Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

747s next in Ireland? ? ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mrgavo

At little bit off topic but there is supposedly an Emirates Airbus A380 landing in Dublin Airport on Sunday 26th of March at 14.10.

https://flyinginireland.com/2017/02/emirates-a380-to-visit-dublin-airport/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

mrgavo wrote: »
    Yeah seen someone on Facebook say there is only 10 of them in the world!

DSC_0594_zpsfaf6ilj6.jpg

Took this in Jeddah 3 years back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Manuel

The first photos of Sunday's special visitor up on Shannon Spotters on FB were followed by some confused comments by youngsters who didn't know about the SP, which I thought were funny.

The photo caption just said "Saudi 747", and these were the first comments:

"Looks small or is it ?"

"Jaysus! Where's the rest of it?"

"An SP, fab."

"Had to go to the wiki for this:

The Boeing 747SP is a modified version of the Boeing 747 jet airliner which was designed for ultra-long-range flights. The SP stands for "Special Performance". The 747SP is similar to the 747-100 except for the shortened fuselage, larger tailplane, and simplified trailing edge flaps. The weight saved by the shorter fuselage permits longer range and increased speed relative to other 747 configurations."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Manuel wrote: »
    The first photos of Sunday's special visitor up on Shannon Spotters on FB were followed by some confused comments by youngsters who didn't know about the SP, which I thought were funny.

The photo caption just said "Saudi 747", and these were the first comments:

"Looks small or is it ?"

"Jaysus! Where's the rest of it?"

"An SP, fab."

"Had to go to the wiki for this:

The Boeing 747SP is a modified version of the Boeing 747 jet airliner which was designed for ultra-long-range flights. The SP stands for "Special Performance". The 747SP is similar to the 747-100 except for the shortened fuselage, larger tailplane, and simplified trailing edge flaps. The weight saved by the shorter fuselage permits longer range and increased speed relative to other 747 configurations."

Everyday is a school day, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭cml387

I always thought it was an odd looking aircraft.
    Interesting to note it was designed in response to a request from Pan Am and Iran Air for an aircraft capable of direct flights from Tehran to NY.
    Things didn't really work out for that.
    Iran Air still had Sp's up to a few years ago I think, I remember seeing one at Heathrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,705 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Some of the beneficiaries of the B747SP were the South African Airways services from South Africa to Europe when the apartheid rules were in place.

SAA were banned from flying over mainland Africa during that time and as such had to fly around the eastern coast of the continent, normally refuelling at Ilha do Sal in the Cape Verde Islands.

The extended range of the B747SP allowed them to operate the services non-stop, despite the extended distance travelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭de biz

Slight tread drift but noteworthy:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP080hg6VlU

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

@de biz, I've had the pleasure of flying in that particular B744 :):)

As for the -SP, sometimes the interior configuration defeats the purpose of the design as the range is radically shortened.

Class @ Smurf

Have to say I was impressed with the escalator equipped pax steps.

Intrigued what type is used to position the steps vehicle...Herc possibly?

Can you confirm if the onboard video footage is actually of the Custodians 747.

Amazed if it is considering the context.

The man is 82 years old, do you really want him to walk down the stairs?

You will find that there were a couple of B747 cargo aircraft with the fleet.

There is a company rule that NO cameras are allowed onboard, the cabin crew literally have to hand their phones to security prior to boarding, so I'm amazed that this video was allowed.

BTW its the only 3 decker aircraft in the world :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

smurfjed wrote: »
    The man is 82 years old, do you really want him to walk down the stairs?

You will find that there were a couple of B747 cargo aircraft with the fleet.

There is a company rule that NO cameras are allowed onboard, the cabin crew literally have to hand their phones to security prior to boarding, so I'm amazed that this video was allowed.

BTW its the only 3 decker aircraft in the world :)

Smurfjed slightly off topic but what are the status of Saudi Royal flight MD-11s HZ-HM7 and HZ-AFAS (ex HZ-AFA1 / HM8) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

lxflyer wrote: »
    Some of the beneficiaries of the B747SP were the South African Airways services from South Africa to Europe when the apartheid rules were in place.

SAA were banned from flying over mainland Africa during that time and as such had to fly around the eastern coast of the continent, normally refuelling at Ilha do Sal in the Cape Verde Islands.

The extended range of the B747SP allowed them to operate the services non-stop, despite the extended distance travelled.

To get around that didn't Luxair lease a SAA SP ......flag of convenience to fly direct?

BZ wrote: »
    Smurfjed slightly off topic but what are the status of Saudi Royal flight MD-11s HZ-HM7 and HZ-AFAS (ex HZ-AFA1 / HM8) ?

30-03-2013, 21:55
    #806 smurfjed
    blue_star_3.gif

Adverts | Friends

Yep, it's parked right beside HZ-HM7, totally out of service in Jeddah.

8605469648_754bc31241_z.jpg

Smurfjed

The MD11 are actually owned by two individuals, they grounded them about a year after one of the previous Kings passed away. You can see one in Captain Skidmarks picture on the left side, the other one is parked behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,705 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

duskyjoe wrote: »
    To get around that didn't Luxair lease a SAA SP ......flag of convenience to fly direct?

Three of them - although one was written off.

Scroll to the bottom of this page for some images:
    http://www.trekairways.co.za/Trek_Airways_Luxair.htm

smurfjed wrote: »
    The MD11 are actually owned by two individuals, they grounded them about a year after one of the previous Kings passed away. You can see one in Captain Skidmarks picture on the left side, the other one is parked behind it.

A shame really. I had the pleasure of being on HZ-HM7 once in SNN a couple of years ago fantastic interior setup on it.

They were a strange choice for corporate aircraft and I'm sure that it was purely coincidental that they arrived at the same time as a load of F15's...

747 due into Shannon tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

747 due into Shannon tomorrow

Any more information?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I spotted a post on Facebook that it's VQ-BSK. A very stylish-looking B748.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/523154341104862/?fref=nf

16627247691_6d0883a9e9_b.jpg

• Advertisement

tippman1 wrote: »
    I spotted a post on Facebook that it's VQ-BSK. A very stylish-looking B748.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/523154341104862/?fref=nf

16627247691_6d0883a9e9_b.jpg

In for training tomorrow morning

In for training tomorrow morning

Any ideas how long it'll be in Shannon for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Belongs to the Qatari Royal Family apparently.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Any ideas how long it'll be in Shannon for?

I hear about 2 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

That just landed in SNN

Any idea when it is taking off again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Any idea when it is taking off again?

Every couple of minutes at the moment :pac:
    Seems to be this and a very white narrow body training this morning.

No idea when its leaving though,.

vkid wrote: »
    Every couple of minutes at the moment :pac:
    Seems to be this and a very white narrow body training this morning.

No idea when its leaving though,.

Due to leave around 1245

Saudi 747SP on the ground in SNN at the moment with a Saudi 747-300 descending for SNN also.

• Advertisement

Saudi 747SP on the ground in SNN at the moment with a Saudi 747-300 descending for SNN also.

Stupid work keeps making me miss these. Any idea on departure times?

Advertisement