Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Lost Sheep National Champs

Options
  • 02-09-2016 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

National middle distance champs on this weekend.

Many from here racing?

What are peoples thoughts on top 5?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Hard to see beyond BMC in the mens race. Is there a start list for both races?

Any chance of Bryan Keane racing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Was in but not racing early off season for early on season for me.

1 - McCrystal
    2 - Mariusz
    3 - Maltha/Geraghty/Martin/Kenny
    4 - Maltha/Geraghty/Martin/Kenny
    5 - Callaghan also close

Serious fight for podium slots I'd say as very competitive between 4 I reckon.

Fastest swim = Callaghan
    Fastest Bike = McCrystal (shocker)
    Fastest Run = Mariusz

Women's- good to see Katie Cooke back at it after new family addition so I'm sure she will be strong at her home race.

1 - Flynn
    2 - Cooke
    3 - Foley
    4 - Donegan
    5 - Maxantova

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Heading down for my first visit. Got an email yesterday about high winds and no discs. Hope the storm keeps away at least.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

had an entry but sold it to a clubmate, was going to be an easy end of season run out for fun but decided i'd enjoy the couch better after Copenhagen, first time in 3 years not doing it, pretty sorry to be missing it now, neck and neck with kilkee for best race in the country IMHO.

TBH i don't think there is much to be gained with a disc, looked too windy for a disc last year but a couple still ran them, i struggle to see where you would make up the time with them.

hopefully they have the descent from caha resurfaced now, were in the middle of it last year and it was a scary section of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

"was going to be an easy end of season run out" :D

• Advertisement

"was going to be an easy end of season run out" :D

3+ hour bike, 2+ hour jog around. i wasn't going to do anything that would even have come close to being called racing it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Heading down to cycle the course and go for a few pints. Looking forward to it, even if I am sharing a room with Zico. :D;):eek::p

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Fazz wrote: »

1 - McCrystal
    2 - Mariusz
    5 - Callaghan also close

Fastest swim = Callaghan
    Fastest Run = Mariusz

Women's- good to see Katie Cooke back at it after new family addition so I'm sure she will be strong at her home race.

1 - Flynn
    2 - Cooke
    3 - Foley
    4 - Donegan
    5 - Maxantova

Think Mariusz will get a lot closer to Mcrystal this year.

Has some very good training under his belt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

BTH wrote: »
    Heading down to cycle the course and go for a few pints. Looking forward to it, even if I am sharing a room with Zico. :D;):eek::p

It's just a house, you're not that lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

1 - McCrystal
    2 - Mariusz
    5 - Callaghan also close

Fastest swim = Callaghan
    Fastest Run = Mariusz

1 - Flynn
    2 - Cooke
    3 - Foley
    4 - Donegan
    5 - Maxantova

I think the men's podium could end up being a repeat of last year. Owen seems to be in great bike and run shape - mariusz would need to do an outstanding run to beat him into 2ND I imagine.

• Advertisement

Possible spanner in the works. Richie Nicholls is racing

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭noc231073

Was planning on doing this but a fall of the bike last week settled that ...

Weather might put a spanner in the works for a few .. It looks terrible even got a warning email from the organisers to avoid using deep rim wheels .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Just watching TI coverage on facebook.

BMC looks to have had an issue on the bike. Hopefully nothing serious he was leading at 35km mark

Off the bike 1st man Aidan Callaghan with 2:30 gap to Charles Malta, 3rd Stephen Donnelly, 4th Marius Olenjizck, 5th Trevor Woods, 6th Kevin Keane, 7th Richie Nichols.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Just watching TI coverage on facebook.

BMC looks to have had an issue on the bike. Hopefully nothing serious he was leading at 35km mark

Off the bike 1st man Aidan Callaghan with 2:30 gap to Charles Malta, 3rd Stephen Donnelly, 4th Marius Olenjizck, 5th Trevor Woods, 6th Kevin Keane, 7th Richie Nichols.

Did BMC just have a mechanical or an off??

noc231073 wrote: »
    Did BMC just have a mechanical or an off??

