Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taken off my bike by swinging car door, advice sought!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭malarkus

mrcheez wrote: »
    Sorry to go off topic but glad you mentioned this part, I've also been doored in the past and flipped over landing on my helmet.

What's the argument against compulsory helmets again?

Statistically the benefits of wearing a helmet are matched by negatives and overall they dont reduce deaths on the road. At an individual level helmets will protect against head injury but also increase head circumference and chance for contact. At a population level helmets add stigma that cycling is dangerous and reduce uptake, whereas more cyclists mean safer roads as drivers are more aware. Further, studies have shown that drivers perceive less danger in being closer to cyclists with helmets but give those without more room.
    It sounds counter-intuitive but science has been going against the grain of thought from year dot!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

malarkus wrote: »
    Statistically the benefits of wearing a helmet are matched by negatives and overall they dont reduce deaths on the road. At an individual level helmets will protect against head injury but also increase head circumference and chance for contact. At a population level helmets add stigma that cycling is dangerous and reduce uptake, whereas more cyclists mean safer roads as drivers are more aware. Further, studies have shown that drivers perceive less danger in being closer to cyclists with helmets but give those without more room.
    It sounds counter-intuitive but science has been going against the grain of thought from year dot!

Lot of horse**** in that post

Pkiernan wrote: »

Im not saying I agree with those points but the question was whats the arguement against compulsory helmets? Well, thats the argument.

I for one welcome our helmet-wearing overlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Helmets argument seekers, it's down the corridor and the second door on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Pkiernan wrote: »

there's plenty of reading out there to further inform oneself on the topic.

two examples here and here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Im not looking for compo as may have been suggested, I just want my bike back :(

I was doored similarly a few months ago, traffic at a standstill, passenger decided to get out and walk and opened door into the cycle lane. I was able to cycle home afterwards but there was damage done to my bike. Similarly i just wanted that covered, my only injuries were bruising and stiffness, nothing broken. I was probably in a bit of shock at the time so i took insurance details off the driver but did not ask for address or phone number or anything. I contacted her insurance company who agreed to pass on my contact details to her, I explained that she might prefer to deal with it without involving an insurance claim (repair cost came to about 150 for new front wheel, and a new gear shifter that had smashed). They did pass on my details but i didn't hear from her, so i contacted the insurance company over the phone. They told me they would speak to their insured, few days later they called me back. I told them i was only looking for the repair cost, they agreed there and then to send a cheque which i subsequently received.

Reason I am setting that out is to make it clear that you will have no problem whatsoever with a claim, liability will not be an issue, the insurance company will be delighted if your claim is limited to repair costs etc. They are well aware that you could successfully claim for personal injuries so if you are limiting your claim to property damage it more or less establishes off the bat that you are being honest and reasonable in the claim you are making.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

What's the argument against compulsory helmets again?

Mine is that I'm a big boy and don't need you or anyone else legislating what I do or don't wear. Thanks.

After coming off my bike earlier in the year it wasn't until 2 days after the event the pain of the soft tissue damage and swelling kicked in.

You might feel ok straight after the accident but it can take longer for some injuries to show themselves. Bear this in mind before dusting yourself off and continuing on your journey without taking taking the particulars of the other party..

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

:rolleyes: And there's the elements of society who try injury cyclist i mentioned in another thread

Op...go get checked fully by doctor it's usually the days or even weeks after accident issues can arise, you flesh and bone hit a stationary metal object at 20kph if it destroyed your bike I'd be surprised if you are lucky enough to be only bruised, it's no good in six month wandering why you have pain in places you never had, but for peace of mind get checked and be honest with doctor if you feel pain say,

Off topic but a friend of mine had a fairly simple accident at home years ago felt ok just little tender at back under ribs, I can't remember exactly but a few days/weeks later he was rushed to hospital where yhey found a torn spleen i think like i say was a few years back but whatever part it was was bleeding into his abdomen slowly.........not to frighten you :eek: but get looked at

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

OP, I would go to the doctors just to be sure. Bruising can hide some injuries.
    Also go to your local chemist and get some arnica tablets, it will alot with the bruising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Mine is that I'm a big boy and don't need you or anyone else legislating what I do or don't wear. Thanks.

