example.

In fact, in traffic today I stuck on 2XM and there was a lot more current pop than Nova plays.

I don't particularly care enough to purchase an updated report for Classic Rock Broadcasting Ltd. to check their profit/loss, but if this report is anything to go by I doubt they're suddenly in the black

https://fora.ie/radio-nova-losses-licence-3162180-Dec2016/

Nova reminds me of a Learner driver..they apply for their licence and off they go....after a while their confidence builds to the point where their attitude changes and drive around on their own, then on motorways...why..?..because they know the chances of being caught out are tiny....:)

This came to mind yesterday after being behind an L driver on the M11 , she had a baby in the back too...On the back window there was her L sticker...and right underneath ,a nova sticker....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Nova reminds me of a Learner driver..they apply for their licence and off they go....after a while their confidence builds to the point where their attitude changes and drive around on their own, then on motorways...why..?..because they know the chances of being caught out are tiny....:)

This came to mind yesterday after being behind an L driver on the M11 , she had a baby in the back too...On the back window there was her L sticker...and right underneath ,a nova sticker....

Oh but Somebody is watching

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/radio-nova-billed-for-almost-47000-for-alleged-nonpayment-of-music-royalties-court-told-30468244.html

way back in 2014 but still ;)

Kamili wrote: »

Funny that the music started to go downhill after that....:p

Again, super hyperbolic. There's absolutely no evidence that you've gotten under anyone's skin tbh.

You can do that, or you can just do what I did and look on their website for 30 seconds at the playlist from the day.

I'm not a die-hard fan of Nova; all I pointed out was that the earlier statement (and in fact this one) is just untrue if you look at the music played on the likes of 2FM for example.

In fact, in traffic today I stuck on 2XM and there was a lot more current pop than Nova plays.

I don't particularly care enough to purchase an updated report for Classic Rock Broadcasting Ltd. to check their profit/loss, but if this report is anything to go by I doubt they're suddenly in the black

There’s more than one way to assess a company’s accounts. There’s a difference between being a loss making company and not turning a profit

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

There’s more than one way to assess a company’s accounts. There’s a difference between being a loss making company and not turning a profit
    Do elaborate?

• Advertisement

Lovenova wrote:

Yep, you can look at the fact that all the board jumped ship like rats abandoning the proverbial doomed vessel! And that poor kevin has nobody left to pump good money after bad intro the company any more? That would be a yardstick I would use.

Yep, you can look at the fact that all the board jumped ship like rats abandoning the proverbial doomed vessel! And that poor kevin has nobody left to pump good money after bad intro the company any more? That would be a yardstick I would use.

I think that particular yard stick is being used to beat someone with.....I'm torn for choice...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,265 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

anyone get the jnlrs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭furiousox

...I'm not a die-hard fan of Nova...

Your username suggests otherwise! :D

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    Your username suggests otherwise! :D

Says the angry socks man....:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Howard100

They had an ok book, their breakfast seems to be up a bit.
    I still think they are lost in what they should be/are in terms of the music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭furiousox

Says the angry socks man....:P

It's furious-ox, not furious-sox! :p

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Kyle More

anyone get the jnlrs?

If I'm reading it correctly, listenership has decreased across the prime time slots. Another telling sign that there was probably nothing to celebrate at Castleforbes House today is the fact that they have not mentioned the JNLR figures on their Facebook page at all.

Kyle More wrote: »
    If I'm reading it correctly, listenership has decreased across the prime time slots. Another telling sign that there was probably nothing to celebrate at Castleforbes House today is the fact that they have not mentioned the JNLR figures on their Facebook page at all.

So what youre saying is that bringing in Hayes and Kennedy with their huge egos saleries has done nothing for the station...;)

So what youre saying is that bringing in Hayes and Kennedy with their huge egos saleries has done nothing for the station...;)

They may have damaged it if anything, Max. We can't even listen to other shows in peace anymore, without being reminded that we're listening to the home of the Colm & Lucy Breakfast Show, followed by some 'hilarious' snippets of what we missed. I'd say it's only driving more and more long time listeners away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭prunudo

They may have damaged it if anything, Max. We can't even listen to other shows in peace anymore, without being reminded that we're listening to the home of the Colm & Lucy Breakfast Show, followed by some 'hilarious' snippets of what we missed. I'd say it's only driving more and more long time listeners away.

He's a cancer on what used to be a half decent station but more importantly it was alternative to everything else. Not sure you can blame Lucy, she was brought in by Hayes who probably told her it was a good idea, shes a bad fit for the station but fault lies firmly with Hayes. Yes it had flaws but its painful to listen now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭guile4582

totally gone from Nova now, turned it on Saturday morning (by accident for 5 mins) and heard Hayes trying to bully some guy at work to do something, and your man wasn't sharing the bantz, he was like "emmm i can't i have to ask my dad (boss)"
    it was total cringe. Internet radio is all we have now. there is no good morning radio in Ireland anymore. I keep forgetting about John Clarke even, how does that man stick it there i wonder

So its the "Home of the Colon and Loosey show"...i did not know that, do they advertise it ?...much...:rolleyes:...if anything stank of desperation its that....