Crashed off the bike and broke rear hanger couldn't continue. #

Scrapes and bruises but nothing serious. He was lucky with Kona only around the corner. I think I'd have taken a pass on those conditions. :eek:

An interview with him on FB

https://www.facebook.com/triathlonireland/?fref=ts

He seems to be looking at the positives. 5th out of the water :D

looking at the conditions my sadness at missing it is diminished, last two years i did it the weather was perfect

Had an entry too maybe blessing in disguise I couldn't make it . Conditions just didn't look good for fast decents..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

1 - McCrystal
    2 - Mariusz
    5 - Callaghan also close

I'm flattered you'd think I had a chance of placing so highly, but I got a sinking feeling in my stomach when I saw this edit. Even on a dry day, I'd have my work cut out to get into the top 5 in Kenmare. Today was a horrible day to be racing and I never had a hope. I was with Geraghty at the top of the Healy Pass, but he put 5 minutes into me from there. I finished 11th in the end and while it would have been nice to get into the top 10, once I saw the conditions, my only goal was not to fall off the bike. Conditions were the same for everybody I know and I was well bet my much more technically gifted cyclists. I've no quibbles at all about my finishing position. It was all I was good enough for on the day. Like a lot of people, I was very, very cautious on the descents and even without hearing about McCrystal, I was delighted to finish the cycle in one piece. There's bigger fish for me to fry in three weeks and hopefully the conditions will be much better when I'm next racing in Kenmare.

lad i sold my entry to didn't even race.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Crashed off the bike and broke rear hanger couldn't continue. #

Scrapes and bruises but nothing serious. He was lucky with Kona only around the corner. I think I'd have taken a pass on those conditions. :eek:

An interview with him on FB

https://www.facebook.com/triathlonireland/?fref=ts

He seems to be looking at the positives. 5th out of the water :D

Looks like a cracked frame too. He just posted a video on Facebook. The fuel box cracked the top tube.

• Advertisement

Looks like a cracked frame too. He just posted a video on Facebook. The fuel box cracked the top tube.

He has plenty of sponsors surely one of them could fix him up with a frame. I was only thinking last night has his relationship with wheelworx ended now he's onboard with swim bike run in Derry?

Unfortunate either way that frame must be worth 3-4k

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭splanagan22

Anyone know what happened in the women's race. Heather Foley was interviewed on the line as the winner but now is down as a DQ

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Anyone know what happened in the women's race. Heather Foley was interviewed on the line as the winner but now is down as a DQ

I heard from a TI official today it was due to outside help pacing on the run and help with nutrition etc.

He was on duty so can only assume its true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Her OH was cycling alongside her on the run apparently. It was deemed as outside interference. Doesn't look like she needed it by the looks of things which is a shame.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

He has plenty of sponsors surely one of them could fix him up with a frame. I was only thinking last night has his relationship with wheelworx ended now he's onboard with swim bike run in Derry?

Unfortunate either way that frame must be worth 3-4k

He's still mentioning ASEA on this facebook page 2 days ago - is the team up with SBR for the coaching he's doing maybe

He's still mentioning ASEA on this facebook page 2 days ago - is the team up with SBR for the coaching he's doing maybe

I was thinking that might be it alright but a tad close to his other sponsors I'd have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

First time doing the race and can see why it won race of the year last year. Goody bag was amazing, put most other races to shame of what you get versus entry fee. Was having a great swim only to realise it was the current, was some work getting back in! Never cycled or drove the bike course before so wasnt too sure what to expect. Everyone warned me not to attack it too hard or you will pay for it. All was ok until coming off healy, that wind and rain caused a good few oh jesus moments. Belting down Caha was some rush but again with a few oh jesus moments. Was happy with a 2:40 bike as didnt push it too hard. Would love to do the course on a dry day with no wind. Then the run, that was cruel and energy sapping, it brought me to a walk at one stage, never walked in a race before. Body is fine today which I guess is a sign I didnt push too hard. I was buckled after IM dublin 3 weeks ago but I did push hard there. Only negative for me in the whole race was they ran out of coke in the final aid stations, was soo looking forward to that but hey thats something small, they got 99.99% of the rest right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

viperlogic wrote: »
    Was having a great swim only to realise it was the current, was some work getting back in!

Was in the same boat. Thought I was flying until I realised what was going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

EC1000 wrote: »
    Was in the same boat. Thought I was flying until I realised what was going on!

talking to the marshalls afterwards they said you cant really see the movement of water from the pier but from the road on the other side you can really see how fast it is actually moving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Her OH was cycling alongside her on the run apparently. It was deemed as outside interference. Doesn't look like she needed it by the looks of things which is a shame.

TI review has re-instated her, with a 4 min time penalty instead...

https://www.triathlonireland.com/News/2016/Triathlon-Ireland-Reasoned-Decision-on-Heather-Foley%E2%80%99s-Appeal-to-Lost-Sheep-Disqualification.html

Advertisement