Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I do a Level 6 Cert before doing a degree as a mature student?

Options
  • 02-09-2016 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi folks,
    I'm planning to go back into education again next year. I'm 23 years old and have already done a Higher National Diploma (Level 6) in Music Performance.

I am going to study a degree in psychology. I understand that this is a popular choice and that places for mature students are limited to I want to improve my chances as much as I can before applying.

I've found some online Level 6 courses, like this one:
    The Open College: Child Psychology (QQI Level 6),
    and I'm wondering whether it would be worthwhile doing. Would it improve my chances?

Also, any other tips or suggestions from people with experience would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

As in all planning, have your plan, and your backup plan. Apply for the course you want, but talk to the department about anything you could do that they would consider an advantage in a future application. If you get the course, you won't need a backup plan. If you don't, you'll know you're backup plan is a useful one.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Normally with degree courses they start off on level 5 . So really you will have 2 years already done . You might get an exemption on some modules.

Advertisement