Well sure cycling legislation is hardly-ever enforced by Gardai anyway, but curious, are motorcyclists allowed to ride without a helmet and the above argument count for them too?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Mod note: On Topic posts from now on please, there's a whole helmet megathtead to discuss the helmet issue, anymore posts of that nature will be deleted off this one.
    Any questions pm me do not respond in thread

<snip>

Off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

I was doored by a car many years ago. Landed on my back and twisted my ankle a bit. At the time I thought, just an accident, I am slightly sore, no need to cause a fuss, just let it go. Much to my chagrin. My ankle blew up like a balloon that night, still hurts regularly, and sprains easily to this day. There is also an unsightly lump on the side of it which I have to admit bothers me! In retrospect I should have been fully checked out after the spill, and made some kind of a claim for physical therapy etc. Being a young fool at the time I didn't even take the drivers details. My advice, go to your doc, file a claim. Insurance exists for these unfortunate occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I wonder if all the posts on the motoring forum about accidents and claims are met with cries of "you shouldn't have been driving!". Really helpful.

My 2c: I was in a car crash back in 2003, I was told I could have claimed for damages and received a small sum of money. I opted not to.

13 years later and I still get incredibly bad back pain for which I've spent a lot of money on physios to treat. That sum of money would have come in handy.

In short: don't assume you're not injured, get a full check up. You're entitled to it, don't let internet cowboys tell you otherwise when it comes to YOUR health.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

There are a good few examples of cyclists' experiences following collisions in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057378197
    My experience of two "accidents" is in there somewhere. The lessons I learnt were: if it's any way serious, involve the Gardai and witnesses; soft tissue injuries can take months to show up (3 months for a snapped ligament in my case); it's virtually impossible to know if a carbon frame has been damaged or not; insurance companies deal with property (bike, clothing etc) separately from personal injury issues and you don't need a solicitor when dealing with the Injuries Board. PM me if you want any more details.

Mods - is it worth having a sticky of post-accident experience as a lot of these issues come up regularly?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Well I'm glad that I was wearing a helmet when I landed on my head as I was doored suddenly (just like the OP is glad I'm sure they were similarly equipped when they hit the door head-on).

Just seems daft to me to not be taking every possible safety measure, regardless of whether required by law or not, simply for such incidents that cannot be predicted.
    The argument for not using a helmet because we're big enough to handle it is like saying we don't need lights since we can clearly see in the dark.

Regarding the argument that drivers give more room when cycling without helmet, I disagree with this based on my own experiences where I didn't happen to have a helmet with me (a rarity of course). Incidents related to drivers getting too close can easily be prevented by taking cycling defensively.

MOD VOICE: There is a mod warning right before your post, the next person to bring up helmet wearing and their own viewpoints here rather than the megathread on the subject will be banned from the discussion and carded

PM me for furtner discussion, do not do so in thread.

Thanks all for your advice in this thread, Ive been to the GP and she confirmed soft tissue damage which doesnt look too severe but warned me it may get worse over coming weeks and months. My shoulder has certainly started to get tighter today and it had a burning sensation earlier which wasnt nice.

Once I have her insurance details from the Gardai (she was given ten days to present the disk) Ill contact regarding remuneration of costs for bike/phone repair and GP. If injury persists or new symptoms do emerge then I will look to Injuries Board as suggested and I may PM a few boardsies if it comes to this.

:pac: cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Here's a thread from couple of years ago.
    It may be of some relevance to you.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93240912

CramCycle wrote: »
    MOD VOICE: There is a mod warning right before your post

whoops, the mod warning appeared before my post was completed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Once I have her insurance details from the Gardai (she was given ten days to present the disk) Ill contact regarding remuneration of costs for bike/phone repair and GP. If injury persists or new symptoms do emerge then I will look to Injuries Board as suggested and I may PM a few boardsies if it comes to this.

:pac: cheers!

Save yourself a lot of hassle and just deal with the insurance company.

Forget all the crap about no claims bonus etc. It's a weird Oirish thing to have insurance and never use it. I would put my hand up and say I was one of those people until a few years ago, until when via work I had to deal with a few insurance companies.

