Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling health insurance

• 02-09-2016 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

hi all. a person is asked to contact Aviva health Ireland in order to cancel premium. I say there's no need to do that as all payments are applied through direct debit .therefore, all one has to do to cancel the debit. ciao for now Kevin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭kirving

Hi,

Not the best way to be dealing with insurance companies if you want to be a customer again though.

One of the questions they generally ask is "Have you ever had insurance cancelled?", as opposed to "Have you ever cancelled insurance?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

hi all. a person is asked to contact Aviva health Ireland in order to cancel premium. I say there's no need to do that as all payments are applied through direct debit .therefore, all one has to do to cancel the debit. ciao for now Kevin.

Not so fantastic, you would be wrong, stopping DD does not cancel cover, you at still charged for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭fantastic98

Hi,

Not the best way to be dealing with insurance companies if you want to be a customer again though.

One of the questions they generally ask is "Have you ever had insurance cancelled?", as opposed to "Have you ever cancelled insurance?"
    hi Kevin. I will phone them but I haven't got any intention of returning to them anytime soon. cheers Kevin,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

What exactly is this? For a start, you're wrong. It will be cancelled on you, it's different than you cancelling it. It's a 2 second phone call, or even write a quick letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Worst idea ever. I really hope no one takes this advice.

Make the call. Cancel properly. Save yourself a load of hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭BazzaDP

Cancelling the DD just cancels the DD. It doesn't cancel the contract you have with the the health insurer. They will just chase you for the money. Same as if you bounce a cheque.

Technically they could follow legal route to get you to pay, but in most cases it's not worth their effort and they will give up chasing. So in that sense it could be argued that cancelling the DD and then ignoring their letters and calls will likely eventually cancel the contract but is that really worth the hassle?

Seriously just phone them, tell them you want to cancel, and if you are mid contract and they won't let you cancel, then discuss options with them before going down this route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

hi Kevin. I will phone them but I haven't got any intention of returning to them anytime soon. cheers Kevin,

Or ANY other Health Insurance company, EVER ???

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭fantastic98

Or ANY other Health Insurance company, EVER ???

I've kept my insurance. can't live without it!

Advertisement