Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting Room- Bed is a sofa bed

Options
  • 02-09-2016 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I began renting a room in an owner occupied house as a student. The room that I have has a couch bed as the bed. it is pretty sturdy and was there when i viewed the house. I did notice it straight away when I entered the room and thought that a bit odd but thought it can't be that uncomfortable.

Oh was I wrong, it awful uncomfortable to the point that i find it difficult getting to sleep and I would tend to toss around a little bit and I've bumped my head on the couch arm so many times and few times it has woken me up.

Now the owner is lovely and I'm not one to be fussy or anything like that. Would I be out of order is asking if it would possible that it be changed? I suffer from back problems so the last thing I need is to be sleeping in an uncomfortable bed

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Post edited by L1011 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Do mention it. It's possible the owner thought you'd be fine with it, and in good faith, so did you. Until you mention it, nothing can be done anyway. Tell them you gave it your best shot but it's clearly not working for you. Be prepared to negotiate or even to bear some of the cost if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

I can empatize with you. Many years ago I was in a similiar quandary. Long story short buy a new or second hand mattress and place it on top of the sofa bed. Sofa beds are usually quiet low and springs sticking up or support bands broken.

Alternatively as the owner occupier may not be too pleased with you looking for a replacement bed. You'll need to feign extreme distress in your sleeping arrangements. Aches, pains and a general stoop early morning with subtle hints as to the sofabed being the culprit should garner some sympathy. Namedrop doctors orders or anything that you might think might plant the seed of replacing the contraption you're forced to sleep on in the box room.

Buying yourself a mattress is your best bet in hindsight. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

You'd want to be paying pretty low rent for such an arrangement. What were you thinking.

Speak to the landlord/home owner. And don't buy a mattress yourself. You need a new bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

If you suffer from back problems why on earth did you agree to rent a room that has a sofa bed?

A sofa bed is meant to be used as a temporary bed, a couple of night with guests etc... Its not for use every single night as your only bed.

Request a bed - you are entitled to one if you are renting a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭_kookie

Ask the landlord if they will replace it with a proper bed.
    Best to buy your own mattress though.
    Whatever the landlord gives you will be the cheapest mattress they can get. At least if you buy it yourself you can get a nice one and can take it with you.
    You spend a third of your life on it, so investing is a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

If you suffer from back problems why on earth did you agree to rent a room that has a sofa bed?

A sofa bed is meant to be used as a temporary bed, a couple of night with guests etc... Its not for use every single night as your only bed.

It's student accomodation and I got in touch with about 40 places and this one was the only one to get back to me so it was a case of desperate time.

I thought it would be OK as it seemed to be the sofa bed frame and a proper mattress but I quickly realised that ain't the case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

He is not a tenant, a licensee so he is not entitled to anything. If you have back problems only you know the type of mattress that is best for you so i suggest you buy one.

The house owner could easily just say no and ask them to move out instantly. For their own sake the op needs so be very careful how they approach this especially if it's difficult to find an alternative place to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Presumably the sofa bed can fold away to sofa size... So there is possibly space to fold up sofa and put in at least a single proper bed. €150 gets you a complete bed in places like mattress mick or bargaintown.

If it was me, I'd keep it relaxed with the owner. Just say "hey, I'm thinking I'll need to put a proper bed in there. The sofa bed is fine for a couple of nights but it's starting to get to my back. Just wanted to discuss it ahead of time with you, I was thinking I could buy a bed myself and bring it home with me at the end of the year, but if you were ultimately thinking of putting a bed in that room anyway it wouldn't make sense to do that so just wanted to give you a heads up and see where you stand with that."

No obligations on anyone, and any owner would probably be happy enough to let someone put a bed in for themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jambooner

How did you get on? Everyone saying you're entitled to a bed obviously never rented a room. Rooms come furnished or unfurnished you saw the room and we're happy with it so it was on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

It was 7 years ago !!

the same sofa bed probably has 14 undocumented asylum seekers happily sleeping on it

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Don't bounce 7 year old threads with irrelevance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement