Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Ultimate Fighter 24 - Spoilers

• 02-09-2016 10:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,916 ✭✭✭✭

Surprised there's no thread for this, thought it was quiet good. Nice to see how champs in lower orgs live. Plus no drunk 'let's bang bro' shenanigans. Quiet annoying how Dana is labelling them all with a good chance to beat MM. Just no.

Anyone know how they rank the seeds? 1 v 16 could have been the other way around.

Don't blink lived up to his nickname!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Yeah I thought it was a great start! The first fight was one of the best I've seen on TUF. Wonder if they scripted the way Brandon ended up Vs his buddy's team. Made for some early drama.

Agreed on the Dana attempts to play up everyone's chances, just call a spade a spade man!

Weirdest moment was the dude from Alaska licking his baby daughter's tongue......ewwww!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I've no problems with Dana bigging them up. The majority of people watching won't have a clue who these guys are so he's not going to say, "welcome guys but seriously... MM is going to destroy the eventual winnner... but hey, good luck."

Some good fights all the same.

I don't particularly care about the back story in TUF as much as I used to. Tend to just fast forward to the fights. The narrative/editing of the show is almost too predictable as to who will go on and win the fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Fast forward to the fights, everything else is gloss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭cletus

Dana is doing a great job of selling these guys. He must have called them world champions twice in every sentence, and every time he intros one before s fight, they're the guy who has a great shot at stopping mighty mouse.

I'm curious about the other organisations, specifically how the contracts work out. They are essentially letting their champions walk in and possibly be beaten by a rival orgs champ.

He is cursing a lot more than usual too. Chill Dana!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭FollowMyWay

Great first fight! I thought Moreno was winning, he landed the left hook over and over and he was scrappy. Pantoje has a decent chin on him, his two takedowns in the second were excellent. It seemed Moreno got tired and that's what lost him the fight for me, both impressive.

Kai doesn't hang around, power shots.

Looking forward to Hiro V Zulu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,916 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Dana has to big em up alright no one including him believes it. Also i know he's always shouty bit he seems more shouty than usual.

Why didn't Henry pick his teammate first?

Moreni was well on his way to winning the fight, the other guy looked like he thought he'd have a handy fight and just chase the flying knee ko.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Thought it was great - Will be some great fights in this season I believe - Love the format this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Dana has to big em up alright no one including him believes it. Also i know he's always shouty bit he seems more shouty than usual.

Why didn't Henry pick his teammate first?

Moreni was well on his way to winning the fight, the other guy looked like he thought he'd have a handy fight and just chase the flying knee ko.

That was so weird. To the point where you'd have to believe they set that up as a storyline.

Cejudo had the pick. The fact he didn't pick his friend and training partner makes zero sense. It would be the exact equivalent of Conor having 1st pick and not picking Artem.

It was obviously set up so that'd play off the emotions of him having to corner against his friend.

That Kiwi fella looks a prospect, that next fight is gonna be epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Didn't know it started back. Does it air on Wednesday night in the states?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Really hope Tim Elliot wins hes a gent, got a raw deal in the UFC orignally. Absolutely none of them would touch MM though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

The way it was presented was that the competitors were seeded 1-16 but Cejudo and JB didnt know the seedings. So when Cejudo picked the Brazilian dude, he didnt know who he would be matched against, so he didnt know it would be against his homeboy.
    That said, it probably was scripted like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭smilerf

Lads nobody check wiki
    Somehow they got the second fight result

There were two fights in the opening episode.

Are these guys getting paid for this or is it the normal TUF structure? Seeing as Dana is bigging them up as champs he probably should pay them to fight. Hope the winner is at least getting a better contract than the normal winner does.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Hope the winner is at least getting a better contract than the normal winner does.

I would imagine its the normal TUF structure. They are champions but they are in organisations that pay nothing near what they would get in the UFC, so this is a massive opportunity for them the same as anyone going on TUF but with the added bonus of an instant title shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,819 ✭✭✭lertsnim

smilerf wrote: »
    Lads nobody check wiki
    Somehow they got the second fight result

So did anyone who watched the first episode.

a freelance journalist leaked the results of the entire series to-date including a breaking news on who Mighty Mouse will be facing and was sacked by all the publications he contributes to.

I agree with his sacking as spoiling a whole series of tv is not the same as breaking a news story.

What a spanner!

Yeah i saw the spoiler. Fairly annoying, didnt care at the time when I saw it because I didnt expect to watch it, but I watched the first episode and the setup does make it the most interesting series for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Enjoyed the first episode. That KO was fantastic!

Does anyone else think it's annoying having Tim Elliott in this by the way? Not that he isn't good enough to be in there or anything, of course he is, but he has fought numerous times in the UFC previously. When I'm watching TUF, I want to see some new blood, not a soon to be 30 year old with a 2-4 record in the UFC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭smilerf

Paully D wrote: »

Does anyone else think it's annoying having Tim Elliott in this by the way? Not that he isn't good enough to be in there or anything, of course he is, but he has fought numerous times in the UFC previously. When I'm watching TUF, I want to see some new blood, not a soon to be 30 year old with a 2-4 record in the UFC.
    Same with page but I like Elliot.
    Page is style over substance.
    Looking like a good season

1st episode really was great. Good fights, good backstory with each fighter.

As has been noted many times, it's such a weird format. I see what they are trying to do obviously - they are trying to boost the profile of Cejudo and Benavidez because truthfully they are still the top 2 existing contenders, despite the fact they've lost to DJ already. And then they are trying to build a couple more contenders from the series.

