Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

radio nova

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Going by what metric?

JNLR the main metric for Advertisers??? what other metric is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Elmo wrote: »
    JNLR the main metric for Advertisers??? what other metric is there?

Fair enough, can you show where they peaked and tailed off? The information is available on the BAI website as you probably know. I don't recall any major drop off after they reached a fairly consistent level.

Fair enough, can you show where they peaked and tailed off? The information is available on the BAI website as you probably know. I don't recall any major drop off after they reached a fairly consistent level.

My point is that they reached that without the changes made, BAI as regulator could say they their music is not the genre or niche they where set up to provide.

2011 5%
    2011/2012 5%
    June 2012 5%
    Oct 2012 4%
    Jan 2013 4%
    Apr 2013 5%
    May 2014 5%
    Nov 2014 5%
    Feb 2015 5%
    Arp 2015 6%
    July 2015 5%
    Oct 2015 6%
    Feb 2016 6%
    Apr 2016 5%
    Oct 2016 5% Commuter 5%
    Feb 2017 5% Commuter 5%
    Apr 2017 no change
    Feb 2017 6% commuter 6%
    May 2017 No change
    Oct 2018 5% commuter 6%
    Jan 2019 no change

Not sure when the expanded into the commuter belt officially. Weekdays above I am sure you can look at the other figures on the BAI site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,909 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not sure when the expanded into the commuter belt officially.

Day 1, was part of the licence offer. The public JNLR summary just didn't include it originally, but the data is there if you're a subscriber I'd imagine; or break in to a radio station with a hoarder that still has all the books.

My point is that they reached that without the changes made, BAI as regulator could say they their music is not the genre or niche they where set up to provide.

2011 5%
    2011/2012 5%
    June 2012 5%
    Oct 2012 4%
    Jan 2013 4%
    Apr 2013 5%
    May 2014 5%
    Nov 2014 5%
    Feb 2015 5%
    Arp 2015 6%
    July 2015 5%
    Oct 2015 6%
    Feb 2016 6%
    Apr 2016 5%
    Oct 2016 5% Commuter 5%
    Feb 2017 5% Commuter 5%
    Apr 2017 no change
    Feb 2017 6% commuter 6%
    May 2017 No change
    Oct 2018 5% commuter 6%
    Jan 2019 no change

Not sure when the expanded into the commuter belt officially. Weekdays above I am sure you can look at the other figures on the BAI site.

Share of listenership is creeping up. Not massively, but trending upwards. Advertisers will prefer this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Is Ruth Scott still with Nova, does anyone know?

Share of listenership is creeping up. Not massively, but trending upwards. Advertisers will prefer this.

In effect this eats into iRadio, FM104, 98FM, East Coast etc mainstream audience, what happens as the all get to 7%? This is why you introduce niche service to serve audience not currently severed, for advertiser to connect to audience otherwise not available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭prunudo

Ireland isn't big enough for niche radio stations. jvan thinks that more diversity would benefit the radio landscape. This has been tried and none has been terribly successful as yet.

You can blame the BAI, the over ambitious licensees, or the non commercial minded listeners... but niche radio will struggle. That's why the BAI allowed derogation. That's my opinion.

Sorry but I don't buy 'Ireland isn't big enough for niche stations arguement'. If anything Ireland or certainly Dublins commuter belt isn't big enough to have Today fm, east coast, 98fm, 104fm, 4fm, Q102, Nova and probably others too all sounding the same.

jvan wrote: »
    Sorry but I don't buy 'Ireland isn't big enough for niche stations arguement'.

That's okay, 'cause I wasn't selling. And that's the purpose of the forum, putting forward one's opinions.

In effect this eats into iRadio, FM104, 98FM, East Coast etc mainstream audience, what happens as the all get to 7%? This is why you introduce niche service to serve audience not currently severed, for advertiser to connect to audience otherwise not available.

Why would that be Nova's concern? What advertising segment do you think is missing out :confused:

And, as has been pointed out, Nova has a very distinct sound. Okay, some songs are played that make the purists lose their shít, but you cannot please everybody, and, as you know, a niche player shouldn't even try :p

• Advertisement

Why would that be Nova's concern? What advertising segment do you think is missing out :confused:

Not Nova's concern the BAI's your into a that a small pond, is so fractured that each of lets 13 radio stations in Dublin get just 1/13 (7%) of the audience each none end up making enough money to carry on or dilute their schedules even more than they have already. A niche station should be able to provide you with a direct market aim at a certain demographic, this should be your selling point, but I am not going to sell an opinion.

A niche station should be able to provide you with a direct market aim at a certain demographic, this should be your selling point, but I am not going to sell an opinion.

Yeah, on this it's best to agree to disagree. Very few advertisers are interested in the demographic that would be Dublin and commuter area that catered to those that liked a very broad (not just the most popular) rock station. I can't think of one, never mind enough to sustain a radio station (purely based on it being niche).

