Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

radio nova

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Hayes clearly was given the gig in the hope that they would be going national and he was a "big voice" on Irish radio.....what's that, oh I thought it was a car that was backfiring...:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Kyle More

.....what's that, oh I thought it was a car that was backfiring...:P

Or another one of Colm's fart jokes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Kyle More wrote: »
    Overall listenership was stronger this time last year according to the stats. That was just before the Dreadful Duo took over breakfast I might add.

Even if one was to make the argument that listenership is 'steady' under Hayes' tenure, do you really think that Nova took him on as a means to keep listenership figures steady? Did they f**k! I'm sure he didn't come cheap and Marty, Conor & Co could have kept listenership steady (or even gained more listeners) for a fraction of the price. Nova took him on to compete with the big boys of the airwaves in Dublin. After a year, they haven't come close to tapping into the market share of the larger stations and the figures show that the station is actually in a worse position than this time last year. It's simple why their transformation project hasn't worked, there's already plenty of choice for more of the same. Nova's selling point was that it was different.

Overall listenership was down 0.1%. That's small enough to be meaningless. Not an increase of course but absolutely no indication of listeners leaving in droves. That was the question and it's the assertion that you and the others have been making for a long time now. It is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭prunudo

Do the jnlr's break the figures down into new listeners or is it just total listenership.
    Ie. there could be droves of orignal Nova listeners leaving but being replaced by the same amount of new listeners who like toilet humour or Lucy Kennedy.
    Figures and stats can be used to whatever agenda needs to pushed. Personally and from talking to friends who used to listen, we've all switched off since they took over. Same appears to be the case on here and Facebook posts so we can't all be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homer

What Facebook posts? Nova keep deleting anything negative posted on their page :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Overall listenership was down 0.1%. That's small enough to be meaningless. Not an increase of course but absolutely no indication of listeners leaving in droves. That was the question and it's the assertion that you and the others have been making for a long time now. It is wrong.

And you have the figures solely for the breakfast show, do you? The stats measure (or those on the table you were looking at): All adults aged 15+ share of listening 7am - 7pm. Yes, I do believe listeners are tuning out during the breakfast show hours and tuning back in as the day progresses. I do it myself and EVERYONE I know who listens to Nova are doing the same. The show is so unpopular that they had to stop posting links for the 'best bits' podcast on their Facebook page because it was attracting nothing but negative comments. Whatever way you want to spin this, the gamble on Hayes has been a failure.

Anal Johnson is right........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

And you have the figures solely for the breakfast show, do you? The stats measure (or those on the table you were looking at): All adults aged 15+ share of listening 7am - 7pm. Yes, I do believe listeners are tuning out during the breakfast show hours and tuning back in as the day progresses. I do it myself and EVERYONE I know who listens to Nova are doing the same. The show is so unpopular that they had to stop posting links for the 'best bits' podcast on their Facebook page because it was attracting nothing but negative comments. Whatever way you want to spin this, the gamble on Hayes has been a failure.

Hang on there now.

I'm not spinning anything. I don't even like Colm & Lucy. But you claimed that the figures show a lot of things that they simply don't.

You post here all the time. You get responses from the same four or five posters all the time. Is it possible you're mistaking the echo chamber of boards.ie for public opinion?

Five guys posting 200 times each that they don't listen anymore cos Nova is crap does not equal 1000 listeners tuning out, it is still only five. Maybe that's your fundamental mistake.

Again; I don't like Colm & Lucy - so I just don't listen, and I'm absolutely baffled why you can't do likewise. But I do like Nova. And you and the other four or five axe-grinders make any discussion of it impossible because you're so negative all the time.

So no, I don't have the figures for any show - but I haven't made any claims about what the figures mean for any show, you did that. You just made up whatever suited your preconceived idea.

Hang on there now.

I'm not spinning anything. I don't even like Colm & Lucy. But you claimed that the figures show a lot of things that they simply don't.

You post here all the time. You get responses from the same four or five posters all the time. Is it possible you're mistaking the echo chamber of boards.ie for public opinion?

Five guys posting 200 times each that they don't listen anymore cos Nova is crap does not equal 1000 listeners tuning out, it is still only five. Maybe that's your fundamental mistake.

Again; I don't like Colm & Lucy - so I just don't listen, and I'm absolutely baffled why you can't do likewise. But I do like Nova. And you and the other four or five axe-grinders make any discussion of it impossible because you're so negative all the time.

So no, I don't have the figures for any show - but I haven't made any claims about what the figures mean for any show, you did that. You just made up whatever suited your preconceived idea.

You don't like Colm & Lucy? Well then, we have something in common. Let's build on that :D

Look, the figures are what they are. You may think the difference is meaningless, others may have a different take on it. What we do know is that some people have stopped listening. But my main argument is that the figures can't be what Nova were hoping for. They decided to go in a completely different and (I'm guessing) costly direction, contrary to common sense and it appears to have backfired. A drop is still a drop and it must be a bitter pill to swallow when they were expecting big things from Colm & Lucy.

As regards public opinion, I can only go on what's available to me. Word of mouth and the Internet/social media. People do not like the show, at least not anyone who I have seen or interacted with. It's not only Boards members who are talking about it.

This may surprise you, but I don't think Nova is completely crap. It was a decent station at one time and it still produces some good programming from time to time. However, that being said, they have made some very poor decisions in recent times. Appointing Hayes as director of programming and the creation of that awful breakfast show being a big one. Yes, it does generate significant backlash from posters such as myself on Boards and elsewhere. But it's such a huge part of the fabric of the station that it's hard to simply ignore it.

Hang on there now.

I dont think theres any one of us "axe grinders" that have said we dont like nova, we dont like certain aspects of the station.Feel free to discuss the station, although theres not many good things to say..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭guile4582

Either that or the station is too far gone from what they've invested in him that they simply have to keep going, throwing sh1t at the wall and hoping it eventually sticks, if you will. Like a desperate gambler who is so deep in the red that he needs to keep playing in the hope that his luck will change and he can turn it around.

RTE and Ray Darcy springs to mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Re: JRNL anyone got figures for any of their shows?

Elmo wrote: »
    Re: JRNL anyone got figures for any of their shows?

You'll probably find (according to nova) that the Col and Luce show gained 5000 listeners while every other show lost a combined total of...5000....;)

You'll probably find (according to nova) that the Col and Luce show gained 5000 listeners while every other show lost a combined total of...5000....;)

Plus the 0.1% of listeners that were lost, from all the other shows, of course :D

Plus the 0.1% of listeners that were lost, from all the other shows, of course :D

That's such an insignificant amount its hardly worth mentioning. .but here we are....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I see Lucy has managed to get her daughter in on the act with *Little Holly* - did Colm not do something similar on FM104 with surprise, surprise HIS daughter *Little Holly* ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Heard the drive time DJ, at 5.30 this evening after playing Morrisey's 'every day is like Sunday' say.....

"that was The Smiths....... Well it was Johnny Maher really"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Heard the drive time DJ, at 5.30 this evening after playing Morrisey's 'every day is like Sunday' say.....

"that was The Smiths....... Well it was Johnny Maher really"...

You sure it wasn't the typical "DJ accent" that confused you lol. Just try it....say Marr out loud and then say it again loike every ether deeeejay and you'll probably find he did say Marr :D:D

FanadMan wrote: »
    You sure it wasn't the typical "DJ accent" that confused you lol. Just try it....say Marr out loud and then say it again loike every ether deeeejay and you'll probably find he did say Marr :D:D

Struth mate..dats a beet rayssist .............:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Well he was born Maher but the point was that Marr didn't play on Morrisey's solo single. The Smiths had brokem up by then.

• Advertisement

You'll find that "musical knowledge" is not a requirement on nova.......anything they need to know will be found in Hello or the RTE guide....;)

You'll find that "musical knowledge" is not a requirement on nova.......anything they need to know will be found in Hello or the RTE guide....;)

In fairness, PC is a big music fan.

In fairness, PC is a big music fan.

..or he would have you believe...I'd say you know more than he does...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭adox

I’ve given up on the station completely now. I could stomach Courtenay on the way home as he played some decent tunes but those two in the morning have just turned me off the station altogether. Awful stuff from them on the morning.

Was a listener since they launched in 2010.

I’m back to Newstalk in the morning to depress myself on the way to work and ****ing Ivan Yates on the way home!!

Still a hundred times better than that utter dross that is being served up in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Anyone been pissed off lately by that disgusting Nova ad for the lunchtime slot with yer man delivering the entire ad with his mouth full, complete with chewing etc

Don't know how anyone working in radio thought that would be a good idea, not even a funny ad; it comes off so amateur - eating while on the mic is a cardinal sin for any serious radio host/podcaster

yeah heard that back when I listened to the station and it was yet another reason to tune out.

