Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Standard service cost....

• 01-09-2016 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

My dad took is 2011 Suzuki sx4 to a main dealer today for a standard yearly service.
    Service inc. oil/filter, new front wipers (blades only I believe - given they where working fine Ive no idea why they were changed, but thats another story)
    Nothing else was done bar a clean and a hoover.
    The cost came to 245euro, which for me is way overboard for what was done.
    They justified it by saying they take all the wheels off and check everything (big deal and why is this even necesssary during a standard service?)
    Any opinions on this? Am I right to be thinking this was a bit of a ripoff?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Bit over the top yeah, but that's the going rate at a stealers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You might get an independent place to do an oil and air filter change for €100 or so. They usually rip you off completely with the wipers, usually the cheapest rubbish money can by but charge €30 or more for them.

I really don't know why some dealers hoover and clean cars, it would enrage me if they cleaned mine and not approved it first whether it was free or not. I'd be worried they would feck up the paintwork with brutal brushes covered in grit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Was there other parts, plugs, filters etc?
    They take the wheels off to inspect the brakes. Nothing special about that though.

Main dealer is always gonna be expensive. Car is well out of warranty, maybe find a good independent mechanic?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Unless exact items and prices were agreed in advance, that will be what you will pay for a main dealer service. They have higher overheads than an indy setup, so charge accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

If they didn't change anything outside of that like pollen, air, fuel filter then that sounds expensive for what is essentially an oil and filter change with wiper blades. Even considering it's a main dealer most would charge more like €150 for a basic service and then 40-50 for wipers. That obviously varies brand to brand dealer to dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Was there other parts, plugs, filters etc?
    They take the wheels off to inspect the brakes. Nothing special about that though.

Main dealer is always gonna be expensive. Car is well out of warranty, maybe find a good independent mechanic?

No other parts.

It's a bit saucy then tbh.

Did you get an itemised invoice?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It's a bit saucy then tbh.

Did you get an itemised invoice?

I havent seen it, I'll ask the old man tomoro.
    Pissed off to be honest, he's been taken advantage of imho, as hes far too trusting and wouldnt have a great deal of knowledge of this area. Hes too nice basically.
    Kinda sick of these businesses who only think of the short term rather than really looking after a person and getting a long term customer from it.

The invoice will tell more. There may be extra stuff or expensive wipers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

You haven't seen the invoice but you know for certain it was just an oil and filter?

• Advertisement

You haven't seen the invoice but you know for certain it was just an oil and filter?

Yeah, I spoke at length to my old man about it.

€245 is mildly saucy but say 6 liters of fully synt oil @ €12.50 a liter + €12.50 for the filter + €35 for wipers + an hour @ €95 + VAT is your €245.

An hours labour is a bit strong for an oil and filter service but i'd say that's going to be your problem, .6 or .7 of an hour would have been loads and the bill would be closer to €199 which wouldn't so much as raise an eyebrow.

There's an arguement for an expanded range of inspection items on higher mileage/ older cars resulting in more service labour but it's debatable enough.

€245 is mildly saucy but say 6 liters of fully synt oil @ €12.50 a liter + €12.50 for the filter + €35 for wipers + an hour @ €95 + VAT is your €245.

An hours labour is a bit strong for an oil and filter service but i'd say that's going to be your problem, .6 or .7 of an hour would have been loads and the bill would be closer to €199 which wouldn't so much as raide an eyebrow.

Therr's an arguement for an expanded range of inspection items on higher mileage/ older cars but it's debatable enough.

He told me the oil came in at approx 40 with 130 being labour. I will try get the invoice myself tomoro.
    Dont know the wiper cost, but imho they didnt need doing anyway. I used the car to drive up and down to waterford not 2 weeks ago and they were fine.
    The car has approx 42k kms on it, its been a shopping trolley for 5 years, like new.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

....an hour @ €95 + VAT....

It's a Suzuki not a Ferrari :D €125 per hour is v. pricey.

terrydel wrote: »
    He told me the oil came in at approx 40 with 130 being labour. I will try get the invoice myself tomoro.
    Dont know the wiper cost, but imho they didnt need doing anyway. I used the car to drive up and down to waterford not 2 weeks ago and they were fine.
    The car has approx 42k kms on it, its been a shopping trolley for 5 years, like new.

130 is a lot of labour, what part of the country are you in?

Wipers are a handy seller, if they are any way streaky a main dealer will recommend replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd doubt the €130 for labour is per hour, I'd hope it's 1.5 hours minimum for a main dealer. BMW don't even charge €130 per hour.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd doubt the €130 for labour is per hour, I'd hope it's 1.5 hours minimum for a main dealer. BMW don't even charge that per hour.

