Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why Oman?

• 02-09-2016 7:21am

I know it's been asked on the Irish football thread, but is it not time hard questions were asked of the FAI by all Irish football supporters?

Why Oman? Again and again and again. Yes, I appreciate that Oman may make some official payment, but it couldn't be worth more than seeing a full Aviva for Robbie Keanes last game, in finances or in PR.

In the same way as people asked of Delaney's friend Pat Hickey, why the determination to bring the European Games to the notoriously corrupt Azerbaijan, is it not time the FAI faced some questions to find the reason behind the love in with Oman? Why is a country coming off the European Championships stuck in a waste of time fixture like this? Why does Robbie Keane have to take the applause of a half empty stadium?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I know it's been asked on the Irish football thread, but is it not time hard questions were asked of the FAI by all Irish football supporters?

Why Oman? Again and again and again. Yes, I appreciate that Oman may make some official payment, but it couldn't be worth more than seeing a full Aviva for Robbie Keanes last game, in finances or in PR.

In the same way as people asked of Delaney's friend Pat Hickey, why the determination to bring the European Games to the notoriously corrupt Azerbaijan, is it not time the FAI faced some questions to find the reason behind the love in with Oman? Why is a country coming off the European Championships stuck in a waste of time fixture like this? Why does Robbie Keane have to take the applause of a half empty stadium?

Well to Oman game was scheduled long before Robbie Keane announced his retirement.

And as for a half empty stadium ?
    Ask the best fans in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Questions should be asked.

The reply will be "cease and desist" and delivered by JD's lawyers.

Questions should be asked.

The reply will be "cease and desist" and delivered by JD's lawyers.

It is perfectly legitimate to ask why.

Because on the face of it, it merits questioning.

And if there is a perfectly good reason, the FAI would be happy to give it.

Of course, what we cannot do is imply there is anything dodgy about it. That would be potentially defamatory.

But the FAI should clarify why they plump for such an utterly BS fixture again and again and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Why is a country coming off the European Championships stuck in a waste of time fixture like this?

Didn't the European Champions play Gibraltar in a friendly last night?

Well to Oman game was scheduled long before Robbie Keane announced his retirement.

And as for a half empty stadium ?
    Ask the best fans in the world.

Actually, the FAI was lucky with the Robbie timing.

Think the attendance the last night was about 27k.

Without Keane, it would be less than half that.

As for the best fans in the world, I suspect no country would come close to selling out a midweek fixture against Oman. It is a nonsense game.

• Advertisement

kfallon wrote: »
    Didn't the European Champions play Gibraltar in a friendly last night?

2 countries from the Iberian Peninsula playing is more rational than us meeting the most corrupt Arab nation for the 3rd time in 4 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Does anyone really give a sh1te who Ireland played.It was a mickey mouse friendly match and the purpose was not get any injuries in the game ahead of the proper match against Serbia.

I'm sure countries do deals all the time wher they agree to play a few friendlies against each other , this is obviously what has happened here.

It's good we played them because it allowed Robbie Keane to score a goal which is obviously what he wanted to do in his last match rather than looking out of his depth against a quality team in his last game.

Does anyone really give a sh1te who Ireland played.It was a mickey mouse friendly match and the purpose was not get any injuries in the game ahead of the proper match against Serbia.

I'm sure countries do deals all the time wher they agree to play a few friendlies against each other , this is obviously what has happened here...

Oh I agree to a certain extent.

But when it's the same country 3 times in 4 years I'd love to know the full extent of the deal. And when that country pulled in 13/14k in a friendly last time and provides no test at all, you'd think they'd go the other way and axe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Is there something wrong (legally) with playing the team who pays the most money ? Not sure there is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

2 countries from the Iberian Peninsula playing is more rational than us meeting the most corrupt Arab nation for the 3rd time in 4 years.
    I remember Spain playing Equatorial Guinea a couple of years ago and nobody blinked an eyelid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Could think of it like other European nations who play weaker countries to build up their FIFA rankings for seedings

By that logic we should start lining up friendlies with the likes of the Isle of Man or Jersey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Why this thread? ;)

I'd say Oman were the only team available for that date at a guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'm all for asking the hard questions, but I'm not even sure what OP even wants to happen.

Does he want Shane Ross to investigate or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Is there something wrong (legally) with playing the team who pays the most money ? Not sure there is.

Depends who the money is being paid to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Could think of it like other European nations who play weaker countries to build up their FIFA rankings for seedings

I think such a game might marginally be negative for FIFA rankings.
    You get few ranking points for winning a friendly against lowly opposition, but its an extra game played which reduces your ranking ppg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I think such a game might marginally be negative for FIFA rankings.
    You get few ranking points for winning a friendly against lowly opposition, but its an extra game played which reduces your ranking ppg.

Worth noting that Oman are only 82 in the rankings. Not that low relatively speaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Sure they were already in Ireland testing themselves against Unbeaten Superblues Limerick FC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

If Microprose International Soccer on the commodore 64 taught me anything it's that when you lose a match as we did against France, then you go back to the start and play Oman again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Debil

I'm sure North Korea and Saudi Arabia pay top dollar too. Why not play them? Maybe a mini tournament?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Quick question to the OP; instead of complaining on here about it, have you contacted the FAI and asked them why? And if you have, what did that glorious body have to say about it? I'd actually like to hear their reasoning behind the choice of opponent as well, though I could hazard a gue$$!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

osarusan wrote: »
    Sure they were already in Ireland testing themselves against Unbeaten Superblues Limerick FC.

Should have beaten them that night, robbed that night for a stonewall penalty with a few minutes remaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

We played them as well. A second string Cork City side and Oman could only manage a 1-1 draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

That_Guy wrote: »
    Why this thread? ;)

I'd say Oman were the only team available for that date at a guess.

Maybe we could have played Portugal. And Gibraltar could have played Oman. It would have been more appropriate for their standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

blueser wrote: »
    Quick question to the OP; instead of complaining on here about it, have you contacted the FAI and asked them why? And if you have, what did that glorious body have to say about it? I'd actually like to hear their reasoning behind the choice of opponent as well, though I could hazard a gue$$!

One does not ask questions of the FAI.
    You can forward your question in advance of next years AGM for vetting and they will throw it in the fire with the rest of the questions ,Dear Leader wont answer.

Advertisement