As someone who has driven for 20 years with no accidents, it would probably cost me about 1100 odd Euro over three years were you to claim off me, and after that it would drop back to normal as I would be free money to the insurance companies, due to my driving record. Push the boat out and let's say it cost me an extra 500 a year, as the insurance companies would milk me for having an accident and claiming. That's how they roll.

It's feck all in the grand scheme of things, shure you could be taking that off the person anyways!

In my experience people are generally pr1cks when it comes to accidents/insurance, and you would save yourself a lot of hassle by just dealing with the insurance company.

That's why they got insurance, right?

Think about it, you say the bike cost 250 to repair, they say OK, then you have to meet them, then they turn up with 200 and promise the rest in a week and yadda yadda yadda.

Save yourself a lot of hassle, even if like me your compulsion is to be "nice" to a fellow person.

Short story for you...

I actually got hit by a car on the walkinstown roundabout when it was empty, and the guy just drove onto it and didn't see me in front of him. I had lights and high vis galore. There was no issue about who was responsible. Apologies all round etc.

Two days later denied all responsibility. I ran into the side of his van, don't yah know!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I actually got hit by a car on the walkinstown roundabout when it was empty,
    a colleague was recently hit by a car on his own road when it was empty.
    and i mean the car was empty. he said that was a fun one to explain to the owner. 'your car just hit me'; 'nonsense, i was watching telly' etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Same thing happened me today heading toward the aviva. Rear passenger opened taxi door and I got cleaned out. Gash on my arm, scratched knee, handle bar plus mudguard damaged. Took down the drivers reg wrong on my phone and never got his name so not much i can do about it. Logged it at the local Garda station anyway but ill chalk this one down to experience. Clean enough fall thankfully enough, think the gash on the arm is from the car door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Here's a thread from couple of years ago.
    It may be of some relevance to you.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93240912

Excellent post by you there Eamonnator. It's that kind of detail that should be made more accessible in a sticky.

jive wrote: »
    Same thing happened me today heading toward the aviva. Rear passenger opened taxi door and I got cleaned out. Gash on my arm, scratched knee, handle bar plus mudguard damaged. Took down the drivers reg wrong on my phone and never got his name so not much i can do about it. Logged it at the local Garda station anyway but ill chalk this one down to experience. Clean enough fall thankfully enough, think the gash on the arm is from the car door.

Ooof sorry to hear that Jive, sounds like you got it rough :eek:.
    Hope you're not too seriously hurt. Did the driver just leave the scene? If so, thats disgraceful! Check the area for pubs or ATMs, you never know - CCTV may have recorded your incident.

Ooof sorry to hear that Jive, sounds like you got it rough :eek:.
    Hope you're not too seriously hurt. Did the driver just leave the scene? If so, thats disgraceful! Check the area for pubs or ATMs, you never know - CCTV may have recorded your incident.

Nah he got out and asked was I alright and I was (still am, thankfully). When I was giving my bike the once over he headed off, he wasn't hanging around let's put it that way!

Minor damage to the bike so wouldn't be worth pursuing with him, it'll be a DIY home job to fix a few bits!

I think I will get a camera to attach to my helmet, even though I had read this thread just yesterday and had all the information available I still handled it badly but you wouldn't be thinking straight after a fall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Nah he got out and asked was I alright and I was (still am, thankfully). When I was giving my bike the once over he headed off, he wasn't hanging around let's put it that way!

You're fortunate that it was a taxi. You'll get his name and address here;

https://www.transportforireland.ie/taxi/check-if-a-taxi-driver-is-properly-licensed/

You're fortunate that it was a taxi. You'll get his name and address here;

https://www.transportforireland.ie/taxi/check-if-a-taxi-driver-is-properly-licensed/

Took down his licence wrong as he was driving away so I can't unfortunately. Passenger gave me his name but can't be sure he is right to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Seems a whole lot of tension on the forum after a calm summer

Wonder is it anything to do with the kids going back to school last week....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

For future ref:

Always take a photo of the reg. Phones now have cameras as standard…

If you're injured - and a gash on your arm is definitely injured - it's a legal requirement to call the Guards.

Advertisement