Indeed. But then you'd wonder where the mechanic put in 90 minutes doing an oil and filter unless he accidentally stayed clocked on during his lunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

My cars first service was €270 as I got the pollen filters changed aswell. Definitely look at the invoice as it says exactly what has been done to the car.

Totally agree, I'd say the mechanic's tea break was paid for in that labour. I've seen some dealers charge an hourly rates only where if the job took 1.5 hours they charged 2 hours labour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Standard oil and filter for a 2014 vw golf diesel €159 in a main dealer.
    In our garage the same service using oem filter and quantum long life 5-30 is €130 which probably gives €50 profit or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

BMW don't even charge €130 per hour.

Do they not? I thought it was at least €130 incVAT.

130 is a lot of labour, what part of the country are you in?

Wipers are a handy seller, if they are any way streaky a main dealer will recommend replacement.

Dublin.

Standard oil and filter for a 2014 vw golf diesel €159 in a main dealer.
    In our garage the same service using oem filter and quantum long life 5-30 is €130 which probably gives €50 profit or so.

Where are you mate?
    I am really annoyed over this. Sick of the ripoff culture in this country.
    As originally stated, they said they put the car up on a ramp and took all the wheels off, but to me this means sod all, dont even see why it was necessary.

I will try get the invoice this evening and report back.
    Thanks for all the replies.

Dublin.

Could easily be paying €100+ labour per hour so, even for Suzuki.

As originally stated, they said they put the car up on a ramp and took all the wheels off, but to me this means sod all, dont even see why it was necessary.

Until 5 days after your service and your brakes start to grind and your pads are metal to metal and you wonder why they weren't inspected thoroughly.

Or your front tyres are shot but your rears are still 80% and you wonder why they weren't rotated during your last service.

Or you have some other dangerously defective braking/ steering/ suspension component that you are unaware of that fails just after your service. The first thing to cross most peoples mind is to pin liability on the garage who recently serviced the car, so for both your sake and theirs a comprehensive inspection is no harm at all.

Wheels off may not be 100% neccessary for this, but a detailed inspection is no harm and it does take time. 15 minutes would be plenty of time for it on top of the engine service labour.

Do they not? I thought it was at least €130 incVAT.

I paid around €165 for an oil service on my 5 Series last year at my local dealer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I paid around €165 for an oil service on my 5 Series last year at my local dealer.

Reasonable enough, VW charge €150 for the same. Presume your car was mini valeted and you stuffed yourself with pastries.

Reasonable enough, VW charge €150 for the same. Presume your car was mini valeted and you stuffed yourself with pastries.

Car was washed but no pastries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Car was washed but no pastries.

Rip off. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If I was paying somebody €100+ per hour they'd want to be doing some damn awkward screwing to justify it.

And yes, I'm taking about mechanics :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Was it a suzuki dealer? Could have been part of that service interval to check the wheels.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Was it a suzuki dealer? Could have been part of that service interval to check the wheels.

Main Suzuki dealership yes.
    Not 100% if that was part of the service interval, but I will confirm later when I see the invoice for myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Any opinions on this?
    Everyone knows main dealers are extra expensive.
    Stop using main dealers for service that a indy garage can do for half that money.
    Better yet, learn to do it yourself and save money while learning about the car.

Are those prices not fixed though? They often have fixed plans for oil services etc that may not represent actual labour time.

If you had extensive work required, like a 10-20 hour jobby, I'd be very surprised if you saw less than €150 an hour in Ireland from BMW, as it's £150+ in the UK.

Are those prices not fixed though? They often have fixed plans for oil services etc that may not represent actual labour time.

If you had extensive work required, like a 10-20 hour jobby, I'd be very surprised if you saw less than €150 an hour in Ireland from BMW, as it's £150+ in the UK.

Yes they are fixed servicing prices but I thought that was what was being discussed. If your talking about non routine work then that's a different kettle of fish. I'd imagine the hourly rate would depend on a lot of things then. A job on a 7 series might cost more per hour than say on a 1 Series as it's more complex and not everyone in the workshop might be skilled enough to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

biko wrote: »
    Everyone knows main dealers are extra expensive.
    Stop using main dealers for service that a indy garage can do for half that money.
    Better yet, learn to do it yourself and save money while learning about the car.

