Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

radio nova

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Started listening in the car after RTE Gold went off DAB.

So far it's not too bad apart from a slight issue with poor signal around here and a huge issue with that pair of idiots called PJ and Jim in the mornings. They are a disaster.

Not anywhere as bad as the wastes of oxygen that preceded them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    IF Nova listeners think those are the 10 Greatest Guitar Songs Of The 90's, then absolute yikes.

What were the songs?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    What were the songs?

Green Day - Good Riddance
    Blur - Country House
    REM -Everybody Hurts
    AC/DC - Thunderstruck
    EMF - Unbelievable
    Goo Goo Dolls – Iris
    Red Hot Chili Peppers – Under The bridge
    Nirvana – Smells Like Teen Spirit
    Radiohead – Creep
    Oasis – Don’t Look Back In Anger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Blur - Country House
    REM -Everybody Hurts
    AC/DC - Thunderstruck
    EMF - Unbelievable
    Goo Goo Dolls – Iris
    Radiohead – Creep

I like those songs but I think Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots deserve to be on a list of 90s guitar riffs.

I like those songs but I think Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots deserve to be on a list of 90s guitar riffs.

Megadeth, Pantera, Rage Against The Machine, Machine Head too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Good Lord back to the pronunciation gaffs again. 1 o'clock sports news mentioned Pep Gwar dole ia, Pariss Saint Jermayne and Rotterdam (Rotherham).

Are they still using work experience news/sports readers??

I don't think any "rock songs of the 90s" countdown is complete without at least one PJ song.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Blur - Country House
    REM -Everybody Hurts
    AC/DC - Thunderstruck
    EMF - Unbelievable
    Goo Goo Dolls – Iris
    Radiohead – Creep

Right so basically the radio nova playlist then?
    Joke of a station.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I agree. However it could be argued that STP and AIC didn't have any guitar riffs that would be instantly recognized or iconic. To a wider audience. I love them both.
    A RATM song should definitely be in there and Enter Sandman has to be as well. Also November Rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Blur - Country House
    REM -Everybody Hurts
    AC/DC - Thunderstruck
    EMF - Unbelievable
    Goo Goo Dolls – Iris
    Radiohead – Creep

Goo Goo Dolls ?

Goo Goo Dolls ?

I'm sure these guys agree with you.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I agree. However it could be argued that STP and AIC didn't have any guitar riffs that would be instantly recognized or iconic. To a wider audience. I love them both.
    A RATM song should definitely be in there and Enter Sandman has to be as well. Also November Rain.

I'd swap out Enter Sandman for either Holier Than Thou, The God That Failed. It's like the rest of The Black Album gets forgotten about if it isn't Enter Sandman/Nothing Else Matters/Wherever I May Roam/Sad But True.

As for November Rain, it's the 5th best epic across the Illusions albums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I try to listen to Radio Nova but as soon as I hear "We'redoinganallnider", I hit the button and go someplace else. PJ and Jim are oxygen thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 JW7

Good Lord back to the pronunciation gaffs again. 1 o'clock sports news mentioned Pep Gwar dole ia, Pariss Saint Jermayne and Rotterdam (Rotherham).

Are they still using work experience news/sports readers??

Heard that alright, I squirmed. So bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

JW7 wrote: »
    Heard that alright, I squirmed. So bad

And the worst thing (apart from the 2 o'clock news being the 1 o'clock news) was that no-one corrected her...ah well she's probably only 9......:rolleyes:

Oh yeah...Fear of the dark.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

And the worst thing (apart from the 2 o'clock news being the 1 o'clock news) was that no-one corrected her...ah well she's probably only 9......:rolleyes:

the news on these stations (Nova, Classic Hits, Sunshine) are recorded so probably a technical hitch

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

When spending all day at home in your mother's box room, in middle-aged enforced reclusiveness, furiously tugging away after each inane post or musing, try not to get so triggered by someone merely attempting their best even if its a little off, and instead focus your ire on the powers that be. Oh I forgot, you do that anyway, endlessly and yet its as futile and impotent as your own existence.

:D:D:D....you sound like me da...you're not are you....???
    As long as I keep annoying you it's totes worth it.....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 29 JW7

Do me a favour don't reply to my posts
    I thought you don't listen to Nova at all yet you are on this forum continuously

As a blow in troll I'd expect that sh1te from you..if you were a regular poster you'd know I NEVER said I don't listen.....
    Carry on trying to sound like you're the first to complain tho if it makes you feel like a maverick... you're **** thankers will keep you company...:rolleyes:

Banned - ALNM!

• Advertisement

another clanger today - whilst referring to the additional countries added to the red list, it was pronounced as Ang gulla (having great fun typing phonetically)

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Seriously repetitive music.....

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

As a blow in troll I'd expect that sh1te from you..if you were a regular poster you'd know I NEVER said I don't listen.....
    Carry on trying to sound like you're the first to complain tho if it makes you feel like a maverick... you're **** thankers will keep you company...:rolleyes:

Banned - ALNM!

YEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Everyone enjoying the breakfast show.....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Haven’t had a second to listen , surely it’s better? I hear our friends over in classic hits got the raw deal

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Yep.. You?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

I wont tune to Nova until after 10.00am.

ChannelNo5 wrote: »
    Yep.. You?

Gotta be honest, tuned in at the start but found PJ's ever increasing tone throughout the show annoying....I'll stick with Lauren Laverne ;)

Gotta be honest, tuned in at the start but found PJ's ever increasing tone throughout the show annoying....I'll stick with Lauren Laverne ;)

Lauren laverne!! Ah Jesus! nails on a chalk board that one. I'll take PJ's Dublin accent over that any day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Lauren laverne!! Ah Jesus! nails on a chalk board that one. I'll take PJ's Dublin accent over that any day

Gallagher doesn't fit Nova somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭prunudo

Yes and no, better than previous duo, but still prone to wander from what I would deem a Nova playlist.
    I still believe they were a better fit for Classic hits though where they seemed more at home and enjoyed the cheesy music they played.

Never listened to them on CH..it all seems a bit forced ..are they the same now as they were on CH..??..i mean the content?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Neg10

Who was the absolute Alan Patridge guy on Saturday afternoon? Classic Banter included "Hot Love? More like hot rain this afternoon" and "Gigs? Remember them? They're coming back!"

I'd be less worried about the breakfast show and more worried about this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Stovepipe wrote: »
    I try to listen to Radio Nova but as soon as I hear "We'redoinganallnider", I hit the button and go someplace else. PJ and Jim are oxygen thieves.

dalendless dwads

Neg10 wrote: »
    Who was the absolute Alan Patridge guy on Saturday afternoon? Classic Banter included "Hot Love? More like hot rain this afternoon" and "Gigs? Remember them? They're coming back!"

It was Matt Dempsey.

Neg10 wrote: »

Still a whole lot better than Ruth Scott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

It was Matt Dempsey.

Since when has Matt Dempsey been on Radio Nova? He had been associated with Q102 for a number of years (mainly behind the scenes). He was the Assistant Programme Director as well as Music Director. I see from Linkedin that he left Q102 last December.

Matt has extensive radio experience, but I always felt that a rock-oriented station might suit him. I first heard him on 1980s alternative-leaning pirate Capitol Radio/Nitesky Radio. He was also a presenter on temporary licensed 949 The Rock, the forerunner to Radio Nova.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 862 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Since when has Matt Dempsey been on Radio Nova? He had been associated with Q102 for a number of years (mainly behind the scenes). He was the Assistant Programme Director as well as Music Director. I see from Linkedin that he left Q102 last December.

Matt has extensive radio experience, but I always felt that a rock-oriented station might suit him. I first heard him on 1980s alternative-leaning pirate Capitol Radio/Nitesky Radio. He was also a presenter on temporary licensed 949 The Rock, the forerunner to Radio Nova.
    I think I heard Luke O’Faolain mentioning that Matt was presenting his first show on Nova last Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Neg10

Sounded like his first show ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

He was dreadfull at red fm in early days. Started playing oldies on the youth station to compete with 96fm. Magic matt.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Tuned into the morning show for the first time in ages.

Was lucky enough to catch "dog poo bingo"

Wasn't a fan of Colm and Lucy, but not sure this is much of a step up.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭prunudo

GLaDOS wrote: »

I do wonder how much the producer is to blame for the content on the two shows. I don't recall the lads having dog poo bingo style competitions on CH.

GLaDOS wrote: »

Ah hang on, this is just giving out for the sake of it now! You know this silliness is part of a bigger initiative with Dogs Trust to encourage people to pick up their dogs sh1te which has become an even bigger problem during the pandemic. Fair enough if you don't like them or the music but this is a real stretch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Ah hang on, this is just giving out for the sake of it now! You know this silliness is part of a bigger initiative with Dogs Trust to encourage people to pick up their dogs sh1te which has become an even bigger problem during the pandemic. Fair enough if you don't like them or the music but this is a real stretch.

I'm all for encouraging people to pick up after their dogs but how in God's name are this pair given 4 hours of broadcasting time.............yes, it's a ****e show and I will not tune into Nova until after 10.00am.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭AlgerShane

Agreed about the “dog poo bingo” thing. We have Nova on in the newsagents I work at. Not sure if it is supposed to be a “step up” from the previous duo or not. I’ve been trying to let them grow on me but as of now, this seems a bit ridiculous...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭AlgerShane

Looks like there's been a few subtle changes as of late. Ruth Scott isn't listed on the website anymore and it looks like Matt Dempsey has indeed officially replaced her on weekend afternoons. They have some new guy called Dave doing some sort of community reports on Saturday mornings and is filling in for Pat Courtenay this week. And Kieran McGuinness mentioned that "Emily" was playing tunes after his show last week. Didn't listen but could be his partner. Anybody else notice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Heard Marty discussing the latest Roger waters pink floyd drama regarding a reissue of animals and the usual stuff about having to rebuy stuff as if he grew up with pink floyd as opposed to the reality of s club 7 and steps :)

AlgerShane wrote: »
    Looks like there's been a few subtle changes as of late. Ruth Scott isn't listed on the website anymore and it looks like Matt Dempsey has indeed officially replaced her on weekend afternoons. They have some new guy called Dave doing some sort of community reports on Saturday mornings and is filling in for Pat Courtenay this week. And Kieran McGuinness mentioned that "Emily" was playing tunes after his show last week. Didn't listen but could be his partner. Anybody else notice?

thought it was Matt Dempsey in for PC ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 862 ✭✭✭amlinopta

AlgerShane wrote: »
    No reference to Nova at the top of Ruth’s Twitter page although not sure there used to be? She’s just a radio and tv host and an MC but not station specific. Haven’t heard heard her for a couple of weeks.

amlinopta wrote: »
    No reference to Nova at the top of Ruth’s Twitter page although not sure there used to be? She’s just a radio and tv host and an MC but not station specific. Haven’t heard heard her for a couple of weeks.

Wasn't it CH who brought her onboard ? Wouldn't surprise me if she's gone - shortly after he moved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement