Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

radio nova

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Wasn't it CH who brought her onboard ? Wouldn't surprise me if she's gone - shortly after he moved.

Maybe it is a cost-cutting measure.

Been listening in regularly to Nova again recently when I heard that Colm & Lucy left. Music has improved and less adverts for hilarious clips from the breakfast show. What are anybodys elses views since they left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,265 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

they should never have happened in the first place, good riddance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭prunudo

Likewise, but it was an easy switch for me as I listened to PJ and Jim on CH. The difference now is I have Nova on the preset while driving again so do find myself listening more if I'm in the car during the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Likewise, so glad the other two are gone.

Had switched to classic hits to avoid them so back to nova I went. It gets left on all day now. Some of it is a bit cringe but it's definitely a massive improvement since the morning show changed. Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭AlgerShane

I didn’t mind Hayes personally but he did make some foolish decisions, and Lucy was not the most enjoyable or pleasant to listen to for sure. PJ and Jim are at least good fun nonetheless. I’ve actually noticed a few things since Hayes departed- for a start, they don’t seem to be playing anything “new” every hour. Instead, they’ve replaced those “new” songs with “pop rock” (if that’s what you want to call it…) songs from Irish artists/bands (OneRepublic/Twenty One Pilots/Gavin James), and some other well-known numbers from their regularly featured artists/bands (i.e. Florence & The Machine). Pretty sure the idea and ambition behind getting Hayes on board totally backfired on them and now they’ve had to resort back to square one in terms of gaining some sort of commercial success. Oh well, at least we still have Tony back on Friday Night Rock Show, and the legendary Pat James recently got a gig back on FM presenting Nova’s new Sunday Night Classic Album. So…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I only discovered the other day that the Classic Album at Midnight is now on Sundays as well - it was being advertised. I did not know Pat James was presenting it though. That said, I could not imagine him tolerating all of the Born in the USA album (by Bruce Springsteen) - that album was mentioned as being on that show yesterday. Pat does like some Springsteen but I don't think most of that album would be the kind of stuff PJ would like. Don't forget that he can play what he likes on Off the Record (Saturdays, on Nova's digital station Classic Rock_. Still, it's an interesting twist if he is being given a slot again, however small, on the main Radio Nova.

Fair play to Colm Hayes thought, he hasn't been out of work more than 6 months the past 40 years, not many other freelance djs have been so lucky.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

The station turns 11 today it seems.

Never really been a listener but tried it when Pj and Jim switched from CH for breakfast

Have to say the definition of 'rock' presumably ok with the BAI is odd to say the least...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I actually enjoy Radio Nova. I hope they will be on air for another 11 years and more. I am currently not in Ireland, but tune into the station often on the internet.

• Advertisement

I heard Emily Brew standing in for Greg Gaughran a few nights ago. I see that she has been with Nova since May. Her background is marketing and her first big break into radio was five years ago with Christmas FM. Fair play to her.

Post edited by Declan A Walsh on

I heard a bit of Matt Dempsey this afternoon as indeed I have over a number of weekends. He seems to have settled down in his role as weekend presenter. I wonder will he get more gigs with Nova? Matt has extensive and varied radio experience. I think Nova, among all the licensed stations he was involved with (with the possible exception of its forerunner 949 The Rock), has the nearest match to the kind of music he used to play back in the 1980s on pirate Capitol/Nitesky Radio. That is where I first heard him.

And lo and behold, I heard Matt early yesterday evening - he must have been standing in for Pat Courtenay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I have to say .

i really like Marty Miller ... i turn off dermot&dave to listen to him every day now.

and then listen to Dee woods afterwards... I think she is an excellent presenter.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homer

Looks like Luke O’ Faoilan is calling it a day. He announced it on his Twitter this morning. Pity, he was great fun to listen to. Rumour has it there’ll be a change of personnel in the near future, so pray to oh Holy Lord that means no more Gavin James, One Republic, Twenty One Pilots, Imagine Dragons, newer Coldplay etc. 🙏

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I’m almost certain I heard him back on 98FM recently. It was their night time show so maybe he’s left Nova to go back to them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I've been driving to the office a couple of days each week for the last few weeks so it's been the first chance I've had to listen to the new breakfast show. So much better than the 2 muppets they had on previously. And the standard of the music has improved a lot.

• Advertisement

Time to take stock of former Radio Nova staff that are still involved in Irish radio.

Mike Maloney - online stations More Music Ireland and Christmas FM (soon to be on FM for the Christmas period)

Liam Quigley - online station More Music Ireland

Enda Murphy - Sunshine 106.8 and Classic Hits

Colm Hayes and Lucy Kennedy, Lisa Gernon - Classic Hits

Phil Cawley - South East Radio

Carol Dooley - Sunshine 106.8

Adrienne O'Hora, Gareth O'Connor - online station Christmas FM

Johnny Bowe, Breffni Clack - Q102

Paul Moriarity - RTE Radio 1

John Power - online station GCR Digital Radio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

According to Phil Cawley's instagram, he is back on Radio Nova on December 4th from 2pm - so you can take him off that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Along with Ruth Scott, Phil leaves the fill-in / swing slots and later re-appears.

One could be forgiven for thinking that Phil Cawley's time with Radio Nova was gone. I remember that Jack Hyland used to be with Radio Nova, often as a fill-in. Then he was gone for some time before turning up again as a fill-in. I think he left for good last time as I believe he has left the radio scene - Moss Breathnach is his real name outside of radio broadcasting. Incidentally, I heard Gerry Healy recently on Nova - he was someone who had left a couple of years ago.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Latest numbers...

Not surprised, its come on leaps and bounds since Hayes and Lucy left. Still not perfect but far better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Time to do something about the work experience newsreaders. From referring to the Ca poo chins, Everton the toffs and other clangers it's beyond embarrassing.

I briefly heard Jack Hyland on Radio Nova this morning. You never know when he will turn up on it!

Phil Cawley was on early in the afternoon today. He is still keeping the hand in with Radio Nova.

and he was on early this morning also ...

Busy man :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I wonder if PC is getting the hourly rate of €16.80?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Bit of unexpected and fantastic news for all of us longtime Nova listener's courtesy of Tony Ainscough last night: he announced the return of The Classics with Steve Downes this Sunday night at 9 p.m. 😎

Starting with a David Bowie special. Let's hope John Clarke and Peter Devlin might be next 😏

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Are there signs they'll be bringing a greater variation to the playlist? During the day it can get depressing to hear the same songs over and over.

If I was in charge, I'd institute an hour or more where no songs that were released as singles could be played.

Baby steps, its way better than it was under Hayes tenure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

probably asked before, but why aren't they/haven't they been granted a nationwide licence? surely that'd double the available listenership, and bring up ad revenues, and make the station more viable?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

Because the BAI haven't advertised for any new nationwide licences.

There's no process by which they could apply to go nationwide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,243 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

in short no, the BAI have to advertise a license and seek expressions of interest.

the BAI are unlikely to ever advertise new licenses unfortunately, only readvertise existing licenses.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

He’s been doing a fair amount of cover at 98FM lately. It’s an interesting choice for him to go back again when him being let go still seems fairly recently.

that's a pity. i don't see the logic in geographically limiting a station which has no regional aspect to its content (though it's not something i have a lot of knowledge of tbf)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,243 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

protectionism of the existing stations and keeping the broadcasting levy coming in is all.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

Minister Catherine Martin said last year that it is her personal view that any space on the FM band for an additional nationwide station should be given to Raidió Rí-Rá... facepalm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,164 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Has Nova been bought out by Chris Martin? I swear every 3rd song is Coldplay, and most of the rest are Queen or the Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭furiousox

The entire radio nova playlist.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Flowergirl201

Anyone any idea where PJ is gone to?? He's missing ages

I think Jim said he was off doing filming for a tv show. He used to go missing for a few weeks when they were on classical hits too.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Flowergirl201

Ah grand, I'm glad he's not out sick, cheers

I am assuming that Friday Night 80s presented by Dee Woods is voice tracked, as she did not give out a number for requests when I was listening to a bit of it tonight in the car. I sent a message to the station to point out to Dee a mistake in what she said, but I don't think she will see it! Dee was talking about Paul Weller and his career. She then said she would go back to 1980 and The Jam and words to the effect of "their debut single which went straight in at Number 1". I know she was referring to Going Underground, which was played after the ads break, but it was not their debit single. That honour goes to In The City back in 1977. I pointed this out and that they had a number of Top 40 hits before their first Number 1. It is a bit annoying when a program is voice tracked/recorded and you notice a mistake in what the presenter has said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Nova needs a 90s show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Advertisement