To further labour the point if there were then phantom would have succeeded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I see Liam Quigley has been slotted in instead of John Clarke on Sunday morning.

It could have been a whole lot worse...Morty or Ruth Scott...🀔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

New guy in on saturdays afternoons. "Molly" as he was known on galway bay fm breakfast

It's an absolute disgrace that John Clarke is gone, the last best DJ. I'm finished with Nova, will never ever tune in again. I would love to see the likes of Sunshine or 4fm pick up Ireland's Biggest jukebox,maybe it's just wishful thinking

It's an absolute disgrace that John Clarke is gone, the last best DJ. I'm finished with Nova, will never ever tune in again. I would love to see the likes of Sunshine or 4fm pick up Ireland's Biggest jukebox,maybe it's just wishful thinking

It's on RTÉ Gold on Sunday mornings but it's Michael Cahill presenting it.

New guy in on saturdays afternoons. "Molly" as he was known on galway bay fm breakfast

Neil Molloy I believe? He also plays a Garda in Bridget & Eamon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Is he mates with Hayes too...???

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭peterobrien100

hope the Guards arrest the music director for crimes against your ears and murdering good music

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭jucko

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
    just checking in lads,
    Master of puppets on Planet Rock now,
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    MASTER MASTER!1

flooking radio nova
    is yer one still on it in the mornings?

• Advertisement

jucko wrote: »
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
    just checking in lads,
    Master of puppets on Planet Rock now,
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    MASTER MASTER!1

flooking radio nova
    is yer one still on it in the mornings?

Of course she is...Hayes wouldnt have anyone on who's more intelligent than himself.....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

Arctic Monkeys 'Are you mine' on just after lunch. Turned it up good and loud, great to hear.

First actual rock song I've heard on the station for a few weeks - I'm not joking, everytime I've flicked it on its been either Elton John, Chris Rea, Prince (???) or Dire Straits. None of those are rock to my ears, classic hits for sure but not rock or classic rock.

Perhaps it's turned a corner :)

mollser wrote: »
    Arctic Monkeys 'Are you mine' on just after lunch. Turned it up good and loud, great to hear.

First actual rock song I've heard on the station for a few weeks - I'm not joking, everytime I've flicked it on its been either Elton John, Chris Rea, Prince (???) or Dire Straits. None of those are rock to my ears, classic hits for sure but not rock or classic rock.

Its just a phase...you'll be sick of that song before the weeks out..they were at the Pal Norte festival the weekend , someone probably mentioned (PD maybe) to Hayes.......:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭prunudo

Unlikely, jumped in the van this morning and the radio was on nova from yesterday (not sure who but they were playing good songs around lunch time) and Florence and the machine were playing so hit the tune button. Next station up, East Coast fm playing Sweet child of mine! Pretty much sums up why I dislike Nova, they claim they're something they are not and you've as much chamce of hearing rock music on the majority of other stations.

Dee/Ruth always play decent tunes, might not be "rock" but good enough without all the crap chat..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

mollser wrote: »

Any day I hear Prince on the radio is a good day.

He was one of the greatest guitar players of the last 50 years and one of the best all round musicians too. He didn't really give a shyte about genres but apparently it's the only thing that matters here.

Dire Straits are surely the embodiment of what you all think Nova should be playing. It's hard to imagine any band who fit the stereotype more. They're far more classic rock than the Arctic Monkeys.

Any day I hear Prince on the radio is a good day.

He was one of the greatest guitar players of the last 50 years and one of the best all round musicians too. He didn't really give a shyte about genres but apparently it's the only thing that matters here.

Dire Straits are surely the embodiment of what you all think Nova should be playing. It's hard to imagine any band who fit the stereotype more. They're far more classic rock than the Arctic Monkeys.

You couldnt be more wrong....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭rolling boh

But what exactly is classic rock it seems to have a broad definition with a lot of posters on here.So it's hardly surprising a station have trouble filling the time with what most would define as classic rock without playing fairly obscure tracks with little appeal to the non diehards.

But what exactly is classic rock it seems to have a broad definition with a lot of posters on here.So it's hardly surprising a station have trouble filling the time with what most would define as classic rock without playing fairly obscure tracks with little appeal to the non diehards.

But 50 maybe 100 people would love it. Shur, what more could Nova want.

• Advertisement

Well its been a long time since nova has been considered as a "classic rock" station, or of late a rock station of any description...its more an 80's pop station if anything with a few alternative tracks thrown in ,in case any phantom/tx fm listeners happen to be passing...its a real mongrel , but when you have Hayes at the helm what would you expect..he doesnt know his arse from his face...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Last two songs on Planet Rock - Phantom of The Opera and Let There Be Rock. Why the hell can't Nova play quality like that?

FanadMan wrote: »
    Last two songs on Planet Rock - Phantom of The Opera and Let There Be Rock. Why the hell can't Nova play quality like that?

We're u listening around 5...what a selection...fcuking epic..

We're u listening around 5...what a selection...fcuking epic..

Nah - lawn had to be mowed :( Will have a look at the playlist to see what I missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Teacher0101

Hayes might not know his elbow from his arse, but he doesn't pick the songs. They have and A, B, and C list of songs on rotation like any station.

Hayes might not know his elbow from his arse, but he doesn't pick the songs. They have and A, B, and C list of songs on rotation like any station.

Think that Hayes, being programme director for Nova, has the last say on the playlist. He just doesn't give a crap that his original core listeners are leaving because of the terrible shows (Colm & Lucy) and the worse than terrible music being played.

I was a constant listener but now just tune in for the Friday Night Rock Show where Tony actually has control over what is played, and Off The Record which has been thankfully been promoted to the digital channel (no ads or news or other Nova crap) so just great music from a real DJ.

The rest of the time I listen to Planet Rock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Teacher0101

Em, at least the Lcu Kennedy and Colm Hayes thing is a bit funny.

The ****ing smashie and nicey/Noel Edmonds ****e that was on before with that Marty Miller and his wife. Every 30 seconds there was some crap about their baby. Or 'Fecked Up News' - like, is this 1993 when people don't have the internet?

The ****ing smashie and nicey/Noel Edmonds ****e that was on before with that Marty Miller and his wife. Every 30 seconds there was some crap about their baby. Or 'Fecked Up News' - like, is this 1993 when people don't have the internet?

Are you listening to the right show...:confused:....whenever i listened it was all my baby, your baby, her baby....and different coloured baby sh1t....but now its extended until 3 o clock....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

They are radio cancer

They are radio cancer

heres hoping....:p

Great start to Darrens show again....

• 14:37
      1533.jpg?ver=1465084002

My Old School Steely Dan
    • 14:34
      137979.jpg?ver=1552879293

Bomb Through The Breeze Hanna Wicklund and The Steppin' Stones
    • 14:30
      443.jpg?ver=1465083413

Runaway Bon Jovi
    • 14:26
      925.jpg?ver=1465083695

Surrender Cheap Trick
    • 14:19
      9602.jpg?ver=1464803653

Round And Round Ratt
    • 14:16
      4951.jpg?ver=1464807757

Holding All The Roses Blackberry Smoke
    • 14:09
      521.jpg?ver=1465083466

It's Only Rock 'n Roll The Rolling Stones
    • 14:05
      672.jpg?ver=1465083561

The Trooper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Dub Ste

Heard a bit of Courtenay on the way home last night..........

Will someone, anyone please tell him, he is just not funny, at all,in any way shape or form, please
    He is the Des Bishop of radio presenters......he really is that unfunny.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Dub Ste wrote: »

Will someone, anyone please tell him, he is just not funny, at all,in any way shape or form, please

Have to disagree with you there...

Not about Courtenay. He IS unfunny.

But Des isn't anywhere near as unfunny. Des manages to raise a wee smile or even a little chuckle from time to time.

But Courtenay...

He's just a fcuking gob5hite.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Dub Ste

Have to disagree with you there...

Not about Courtenay. He IS unfunny.

But Des isn't anywhere near as unfunny. Des manages to raise a wee smile or even a little chuckle from time to time.

But Courtenay...

He's just a fcuking gob5hite.

Outside, now !!!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Just heard Morty mention that John Clarke is back for a breakfast show starting 7am next Sunday.....

Just heard Morty mention that John Clarke is back for a breakfast show starting 7am next Sunday.....

John Clarke is back on Nova that is astonishing what great news !!

Wonder what happened he is back on the station !

T

I was a constant listener but now just tune in for the Friday Night Rock Show where Tony actually has control over what is played, and Off The Record

Does The Friday Night Rock Show post the playlists anywhere ?

The stuff at the the start of the show last week and Gary Moore I couldn't catch
    what was played !

Thanks

T

I was a constant listener but now just tune in for the Friday Night Rock Show where Tony actually has control over what is played, and Off The Record

Does The Friday Night Rock Show post the playlists anywhere ?

The stuff at the the start of the show last week and Gary Moore I couldn't catch
    what was played !

Thanks

Nah - think only Pat James and Kieran McGuinness post a playlist. You might be lucky still be able to download the playback of last weeks show.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dargull

Dub Ste wrote: »

Over and Under!

John Clarke is back on Nova that is astonishing what great news !!

Wonder what happened he is back on the station !

Maybe his lawyer can tell you.......;);)

Nah - think only Pat James and Kieran McGuinness post a playlist. You might be lucky still be able to download the playback of last weeks show.

Cheers got the first hour on play back will listen to the rest before later

• Advertisement
Advertisement