Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to put crate(s)

• 02-09-2016 10:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭

We've 2 7 month old puppies, you may have seen the photos about...

Currently they have a crate each and these are kept in a spare room which they only have access to when going to bed for the night.

Am starting to wonder though if they should have more free access to them, say having them in the kitchen/lounge so they don't associate them with 'being put away' for the night as such, any advice?

would you let them share a crate also or do you keep them separate all the time? When we're out during the day the have a big pen in the garage and happily sleep together (when they think we're not watching;))

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

With puppies/littermates, I would always keep them separate, not only in their crates but generally speaking so they do not have an unhealthy attachment to each other. I honestly think it's personal preference as to where you keep their crates. My GSD adores his crate, it's in our bedroom/office where we spend the most time. Heck, I might even have to get two crates when we move lol.

If they are happy with the setup they have now, I don't see a reason to change their routine.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I'm not sure if they are though, that's the thing. We were away for 5 weeks and a friend was minding them (trip was planned long before puppies were!) So they may be a bit out of sorts over that but they've started barking a lot more at night than they ever did and every morning about 6.30.

I'm just thinking if they had more free access to the crates whenever they wanted they may just be a bit more settled when they have to go to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

I agree with Vonvix. Littermates should not share the crates particularly if the same sex. Where you put it is personal choice. I have mine under my stairs. 2 of my dogs do share but they are different sexes & bitch is spayed so no trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

most dogs will start associating their crates with their bed and will adore going in there. Gve them free access as and when they please...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

they're not litter mates btw, one is spayed the other will be next week. (1m, 1f)
    I suppose the question is more is having the crates somewhere they have free access to when they want better than a room they only get to see when they go to bed for the night, regardless of the specific location the crates are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

they're not litter mates btw, one is spayed the other will be next week. (1m, 1f)
    I suppose the question is more is having the crates somewhere they have free access to when they want better than a room they only get to see when they go to bed for the night, regardless of the specific location the crates are.

If moving around the crates is a pain then maybe get 1 larger crate for downstairs that the 2 will easily fit in.

My dogs always had their crates in the living area and were mainly just there for somewhere they could go if they felt like it for a snooze or a bit of privacy. We'd always give them high reward treats in their individual crates to avoid any fights. (Although that's not an issue anymore). Initially we gave them treats in there every now and again so they saw it as a good place but really they loved them from the start and seemed to see them a safe place as they were rarely locked in.
    They used to sleep on our bed so no need for them in the bedroom but since we moved a few months ago we decided to experiment with having them sleep in the crates. I thought they'd be upset but they didn't mind at all. In fact they both race into their crates at night tails wagging and settle straight away. Now we just move the bigger one into the living room in the morning and they alternate or share or ignore it depending on their mood.
    Id say definitely try having one in the living space open and even initially encourage (but not force) them to relax in there maybe with a treat. You want them to see it as a safe cave rather than the place they get locked away to at night. That way if they were ever injured etc and needed to spend significant time in one it wouldn't be a stressful ordeal for either of you! And hopefully they'll be a little less over eager to be let out in the mornings. My dogs happily sleep for as long as we do.

Advertisement