Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Lost Sheep National Champs

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

ridiculous situation to be fair. shame a NC race has this happen, but a long as the final position reflects the rules then at least right has been done

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

Ridiculous alright. It is downright cheating and she knows it.
    Not the first year that something like this has happened, should have been stamped out. Appropriate penalties should have been known by TI official. This was a National Championship race!
    Heather proved she is a talented athlete and her star won't shine as brightly now for that act.
    I feel sorry for the other podium girls (Flynn and Wolfe) who raced honestly and are great athletes. Less so for CNM after the same thing happened in Caroline Kearney last month.

Cat 1's - you should know better, you are meant to be the elite of our sport - set a better example.

TI haven't covered themselves in glory in how they handles this either.

I'm guessing this is having a subtle dig.

https://twitter.com/Ailsflynn/status/773772183449534464

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

I have read through the ITU rules further and in fairness to the TI official it is not clear.

I also wonder however did TI when seeking clarity on the ruling about outside assistance mention that it was a Middle Distance Race? This was an important point as in addition to rule 6.1.a.vii the ITU rules single out in Middle Distance further in Rule 15:

15. MIDDLE AND LONG DISTANCE EVENTS:
    15.1. Outside Assistance:
    a.) Medical assistance and food and liquid are permitted at LOC aid stations or at coaches’
    stations. All other outside assistance is prohibited.

Lastly they could have left the result stand under 5. Disqualification:
    a.) General:
    (i) A disqualification is a penalty appropriate for severe rule violations, such as but not limited to, repeated bike draft infringements, and/or dangerous or unsportsmanlike conduct;

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

cart man wrote: »
    I have read through the ITU rules further and in fairness to the TI official it is not clear.

I also wonder however did TI when seeking clarity on the ruling about outside assistance mention that it was a Middle Distance Race? This was an important point as in addition to rule 6.1.a.vii the ITU rules single out in Middle Distance further in Rule 15:

15. MIDDLE AND LONG DISTANCE EVENTS:
    15.1. Outside Assistance:
    a.) Medical assistance and food and liquid are permitted at LOC aid stations or at coaches’
    stations. All other outside assistance is prohibited.

Lastly they could have left the result stand under 5. Disqualification:
    a.) General:
    (i) A disqualification is a penalty appropriate for severe rule violations, such as but not limited to, repeated bike draft infringements, and/or dangerous or unsportsmanlike conduct;

Get off your high horse :) You prob don't own a hr monitor or power meter . 4 mins penalty is plenty. The girl is an ox and but for her weaker swim she would dominate short course cat 1 racing. Glad she moved up distance and now getting just rewards. Pity it was handled so badly by TI down there. A shallow victory in end ...no standing on podium or buzzing after her win. ... The refs fooked this up end of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

cart man wrote: »
    Ridiculous alright. It is downright cheating and she knows it.
    Not the first year that something like this has happened, should have been stamped out. Appropriate penalties should have been known by TI official. This was a National Championship race!
    Heather proved she is a talented athlete and her star won't shine as brightly now for that act.
    I feel sorry for the other podium girls (Flynn and Wolfe) who raced honestly and are great athletes. Less so for CNM after the same thing happened in Caroline Kearney last month.

Cat 1's - you should know better, you are meant to be the elite of our sport - set a better example.

TI haven't covered themselves in glory in how they handles this either.

What happened at CK last month?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lizardwings

Her husband cycled with her for 10k of a 20k route. Any athlete knows that you run faster with moral support. not to mention the fact that he was carrying her gels and giving her splits of the other runners. I talked to three people who also saw him driving the cycle route and collecting splits of other cyclists. The Official gave her a DQ which is what it says to do in ITU rulebook. The jury upheld this decision and still TI reduced it to a 4 minute penalty so she still wins. WOW This is outragious. CHEATING is CHEATING next they will be pacing the swim on jetskis. Over a mid distance race 4 minutes is nothing......SHAME on you and Shame on TI for backing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

pgibbo wrote: »
    What happened at CK last month?

I believe here was a similar incident with Caoimhe ní muirichiú (?sp)

There was also a guy with no race number or belt pacing and giving a draft piggyback to someone in front of me for a few km on the bike. The other guy had removed his race belt so he couldn't be identified. I lost it at them

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rosie_c

I was asked by a TI official why my 'coach' was calling out my heart rate to me when I passed him on the run route, where he was standing supporting me and other athletes.

I wasn't wearing a heart rate monitor. Never wear one, or a watch.

Another competitor reported that I was being coached. That's the sad part.

I raced Lost Sheep, never saw the alleged accompaniment and there is a long out and back section.

People shouldn't be making stuff up on forums -especially when you don't have facts. Lots of lies were told down at Lost Sheep. Don't believe everything you hear.

MOD NOTE:
    i've deleted a few posts, i'm not getting into the pedantics of the word fook but it's one thing to use it say other people messed up, it's another to tell a user on here where to go. any more personal insults and there will be bans

lizardwings, re-regs to post so no-one knows who you are is not allowed. if you are a new member then fine, no problem, but if it turns out it's a second account i will ban both accounts.

feel free to PM me or the other mods if you want to discuss, no in thread replies on this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 tjmahoney

Rosie_C by 'long' do you mean ~8K which is only about a third of the course and which has no real long stretches that one can see ahead. So what makes your account definitive? There where pictures, a Garda witness statement, the lead out bike that was with her for the whole course not just the out and back and they acknowledged he was on the course.

Those ARE facts.
    rosie_c wrote: »
    I was asked by a TI official why my 'coach' was calling out my heart rate to me when I passed him on the run route, where he was standing supporting me and other athletes.

I wasn't wearing a heart rate monitor. Never wear one, or a watch.

Another competitor reported that I was being coached. That's the sad part.

I raced Lost Sheep, never saw the alleged accompaniment and there is a long out and back section.

People shouldn't be making stuff up on forums -especially when you don't have facts. Lots of lies were told down at Lost Sheep. Don't believe everything you hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

Why wasn't the athlete and the other half warned of their conduct on the bike or for the infringement of accompaniment? I know a warning is the first stage of the penalty process, followed by a time penalty and finally for repeated infringements if they ignore a referee or officials instructions a DQ. Therefore I suspect they never received same.

I think HF is the only female athlete that has participated in all the national titles this year. I think she won the Middle, Duathlon and was either was 2nd or 3rd in the Sprint and Olympic races. I think she pretty much has won most of the super series races as well. That's a pretty consistent record. She has also represented Ireland in her younger years.

It seems like their is no question or denying that there was rules broken and the penalty was given but I cant understand why it wasn't dealt with on the course by a warning or a stop and go penalty. It sounds like a lot of pressure on the TI officials shoulders after the race

Its a very hard call for a referee to make on the day and I suppose its down to the way you interpret and read the competition rules.

I know one thing for certain if I was a betting man and the race was run again based on this season form I would be putting my money on HF. She won by six minutes, received a 4 minute penalty and still won. In my opinion she ran quite poorly and I suspect she could have won by a bigger margin if she really wanted

Advertisement