Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Alarm needed

Options
  • 02-09-2016 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi,

Do you legally have to have a house alarm is you have a shotgun and rifle stored on the premises? I don't think there is anywhere on my licenses that says I do. there was never an inspection done either. I am just asking as I currently have them licensed to my parents house which has an alarm but was wanted to move them to my house but I don't have an alarm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It's not in your licence, it's in a statutory instrument (the [url=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/17587/87248.pdf[/url]).
    It's summarised in that Big Red Notice at the top of the forum (the one marked Firearms licensing information)
    But short version, you (as in, your specific case) aren't required to have one unless the rifle and shotgun are both on restricted licences or there are other firearms you haven't mentioned or your local Super (or Chief Super, whomever granted the licence) specifically said you had to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭RKMG

Apologies, the link wasn't working for me on this computer but thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

The link to the Garda commissioners guidlines has long been broken

"The page cannot be found"

Eh? Worked for me just now Clive, but the storage stuff is governed by the SI, not the Guidelines. (And that link worked for me just now as well)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Sparks wrote: »
    Eh? Worked for me just now Clive, but the storage stuff is governed by the SI, not the Guidelines. (And that link worked for me just now as well)

And for me now, but not earlier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭nigelm485

Had dealings with my super over the same thing it's 4 or more for the alarm. I have to get sorted before they grant me my next one.

It's 4 or more unrestricted (it kicks in before that for restricted) -- and even then only if the Super doesn't ask for it explicitly.
    Unfortunately, the law's not really interested in making our lives easy here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Ligertigon, if it was only that simple, I had to put in an alarm before granting of my 3rd non restricted firearm

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Remember that the security levels are minimums only. IOW the settings for each level are the bare minimum for that amount and the Super/Chief Super can demand higher regardless of number of firearms if they deem it necessary.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
Advertisement