Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet phone scammer's ring N.C.D number's

Options
  • 01-09-2016 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

We have been plagued with foreign Internet scammer's ringing us at all hour's, sometime's up to 4 time a day,claiming to be from ''Eircom'' and now Eir.
    They claim to contact you as your ISP and that your pc and wi/fi has a security leak.
    Just in case this crowd have a database of NCD phone number's,I thought I would high light it, I know you are all savvy but they are very convincing and a senior citizen or youth may not cop on to their game.
    I know it was highlighted on Joe Duffy recently,but just to clarify - NO ISP will ever contact you by phone or e-mail about your phone or internet security.
    I thought I had got rid of them by answering the phone as Balbriggan Garda station,the call's stopped for a while but are now back.
    So please make everybody in the house aware these people are criminal's and do not work for any ISP here in this country,it may just save your bank account's and credit card detail's being emptied and personal detail's being used for who know's what.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭koutoubia

thanks dslam. it only takes one person to fall for it to justify thousands of calls.
    just as an extra side of security after you hang up unplug the phone cable form the wall to make sure the connection has been fully broken from your phone line and the scammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

A friend of a friend fell victim to these scammer's today in Lusk ,luckily and hopefully,just as they were in the middle of the call,a family member intervened hung up the phone,and switched off the laptop and modem.
    Just in case they had to go to the trouble of ringing all the bank's etc ,and tech support's ,please please say it too family and friend's again,as these scammer's are very very convincing ,No ISP will ever contact you about your internet security - EVER .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

A relation of mine was taken in by them recently and damage was done to the PC (they put a password on it that you can't reset). Had to get Windows reinstalled on it. One piece of advice I got was when they call, just say to them "hold on, while I get my glasses" or something and just leave the phone off hook, for at least 20 minutes. That drives them nuts and they won't call you back.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A pal of mine recorded one of these calls. He messed about with him for a good 15 minutes - it was hilarious. Spent ages supposedly looking for the right Windows settings then 'realised' he was on his wife's Mac. Then said his windows laptop was running out of power so kept the guy waiting while he 'looked' for the power lead. If I can find the link on SoundCloud I'll post it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

I got a phone call a while ago - I was so annoyed that I just hung up straight away because I always swore to myself that I would mess with them if they rang!

I'm always concerned that somehow they'll have reversed the charges so I'm slightly reluctant to keep them on the line and mess with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I had around 5 minutes worth of fun with a chap one evening until he heard my wife & kids laughing in the background. He went absolutely ape when he realized the game was up.

Him: You think I f**king do this for a laugh, you a**hole?!
    Me: No. I think that you do this because you are a naughty boy who likes taking advantage of naive people.
    Him: F**k you, a**hole!

:D

Advertisement