^^^This. I've started servicing my own car - sparks, oil change, oil filter, pollen filter. Even installed a new coolant reservoir (old one had crack in it) & drained the radiator and filled up with fresh coolant, removed any air pockets etc. Learning loads. For more serious stuff like brakes I probably get my mate (works in air corp, air craft maintenance) to show me once or twice until I am confident of doing it myself.

It's only costing me parts & my own time. I have a shelter off the main shed at home in which I can drive in and work away, day or night.

Edit. Plus I used boards.ie to ask question (even silly ones) and also look up some youtube videos. Have the car manual as from Hayes.

A job on a 7 series might cost more per hour than say on a 1 Series as it's more complex and not everyone in the workshop might be skilled enough to do it.

I'm not so sure this is true, would they not have a fixed labour rate for all cars? If anything i'd say its the independents who would charge more as per your scenario.
    I get ya though, service plans are different indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

If I was paying somebody €100+ per hour they'd want to be doing some damn awkward screwing to justify it.

And yes, I'm taking about mechanics :p

I am not having a go you....just using this as an example....

Go to a dentist or a G.P. Have an appointment for 4pm, maybe not get called in until 4.50pm, say nothing to anyone, have to ring someone to pick up the kids because the doctor is running behind (same last time you were in), have a 5 min consultation with the doctor, be charged €XX or even €XXX for the their time,(add the X's over an hour ) say nothing about the price just hand it over, go to the pharmacy and be charged all those X's again and say nothing, just hand it over ....

Anyone see my point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

clogher71 wrote: »

Go to a dentist or a G.P. Have an appointment for 4pm, maybe not get called in until 4.50pm, say nothing to anyone, have to ring someone to pick up the kids because the doctor is running behind (same last time you were in), have a 5 min consultation with the doctor, be charged €XX or even €XXX for the their time,(add the X's over an hour ) say nothing about the price just hand it over, go to the pharmacy and be charged all those X's again and say nothing, just hand it over ....

Anyone see my point?

Take better care of your teeth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭jhud

I have Toyota corolla and oil 5 liter with filter and full front wipers from main dealer would be €77 labour could be 30 to 70 depending

• Advertisement

laoisfan wrote: »
    Take better care of your teeth?

Haha....more the doctor I had in mind....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Casati

Anyone see my point?

You think the average mechanic salary is on par with that of a GP at a time with massive doctor shortages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Anyone see my point?

Many years ago, a plumber was called out on a cold winter's night to fix a boiler in a factory. He walks in the front door, straight up to a pipe on the wall, hits it with a hammer and walks back out the door again, boiler fixed.

The factory owner met him in the pub that night and asked him how much he had to get, the plumber says ah sure IR£105 will do you. A wee bit shocked the owner asks how he arrives at that figure. 'Well', says the plumber, 'it's a fiver for the wallop of the hammer, and a ton for knowing where to do the walloping.'

Anyone see my point?

Casati wrote: »
    You think the average mechanic salary is on par with that of a GP at a time with massive doctor shortages?

Of course I don't , but everyone seems to be bashing the dealers but a doctor can charge €10 a minute and it's never a problem . Can you imagine some one standing at a service counter in a garage and just waiting even 30 mins just to get to see a service person....there would be uproar about having to que and the lack of service ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Anyone see my point?

Whatever you say, say nothing.

Not your ornery onager

Ok....I will bow out of this one.....

Got the invoice tonight, it reads as follows -

(ex vat)
    Labour - 130
    Wiper blade 45 MM Qty - 1 - 16.86
    Wiper blade SX Qty - 1 - 10.93
    Oil Filter - 10.93
    Sump Washer - 1.80
    F/Synth Oil - 5 ltrs - 39.50
    Sundries - 10

Total (inc vat) 245.04

The labour is a marginally saucey alright but that's it. €10 for sundries is a bit extreme too imo but it's hardly making or breaking the bill.

If they had have went €100 on the labour and the bill was €199 ish, i'l bet you wouldn't have batted an eyelid?

What is the labour quantity defined as? 1.0, 1.3, 0.8 etc? Is it a multi franchise dealer?

The labour is a marginally saucey alright but that's it. €10 for sundries is a bit extreme too imo but it's hardly making or breaking the bill.

If they had have went €100 on the labour and the bill was €199 ish, i'l bet you wouldn't have batted an eyelid?

What is the labour quantity defined as? 1.0, 1.3, 0.8 etc? Is it a multi franchise dealer?

200 I'd have accepted, it was the far side of what I told my old man (150-200 is what to expect).
    Nothing mentioned re. the labour time, just 130euro.

Suzuki only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Much Ado about nothing.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement