Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Concord (Phonewatch) and VirginMedia phone line

Options
  • 02-09-2016 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

For anyone who has switched from Eir to VirginMedia and now has their landline I can confirm that the VM landline will connect up to the above panel and will alert you to an alarm activation by calling you on the number you program into the panel. I do not have a monitoring contract and it's completely self managed.

I installed a GSM dialer a while back and as usual forgot to top up credit etc so I gave up on it.

I didn't realise how easy it would be to replace the Eir wiring at the point of entry to the house with a run of cable from the VM modem. All tested and working perfectly.

Got me thinking that anyone who required alarm monitoring should have no problem using this solution too. VM control their entire network from origin to destination so there should be no network handover issues as were previously reported with other VOIP services.

This is just an observation and I'm sure the more qualified out there could shine a clearer matter on the subject.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I have argued with them for years it will work. After all the line output from the modem is a standard analogue phone line.
    Things to be aware of...
    In the event of a power cut or network down you will lose the phone line.
    The dial tone can change without notice, so dial tone detect should be turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭retepnosnikta

KoolKid wrote: »
    I have argued with them for years it will work. After all the line output from the modem is a standard analogue phone line.
    Things to be aware of...
    In the event of a power cut or network down you will lose the phone line.
    The dial tone can change without notice, so dial tone detect should be turned off.

Yes dial tone is indeed turned off. The power cut argument is certainly a valid one and yes the GSM dialer would operate off the backup battery in the event of a power cut but I'd imagine it would drain the battery quicker. A possible solution could be a UPS attached to the system.

I posted this purely for people who had been told that a VM land line would not be suitable for connecting up to an existing panel that had previously been monitored via an Eir land line and had cancelled their PW monitoring contract.

I'd be very interested to see if anyone is currently monitored via a VM landline though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'd be very interested to see if anyone is currently monitored via a VM landline though

My mother was, lots of people here were , kk did a great post on it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The power cut argument is certainly a valid one and yes the GSM dialer would operate off the backup battery in the event of a power cut but I'd imagine it would drain the battery quicker. A possible solution could be a UPS attached to the system.

A GSM would not decrease the battery life of a system by very much.While a UPS may be a solution there is also the possibility if the power is down in the area the broadband connection ( and phone line) may be down anyway.

Advertisement