Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smear test

• 01-09-2016 6:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

Anyone been told recently how long after a baby you can go for a smear? The GP told me but I can't remember!
    I got the letter from cervical check saying I'm due one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

I'm nearly sure my PHN said 4-6 months after birth, but if someone else could back me up on that cos I got my letter in the post recently too (baby in April!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

My GP said 3 months. I got my letter and had a baby in June so she said I should be good for September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

3 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Cool. Will book in for it now so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My gyny did my smear test at the six week post natal check up. Killing two birds with one stone, so to speak!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Midwife told me the last time that it was as soon as your period returns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Midwife told me the last time that it was as soon as your period returns.

If you're breastfeeding that might be a long wait! It's definitely not necessary to wait until your period returns. My GP surgery said 4 months to me because I am breastfeeding. Not sure if you're not breastfeeding if there is a wait or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

bovril wrote: »
    If you're breastfeeding that might be a long wait! It's definitely not necessary to wait until your period returns. My GP surgery said 4 months to me because I am breastfeeding. Not sure if you're not breastfeeding if there is a wait or not.

I got my smear both times at the 6 week check up. For my first child, I didn't get my period back til he was a year old so I would have been very late getting the test if I had waited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

bovril wrote: »

I was breastfeeding when she told me, so maybe there is some kind of wait? Or maybe she was just bonkers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Each time I've been pregnant I've been told by phn to wait 12 weeks. After I had my last I was just over a year from my last smear and the doc told me I was ok to wait until my next one was due.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

My son's 18 months and my period isn't back yet so I'd be waiting!! I've never heard to wait until finished breastfeeding, that would mean waiting years for some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I had a really bad 3rd degree tear after my last. It took at least 6 months before I could face having anyone going anywhere near that region :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

I got a letter aswell soon after birth. My doctor recommended not to get one until at least 3 mths after birth + would be no harm to even leave it till 4/5 mths.

Advertisement