Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taken off my bike by swinging car door, advice sought!

Options
  • 02-09-2016 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi all, first time posting (long time admirer :o)
    Was cycling home from work yesterday along Bride St in Dublin, traffic was at standstill but cycle lane clear. I made my way along at about 10-15kmph when a car door swung open right in front of me and I ploughed straight into it headfirst. I didnt have time to brake so I bounced off the door with my helmet and ended up half lying inside the car on passengers lap in shock.
    Nice passing lady and girlfriend cycling behind me helped me up and passenger, who was blind drunk/off his head (at 6pm) stumbled out, mumbled something about not seeing me and then fecked off down the street.

Driver was his (now ex) girlfriend, she was upset and asked me to go Gardai with her and we both gave statements. I felt physically ok but my lovely year old bike is wrecked and my phone screen smashed. For what its worth I also crumpled her car door. Woke up today with some painful bruising on my arm which is annoying because I also row and climb weekly.

Ive never dealt with insurance claims before but I need my bike fixed soon as I use it for everything. Should I wait until I hear back with inurance details from the Gards or proceed getting my bike into workshop asap? Im also wondering should I see a GP in case the bruising gets worse? It took place directly outside Iveagh Baths, should I ask for CCTV of the incident?
    Might frame my helmet, without a doubt its the only reason I dont have concussion :)
    Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Definitely get yourself checked. Probably ok but if its not and you've a longer term issue you need that medically documented.

Her insurance shouldn't contest it as she's responsible for her passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

10 to 15 km per hour. Ya right.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi op it can take a few days to really see or feel some issues.

Hopefully you will be fine in a few days.

Make sure to contact her insurance and if any problems with them you may have to consider a Solicitor if you are looking for one I can pm you a good one.

You should be sorted out for the damage to your bike and phone no hassle.

Good there were people around to help also.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Go to your GP asap. Just to get a check of everything, and even a report of injuries. Don't be afraid to contact a solicitor about this too, as you may need to be careful when dealing directly with their insurance.

I wouldn't be afraid to go and get the bike fixed out of your own pocket for now, it could take a while to get any money from them. Just keep all receipts, including for the GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Hi,

Been knocked down last year by a van driver, filtering through traffic moving at the same speed, just passed the junction he decides to drive up onto a path. I hit the front left driver door, my bike was damaged and I had minor injuries.

I had medical bills, bike repair bills and time off work. I would advise you to contact the injuries board. it costs 40euro to lodge a complaint, then if the driver insurance companies agrees the claim is assessed. You are charged 250 for a medical which is provided by a third party doctor to verify any long term injuries which you may say you have or not have. (I didn't have any but a third party view is still required, this was 12 months later) I had a solicitor take care of my claim as I felt the driver & Insurance my company might not want to play ball.

I am not saying take this person to the cleaners, I am saying you have been injured by a driver who opened a door into a cycling lane without looking, your bike should be repaired at least.

Need more into feel free to drop a PM.

S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

You could ask her if she wants to sort it outside of insurance..

As it's only a pushbike, phone etc she may be in a position to pay with cash.

Saves her a hit on her insurance premium and you get your bike and phone repaired.

Not sure why you'd involve a solicitor unless you plan to seek compo.

Same with doc. You know yourself if you have a serious injury...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

mickdw wrote: »

Sounds reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Great post. Speed limit is 30 anyway so not like it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Nothing wrong with that speed. People walking around 4kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

I was passing a bit before 6pm and saw the aftermath of an incident where a passenger in a car had obviously knocked someone off their bike.

I wasn't too sure whether to stop as the injured party was already being helped by 2 or 3 people (I didn't stop in the end).

If that was you, I'm not sure if I can be of any assistance as I didn't witness the actual incident, but if I can be of help please PM me.

In reply to mickdw, I know the place, and it is a cycle lane where traffic encroaches on the lane all the time, and an estimate of 10 to 15 km would be about right, I nearly always freewheel down that stretch, and have to put my left foot down a few times, as traffic encroaches on the lane so much.

I hope you are OK OP (and you too mickdw, hell I hope we are all OK).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Swanner wrote: »
    You could ask her if she wants to sort it outside of insurance..

<b>As it's only a pushbike, phone etc she may be in a position to pay with cash.</b>

Saves her a hit on her insurance premium and you get your bike and phone repaired.

Not sure why you'd involve a solicitor unless you plan to seek compo.

My bike is worth more than some cars, other people have bikes worth much much more

On another note. Definitely contact insurance. I got hit 3 years ago.some injuries didn't appear at first. turned out I was concussed and needed time off work.headaches for weeks afterwards. Could've been worse, but could've been better

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Swanner wrote: »

You really don't, terrible advice. Any concerns with your health after an accident, get it checked out sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

A doctor might be a good idea just in case. My wife feel down a small Hill in the park 2 years ago. Hurt her leg. Put off going to the hospital cause it might clear up itself. Turns out shed been walking on a broken /damaged ankle
    There was a post 2 days ago where this "nearly happened" and lucky it didn't.
    Cctv footage can only be shared with the Garda AFAIK. Something to do with the data protection though I may have picked that up wrong.
    If you both gave statements and things happened as you say (I don't doubt you) I don't think you will have much to worry about.
    As mentioned by poster above repair /replace your bike now. Take photos of the bike and of your bruising just in case.
    I like to think I'm careful with opening the door but between this and the post a few days ago I'll be even more vigilant.
    Hope you feel better soon

Weepsie wrote: »
    My bike is worth more than some cars, other people have bikes worth much much more

Yes and my phone is worth more then some cars and most bikes but my point was that repairing a pushbike or a phone is likely to cost a lot less then repairing a car and on that basis she should be given the option to pay in cash and avoid an expensive hike in her premium next year.
    smacl wrote: »
    You really don't, terrible advice. Any concerns with your health after an accident, get it checked out sooner rather than later.

I completely agree that if you have a concern you should see a doctor however if you bang your arm it will bruise. That's perfectly normal.

We each know our own bodies better then any doc. If you have a reason to go, ie. unexplained pain, chronic pain, limited movement etc then by all means go but a doctor will only work off what you tell them.

So by all means go show him your bruise and tell him you banged your arm. I've no doubt he'll be delighted to take your €60 and tell you to go rest it.

That said if you do have symptoms that are worrying you, of course you should see one.

But a doc won't find anything you don't already know about. You'll need xrays and MRI's for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

In the same way cars have to allow space for unexpected swerving from cyclists, you should allow space for drivers opening their doors..

Chalk it down to experience, and move on. Not everything is a claim.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    In the same way cars have to allow space for unexpected swerving from cyclists, you should allow space for drivers opening their doors..

Think we have a winner for the most idiotic post

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

D0NNELLY wrote: »

Weepsie wrote: »
    Think we have a winner for the most idiotic post

Could we not have one thread without people acting the maggot and taking swipes at each other. Just one?

Be nice.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

My brother was in a similar situation he opened the drivers door and a cyclist ploughed into the door. No damage to the car cyclist came off the bicycle. Guards were called and recorded the incident and cyclist claimed of his insurance. He found out 18months later the the cyclist received 35k for personal injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭malarkus

Could we not have one thread without people acting the maggot and taking swipes at each other. Just one?

Be nice.

Thanks.

Thanks Mod!

If ye know the road you really cant be going too fast down it, its choked with traffic everyday and cars always encroach on cycle lane. Incidentally I have always been paranoid about being clocked by a car door as Ive had near misses before so I naturally go slow when passing close to stationary cars (parked or in traffic). Yesterday just wasnt my lucky day.
    Ive booked an appointment with GP today, I work in a medical enviorment so I know they cant tell me much I wont know myself without something like an MRI or X-ray but I want it on record that I was seen and if anything develops a doctor could sustantiate any claim that it was in relation to that accident. Im not looking for compo as may have been suggested, I just want my bike back :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

noel100 wrote: »
    My brother was in a similar situation he opened the drivers door and a cyclist ploughed into the door. No damage to the car cyclist came off the bicycle. Guards were called and recorded the incident and cyclist claimed of his insurance. He found out 18months later the the cyclist received 35k for personal injuries.
    i was talking to someone recently who was taken off their bike a few years ago by a motorist and ended up being carted to hospital in an ambulance. turns out no permanent damage, so he tried to engage privately with the motorist to keep the insurance company out of it - €500 for repair to the bike and medical bills.
    the motorist ended up telling his insurance company; and they rang the chap i know and told him they had a flat compensatory figure of €4000 for such instances, with a caveat that he signed away any right to take it further than that. he was given a strong impression (though not confirmed) that this may be a standard across the board, given the circumstances involved.

i know someone else who was in a similar situation, albeit knocked out for what he thinks was about 20 or 30s, and got €13k. he'd mentioned it to his solicitor, who managed the case for him.

• Advertisement

malarkus wrote: »
    Ive booked an appointment with GP today, I work in a medical enviorment so I know they cant tell me much I wont know myself without something like an MRI or X-ray but I want it on record that I was seen and if anything develops a doctor could sustantiate any claim that it was in relation to that accident.

Fair enough. I can understand you might do it to cross the "t"'s and dot the "i"'s on the paperwork.

It was just the generic call to go to a GP to get "checked out" that i didn't understand.
    Im not looking for compo as may have been suggested, I just want my bike back :(

Fair play to you. Good to see decency is alive and well. I hope it all gets sorted quickly for you..

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭malarkus

I was passing a bit before 6pm and saw the aftermath of an incident where a passenger in a car had obviously knocked someone off their bike.

I wasn't too sure whether to stop as the injured party was already being helped by 2 or 3 people (I didn't stop in the end).

If that was you, I'm not sure if I can be of any assistance as I didn't witness the actual incident, but if I can be of help please PM me.

In reply to mickdw, I know the place, and it is a cycle lane where traffic encroaches on the lane all the time, and an estimate of 10 to 15 km would be about right, I nearly always freewheel down that stretch, and have to put my left foot down a few times, as traffic encroaches on the lane so much.

I hope you are OK OP (and you too mickdw, hell I hope we are all OK).

Yep that was me! Thanks for your well wishes, there were plenty of kind people who stopped to help and the guy who runs Iveagh Baths came out and promised me the CCTV would catch everything if needed. Cheers!

<SNIP>

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you're new to the cycling forum, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

mickdw wrote:
    So let me get this straight. Motorist opens door in front of cyclist..... motorist at fault

Yes. Rules of the road states that the driver of the car is responsible for passages not taking due care while opening doors. In this particular case cyclist was in cycle Lane & the car wasn't parked

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

...so I bounced off the door with my helmet ...

Sorry to go off topic but glad you mentioned this part, I've also been doored in the past and flipped over landing on my helmet.

What's the argument against compulsory helmets again?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

mickdw: Do not post on this thread anymore. This isn't the forum for generalised complaints about cyclists.

Everyone else, back on topic, thanks.

Advertisement