Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Indicating when there's only one way you're allowed to go

• 01-09-2016 9:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭

Based on a conversation with a friend.

Your approaching a T junction which has a left turn only marking or a no right turn sign, in other words you can only legally turn left (or vice versa).

I'm curious do people indicate left or not bother because it's obviously the only way they can should go as I often see both at such locations.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Even if there's only one direction allowed, you are still obliged to indicate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Usually I would still indicate in that sort of situation. Same with being at a multi-lane junction, being in a left/right only lane.

As my Dad told me when I was learning to drive, "Always indicate, it'll cost you nothing."

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Brasso

I always indicate and it's kind of ingrained as a habit in me by now. I consider that there might be other road users like pedestrians who wouldn't pay attention to road directions such as no left/right turn and mightn't realise that all the cars are going to go a certain way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I always indicate.. even if it's late at night and there's no-one else around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd indicate. It's not just for the car behind you. There's pedestrians/cyclists, other cars etc that can't see the sign and may need to anticipate your manoeuvre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Sometimes I stick the car in reverse with the clutch down at lights just for the laughs.

The other day this very angry man had the audacity to beep and wave frantically at me and my little joke. I mean wtf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Since this is an Irish-based Motors forum, it may help to define the concept of "indicating" as it may be an entirely alien practice to most...

corglass wrote: »
    Sometimes I stick the car in reverse with the clutch down at lights just for the laughs.

The other day this very angry man had the audacity to beep and wave frantically at me and my little joke. I mean wtf?

I hope you're not actually serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

corglass wrote: »

Heh! I like your style....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Are indicators those orangie lights on the corners on cars? You know, the ones that don't seem to work on expensive cars...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

degsie wrote: »
    Are indicators those orangie lights on the corners on cars? You know, the ones that don't seem to work on expensive cars...

I call them afterthoughticators.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Joking aside, they cancel way too easily on my BMW. I'll often indicate right approaching a roundabout and find they've cancelled by the time I reach the roundabout. It's kind of annoying how sensitive they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

My dad used to say that it was so the "gob****e" pedestrian would know not to walk out in front of you.

As a driver you might know it's, for example, left turn only but a pedestrian looking at your car and not seeing a flashing indicator might decide I can cross now.

Owryan wrote: »
    My dad used to say that it was so the "gob****e" pedestrian would know not to walk out in front of you.

As a driver you might know it's, for example, left turn only but a pedestrian looking at your car and not seeing a flashing indicator might decide I can cross now.

Yes indicating provides information to other road users even if you're in a left-only lane. For one it tells other road users that you know you're in a left-only lane and are unlikely to do something weird.

Where lack of indicating really drives me nuts is waiting to enter a roundabout and the traffic to your right is not indicating its intentions. That really slows down the flow of traffic on roundabouts.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What about the drivers who indicate right when they're going straight ahead at a roundabout? That one drives me nuts.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Given the inability of many in the country to use them properly, the only thing you can definitely tell from a flashing indicator is that the bulb works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

maximum12 wrote: »

Where lack of indicating really drives me nuts is waiting to enter a roundabout and the traffic to your right is not indicating its intentions. That really slows down the flow of traffic on roundabouts.

yeah, but you should know who they are and hence where they are going.

Some years ago outside my workplace a car turned right, across 2 lanes of traffic to enter an estate. Not surprisingly she got side swiped by a car coming up behind her. She never put on her indicators and that was her excuse to the gards "everyone knows i live in that estate"

An File wrote: »
    What about the drivers who indicate right when they're going straight ahead at a roundabout? That one drives me nuts.

Yeah annoying but the worst is if you have a long line of traffic entering the roundabout on your right and cars are taking the first exit without indicating left so I miss the opportunity to filter in to the flow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Indicate if it would benefit others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

maximum12 wrote: »
    Joking aside, they cancel way too easily on my BMW. I'll often indicate right approaching a roundabout and find they've cancelled by the time I reach the roundabout. It's kind of annoying how sensitive they are.

You need to speed up, then by the time they cancel you'll be past.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

pajor wrote: »
    As my Dad told me when I was learning to drive, "Always indicate, it'll cost you nothing."

I indicate that often, I've occasionally found myself indicating around 90° bends in the road :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I indicate that often, I've occasionally found myself indicating around 90° bends in the road :o

I've done exactly that coming off the M50 Northbound (Navan rd exit) twice in the last week. When you are approaching the top of the incline, before the drop & merge with the Navan road. Ive indicated left. And promptly cursed at myself.

Indicate if it would benefit others

Without 360 degree observation it's impossible to know. Plus as pointed out pedestrians and others benefit in ways you may not contemplate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Personalty I would never indicate in this situation. If it's the only way to go then it is obvious where you are going. All you are doing is following the road. Indicators are for changing from the lane you are in. Such as pulling in , stopping, changing lanes, etc. .if I saw an indicator in this situation I would assume that the driver was going into an entrance or some other deviation from the normal road

My missus call it "an Irish right" :pac:

Have witnessed a driver when coming to a left turn indicating RIGHT to inform that he was NOT going left but straight on, wtf!

I can KINDA understand it though..

You'll see drivers at the first exit watching you and itching to go - presuming you'll take that exit rather than continue straight on, as there are many drivers who'll do just that

By indicating that you're turning right you're signalling to these that pulling out in front of you when you're just about to pass their exit is not a good idea!

It'd help if people indicated/used roundabouts properly in general though.. I find outside Dublin and particularly Cork especially bad for this!!

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    You'll see drivers at the first exit watching you and itching to go - presuming you'll take that exit rather than continue straight on, as there are many drivers who'll do just that!

So we have to adjust our habits to suit other idiot drivers?

So we have to adjust our habits to suit other idiot drivers?

I don't agree with it, I don't do it myself.. but I can kinda understand it was my point :)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

You will very often see people going straight across this junction indicating left (presumably due to the bend in the road after the junction).

*Bonus* typical Audiot parked on the path:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.2927372,-6.2292221,3a,75y,287.08h,85.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJh1eiNd7EQFpf9hCvg_8JQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Advertisement
Advertisement