It's just strange because the set-up of having the 2 coaches as guys Mighty Mouse has beaten..... and they are trying to coach others into beating him.... it's all kinds of warped as a concept.

But if the 1st episode is anything to go by this could be the best season in a long time. I enjoyed TUF 22 purely for Conor and Urijah but it's fair to say the show as a concept is coming towards the end of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I like Ronaldo Candido and Hiromasa just from looking at some stuff about them online but I'm not sure if Mighty Mouse would be quaking in his boots with what we've seen so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,657 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There were two fights in the opening episode.

Are these guys getting paid for this or is it the normal TUF structure? Seeing as Dana is bigging them up as champs he probably should pay them to fight. Hope the winner is at least getting a better contract than the normal winner does.

In the female straw weight TUF, they all got paid for the series. Not red panty money or anything, but better than nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Cejudo is an utter arse. Throwing insults and then as soon as Benavidez says anything he comes back with the "be a role model" bollocks. :pac: I think Benavidez is spot on when he says Cejudo says what he thinks he's supposed to say and that most of the things he says sounds like it's coming from a script.

Both Hiro and Zulu came across as decent guys. It's a pity one of them had to lose. Hiro's ground game is very nice.

Not the most exciting episode you'll see. Cejudo talking crap about being 2-0, when his training partner was the one who lost, made no sense and seemed straight from a script.

The part where Dana alluded that they might not want want to train guys to get a shot at MM before them, seemed silly, maybe because if MM ain't got the belt they have a much better shot at getting a title fight/possibly winning.

Cejudo comes off horribly

#TeamBenavidez!

Beaming for Hiro, what a decent chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The collective WTF look from everyone when Cejudo was doing his Benavidez impression was class.

• Advertisement

And he fought against Benavidez too.

Reminds me of when Joe Lauzon was on TUF. He had already fought in the UFC for a single fight. Knocking out Jens Pulver, who was his coach on TUF.
    It's just strange because the set-up of having the 2 coaches as guys Mighty Mouse has beaten..... and they are trying to coach others into beating him.... it's all kinds of warped as a concept.
    TBH they are only coaching them to get to the finale of TUF. I imagine once they leave the show the winner will being back to his camp or to a new camp and focus on MM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

dana whites talking head bits are hilarious

this guys striking , he could cause demitirious johnsons problems if he gets through the tournament
    this guys grappling , he could cause demitirious johnsons problems if he gets through the tournament
    this guy is tall , he could cause demitirious johnsons problems if he gets through the tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Cejudo is coming across as a complete bollocks in this. Grade A idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Just catching up on the first two episodes. Surely anyone watching this is going to think Dana is talking bs when he keeps saying X is a good fight for DJ due to so and so. Ah come on now Dana. Unless it's DJ vs them all back to back its unlikely to be that close!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Is this worth wasting my time watching? I like tuf but it hasn't been good in years.

The idea of it is stupid, none of these guys could hang with Cejudo or Videz never mind MM. Going to be a silly title fight.

Cracking fight, great body shots but bad call by the ref, far too early. I'd like to see Demacio get another shot after his hand heals. Enjoyed both Home videos as well.

Cujudo is an absolute knob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

What a ****ty stoppage, he was getting up as it was stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,413 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    What a ****ty stoppage, he was getting up as it was stopped.

Yeah was a terrible stoppage. OK he was in pain from the kick but none of the follow up punches really landed and he was still trying to defend himself by getting up off the fence. It was almost like the ref didn't even know the rules. Should definitely have given him a bit more time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Good fight. Slightly early stoppage. I think the ref was on his way in to part them as soon as he saw him drop. I'm not sure he could take too many more of those gut kicks so I'm not overly disappointed in the stoppage. He needed a finish to salvage it at that stage anyway which I didn't see coming.

Apologies for the lack of names but I only watch the fight at the end, can't be arsed with the rest of the episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭califano

Withering kicks there!. You can really get the impression of kicks and strikes when you can hear them because of the relative silence.
    Next project for UFC should be to create this option for their fight pass and ppv's. And have the choice of no commentary.

Fights have all been pretty good, should make for good quarter final fights if the second side of the bracket is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

I missed it this week...us it repeated during the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

3e now....thanks..

Really enjoying it so far. Some great fights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,819 ✭✭✭lertsnim

i am enjoying the fights but the bits around them is tedious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Just watching it now. Did he tap in that guillotine????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

theteal wrote: »
    Just watching it now. Did he tap in that guillotine????

I think he was just about to but then Schnell released and Rizzo popped his head out with a big breath! Though Rizzo was very poor, no control whatsoever.

I liked the home videos in previous episodes but the first 30 minutes (up until the fight starts) was pure shyting boring. It looked like a single tap just before he popped out of the guillotine.

Disappointed with Kai, looked like he was gonna cry and then told the whole group. Still rooting for him in his next fight but cmon bro..and such. Nasty bulldog choke by tim, he eats a lot of shots but one of the most likable guys in the house.

Things that spring to mind so far.
    Most of the guys acting like dicks lost, I'm glad.
    A couple of former ufc guys in he mix. Tim Elliot is a gent, I'm glad he's still there. Page is a dick, unlucky stppage but he should know bettter.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vivab13

Another good episode. Two weeks without a new one now thanks to baseball playoffs in the states. Oh well

• Advertisement
Advertisement