Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arse...

Options
  • 01-09-2016 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

The wife has stolen my 'mountain bike' to which I had fitted a comparatively comfortable saddle. I've been left with a road bike (racer - I have no idea of the terminology) and for some reason passing my own understanding have an aesthetic aversion to plonking a butcher's boy's saddle on it.

Could someone point me in the direction of something that is both cheap and comfortable but doesn't look like I've completely lost the plot.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Charge spoon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

CramCycle wrote: »
    Charge spoon

I 2nd the Charge Spoon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

3rd it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭boomdocker

4th it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭jamesd

Brooks b 17

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

jamesd wrote: »
    Brooks b 17

Not cheap nor nice on a roadbike

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Brooks b 17

Lovely on a road bike, lovely on your arse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

Thanks for the suggestions folks, much obliged! I'm afraid the B17 is a bit out of my price range!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Prologo Kappa PAS is a very comfortable saddle and reasonably priced too.

The charge spoon is very much in the price range I'm after. It does look a bit like it won't be particularly comfortable though. I'm on the larger side, although I'm told my derrière is that of a much smaller and sexier man! At 17 stone and change (6'2) should I get over my aesthetic protestations, at least until the cycling has had it's desired effect on my rather generous beer belly?

• Advertisement

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Agreed but not on your pocket
    The charge spoon is very much in the price range I'm after. It does look a bit like it won't be particularly comfortable though. I'm on the larger side, although I'm told my derrière is that of a much smaller and sexier man! At 17 stone and change (6'2) should I get over my aesthetic protestations, at least until the cycling has had it's desired effect on my rather generous beer belly?

I presume from your OP that you have never used a road bike saddle before? Contrary to what intuition says, padding is not what you want on a road bike saddle. What you want is for it to fit your sit bones and for it to be fitted correctly eg level and far enough forward/backward to suit how you sit on the bike.

I got my charge spoon with a bike, had a much more expensive saddle before that, I don't think I would go back. It and brooks are my two choices for comfort (although I have a fizik racing saddle that is also nice).

Saddles are like people, you will have your favorites for various reasons. The Charge is the best value saddle you will get that is actually of good quality (in my opinion).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

O.P.
    For the money, there really is nothing to beat the Charge Spoon.
    If it doesn't suit, you're not down that much money.
    I am about your height and was heavier than you. I have never felt the need for much padding on my saddles.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Saddle preference can vary a lot with individuals. I found a charge spoon very uncomfortable, horses for courses.
    But starting out, a certain amount of acclimatising is needed, even with a well fitting saddle.
    One friend of mine really took to cycling initially - cycled every day despite developing discomfort. Ended up with bad saddle sore, few weeks off the bike, and never went back to it.
    Take some time to 'break in' the nether regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

I find road bike saddle comfort can also depend on your position on the bike, my fizik became much more comfortable when I started dropping my position lower and bending my elbows. Now it feels wierd and uncomfortable to sit up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Charge Knife

;)

Less padding to rub.

saccades wrote: »
    Charge Knife

;)

Less padding to rub.

Ouch! That's a rather unfortunate name for something that's coming in contact with a sensitive area! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Ouch! That's a rather unfortunate name for something that's coming in contact with a sensitive area! :pac:

But it's cheap! In fact, it's a snip!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Chammy cream

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

seanin4711 wrote: »
    Chammy cream

Interesting way to spell shammy/chamois.

Anyway, chamois cream is to prevent chaffing.

OP. I'm also a large gentleman. I have an expensive saddle and a cheap saddle, both of which are perfectly comfortable . The reason they are comfortable is because I have a bike fit done and the bike fits perfectly. This is far more important than saddle type.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

And will outlive most bikes too. Lovely saddle.

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »

OP. I'm also a large gentleman. I have an expensive saddle and a cheap saddle, both of which are perfectly comfortable . The reason they are comfortable is because I have a bike fit done and the bike fits perfectly. This is far more important than saddle type.

Saddle fit is also important. Price is really a bad measure of the suitability of a saddle to a person. Width and properly adjusted (part of your bike fit) are more important than the price of the saddle.

It also depends on distance and use. My daughters bike is perfectly comfy for a 5 minute spin to the shop but would not be for an hour spin. This said it would be better for off roading than my road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Saddle fit,good bibs and chammy cream for long spins over 3 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭secman

DRINK....FECK......ARSE.....

:)

I think any creams might be a little out of my league :pac: I'm just using an old road bike to get to work. Thanks though!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

+1, B17 all the way for me on the road bike, and Brooks Flyer on the hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭boardbeer

Brooks b 17
    Just got me one. I didn't realize a saddle could be that comfortable.

Advertisement