TBH if they were gone and replaced by an adult, playing adult songs for adults then i'd listen..so heres one extra listener they would have....btw when i say an adult presenter i dont mean Morty or Courtenay...;)

So its the "Home of the Colon and Loosey show"...i did not know that, do they advertise it ?...much...:rolleyes:...if anything stank of desperation its that....

TBH if they were gone and replaced by an adult, playing adult songs for adults then i'd listen..so heres one extra listener they would have....btw when i say an adult presenter i dont mean Morty or Courtenay...;)

All the time. They never stop going on about it. I could handle a short ad, if it was just a normal ad telling you when the show was on. But this carry on of playing snippets from the show during ad breaks of other shows really brings my p1ss to a boil. 'What did you miss on the Colm & Lucy Breakfast Show?' I missed ALL of it, because it's crap! Now can I please just listen to Greg Gaughran in peace, please?

An adult presenter for adult listeners, imagine that? If Liam Quigley was given the breakfast slot on a permanent basis, that would be ideal.

jvan wrote: »
    He's a cancer on what used to be a half decent station but more importantly it was alternative to everything else. Not sure you can blame Lucy, she was brought in by Hayes who probably told her it was a good idea, shes a bad fit for the station but fault lies firmly with Hayes. Yes it had flaws but its painful to listen now.

I have to agree. The buck stops with Hayes. It certainly had its problems before, but it has systematically gotten worse under the stewardship of Hayes.

• Advertisement

I don't think 104 or 98fm have anything to worry about..not going by the current set up anyway...despite the hilarious ad...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭guile4582

is there any statistics to prove what everyone is saying here about people leaving Nova in droves? just to confirm what most of us are fairly sure is true

I don't think they're leaving in droves ,more like tuning in and out....i just dont listen anymore, unless i hear PD on during the day...a lot people on this thread still seem to be listeners tho....especially to the odd couple:confused:

guile4582 wrote: »
    is there any statistics to prove what everyone is saying here about people leaving Nova in droves? just to confirm what most of us are fairly sure is true

The latest JNLR figures can be downloaded here:

https://www.bai.ie/en/latest-jnlr-figures-released-11/

To put it bluntly, the Colm & Lucy project has failed. They have made no significant gains in almost a year on air. In fact, it's highly likely that they've actually lost listeners in the mornings and the regulars tune back in as the day progresses after the breakfast show has ended. They thought they were going to be butting heads with the likes of 98FM and FM104, but they can't even beat Q102. Their silence on the matter of the latest JNLR figures on social media is also notable.

The latest JNLR figures can be downloaded here:

https://www.bai.ie/en/latest-jnlr-figures-released-11/

To put it bluntly, the Colm & Lucy project has failed.

Yep, Brannigan was blinded by Colm Hayes bullsh1t story about bringing sophistication to the station (his exact words) and instead he has turned it into a sh!tshow with endless toilet humour and attempts at benny hill style gags :rolleyes:
    I guess it was a last ditch attempt to resuscitate his career going to Nova. Can’t go any lower from there is the only positive.

Yep, Brannigan was blinded by Colm Hayes bullsh1t story about bringing sophistication to the station (his exact words) and instead he has turned it into a sh!tshow with endless toilet humour and attempts at benny hill style gags :rolleyes:
    I guess it was a last ditch attempt to resuscitate his career going to Nova. Can’t go any lower from there is the only positive.

I do wonder what will happen when reality dawns and they can no longer ignore the fact that the gamble they took on Hayes and the Colm & Lucy Breakfast Show hasn't paid dividends, or at least what was expected/promised. Also, it's been well documented that the show is immensely unpopular with listeners. How much longer can they flog this horse?

I do wonder what will happen when reality dawns and they can no longer ignore the fact that the gamble they took on Hayes and the Colm & Lucy Breakfast Show hasn't paid dividends, or at least what was expected/promised. Also, it's been well documented that the show is immensely unpopular with listeners. How much longer can they flog this horse?

The only thing i can think of is that he bought the job...theres no other logical reason why Branigan would keep him there.....;)

The only thing i can think of is that he bought the job...theres no other logical reason why Branigan would keep him there.....;)

Yeah, I have pondered the thought that Hayes may be an actual shareholder in the company. It would make sense from the perspective of why he's seemingly untouchable at the station. Either that or the station is too far gone from what they've invested in him that they simply have to keep going, throwing sh1t at the wall and hoping it eventually sticks, if you will. Like a desperate gambler who is so deep in the red that he needs to keep playing in the hope that his luck will change and he can turn it around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

guile4582 wrote: »

The JNLRs show that listenership is steady compared to this time last year.

People are not leaving in droves.

• Advertisement

The JNLRs show that listenership is steady compared to this time last year.

People are not leaving in droves.

Overall listenership was stronger this time last year according to the stats. That was just before the Dreadful Duo took over breakfast I might add.

Even if one was to make the argument that listenership is 'steady' under Hayes' tenure, do you really think that Nova took him on as a means to keep listenership figures steady? Did they f**k! I'm sure he didn't come cheap and Marty, Conor & Co could have kept listenership steady (or even gained more listeners) for a fraction of the price. Nova took him on to compete with the big boys of the airwaves in Dublin. After a year, they haven't come close to tapping into the market share of the larger stations and the figures show that the station is actually in a worse position than this time last year. It's simple why their transformation project hasn't worked, there's already plenty of choice for more of the same. Nova's selling point was that it was different.

Advertisement