Are they still overplaying Imagine Dragons............:D:D

The worst band in the world on the worst radio station (in the world.)...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭AlgerShane

Just wondering, are Greg Gaughran's shows after 10 p.m. pre-recorded ?

AlgerShane wrote: »

As far as I know they are recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Yesterday's 5pm bulletin was this morning's 11AM bulletin!

• Advertisement

Trebor176 wrote: »
    Yesterday's 5pm bulletin was this morning's 11AM bulletin!

Have heard similar news issues on Sunday mornings before and on more than one occasion too.

jvan wrote: »
    Have heard similar news issues on Sunday mornings before and on more than one occasion too.

A lot of stuff on there is pre recorded...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Yes. As MH said, lots of stuff is pre-recorded, including most of the weekend, I think.

A few months after Sinead Ni Mhorda suddenly vanished off the station ("Sorry but tonight will be my last show due to reorganisation in Nova" without any sort of a warning), the following story appeared on www.thejournal.ie. Doesn't mention her by name, but it obviously refers to her.

https://www.thejournal.ie/radio-nova-unfair-dismissal-2-3839965-Feb2018/

From the article:
    The station’s managing director Kevin Branigan told the WRC hearing that the presenter’s live show in the evening was no longer viable and therefore, the plan, in line with many commercial radio stations of similar size, was for pre-planned music with pre-recorded introductory segments post 7pm.

Branigan said that it would take a contractor six hours to put together 24 hours of such radio. Mr Branigan stated that he himself had taken a pay cut in 2014/15.

Did they play any Prodigy yet....R.I.P Mr'Flint...:(

Did they play any Prodigy yet....R.I.P Mr'Flint...:(

Maybe One Love to scare the new listenership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I hear Dee's back from Mat Leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭its_steve116

I hear Dee's back from Mat Leave.

And I guess Ruth will be back on weekend afternoons in that case.

So snowflake Miller is playing snippets of his baby now....do these people not realise that nobody gives a fcuk about their offspring.....sad basterd...:rolleyes:

If Ruth is back on weekend's, it's bye bye Nova on weekend afternoon's. Lovely gal, but by jaysus, hasn't a notion about music.

Liam, on the other hand, it'll be a big disappointment if he leaves. Guy had a great style of presenting with brilliant taste, and when let, played some great tunes.

Speaking of which guys, just keen to know - which show would you prefer and why - Peter D's Saturday Soundtrack or Kieran McG's Nova Guestlist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

If Ruth is back on weekend's, it's bye bye Nova on weekend afternoon's. Lovely gal, but by jaysus, hasn't a notion about music.

Liam, on the other hand, it'll be a big disappointment if he leaves. Guy had a great style of presenting with brilliant taste, and when let, played some great tunes.

Speaking of which guys, just keen to know - which show would you prefer and why - Peter D's Saturday Soundtrack or Kieran McG's Nova Guestlist?

Ruth Scott? She was on two Saturdays ago. (or was it last Saturday?) :rolleyes::rolleyes:

tampopo wrote: »

Ruth Scott? She was on two Saturdays ago. (or was it last Saturday?) :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Don't know or care tbh!

Anyway guys, as I asked, which show do you like more - Saturday Soundtrack or the Nova Guestlist?

• Advertisement

Soz...dont listen,too busy enjoying a proper rock station.. but PD would always get my vote...:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A lot of stuff on there is pre recorded...
    Knew someone in school, back in days of the "illegal" incarnation of Nova, who used to do this. Recorded one per day at weekends!

Don't know or care tbh!

Anyway guys, as I asked, which show do you like more - Saturday Soundtrack or the Nova Guestlist?

Neither - both are poor. Anyway, I listen to Pat James while the Guestlist on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Liam Quigley is STILL filling in for Ruth Scott it seems, he was doing so today.

Neither - both are poor. Anyway, I listen to Pat James while the Guestlist on.

Your wrong about the "poor" part. Sorry.

And I personally tend to rotate between the two. Catch one on playback then the following week. Lol!

Well i can say it now...Bye JC....yet another twist in the Hayes takeover....;)

Why is Ireland's Biggest Jukebox finishing up?? I've been listening to this for several years, will miss it now, did John Clarke give a reason?

Why is Ireland's Biggest Jukebox finishing up?? I've been listening to this for several years, will miss it now, did John Clarke give a reason?

Think we all know the REAL reason...

Very sad news about John Clarke's Biggest Jukebox coming to an end. A rare jewel in the radio world. He'll forever be missed.

Think we all know the REAL reason...

Unlikely , Max. His show was very popular and himself and Hayes went back many years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement