Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner/Intro Spins

Options
  • 02-09-2016 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭

This may be of interest to some....

The Blue and Green spins are open to non club-members(Max 3 rides, a CI license is required for the 4th and any further spins) and suited to both Beginners (Green) and those who just want to try out Group rides.

When? Every Saturday (Blue Spin also on Sundays from Blake's cross)
    Meeting Point: North Road Business Park, Swords.

http://swordscc.com/winter-spin-roster/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

What times and distances? It's on the onthe linked page, that I could see ayway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Hungrycol wrote: »
    What times and distances? It's on the onthe linked page, that I could see ayway.

click on the link:
    "The leader roster for our Autumn/Winter spins for 2016/17 are now available here."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you don't allow much time in the morning to allow hangovers to dissipate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Trust me that's leaving plenty time. Our club spins are 7:30 on a Saturday. I might join in on some of these. Been thinking about joining a cycling club too. Thanks

I've been criticized by some for moving them from 8.30 to 9am start! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

any chance you could pinpoint the meeting point on google maps?
    i won't make it this weekend, but hopefully might make it tomorrow week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

any chance you could pinpoint the meeting point on google maps?
    i won't make it this weekend, but hopefully might make it tomorrow week.
    North Street Business Park, Swords (Saturday) and Blakes Cross (Sunday)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

07Lapierre wrote: »
    click on the link:
    "The leader roster for our Autumn/Winter spins for 2016/17 are now available here."

Gotcha, that roster link wasn't working for me but tried a different divice and that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

This may be of interest to some....

The Blue and Green spins are open to non club-members(Max 3 rides, a CI license is required for the 4th and any further spins) and suited to both Beginners (Green) and those who just want to try out Group rides.

When? Every Saturday (Blue Spin also on Sundays from Blake's cross)
    Meeting Point: North Road Business Park, Swords.

http://swordscc.com/winter-spin-roster/

I have a CI licence registered to a different club. Would I need to change the club over?

Also what kind of lumps are in the spins? Can easily do the red pace and distance, but not over mountains! I'm looking to join a club for the winter to keep me on the bike.

sullivlo wrote: »
    I have a CI licence registered to a different club. Would I need to change the club over?

Also what kind of lumps are in the spins? Can easily do the red pace and distance, but not over mountains! I'm looking to join a club for the winter to keep me on the bike.

once you have a valid CI license your good to go.

The routes may vary from week to week, but here's the popular one.

https://www.strava.com/routes/4035338

besides, there are no hills in North County Dublin :P

• Advertisement

once you have a valid CI license your good to go.

The routes may vary from week to week, but here's the popular one.

https://www.strava.com/routes/4035338

besides, there are no hills in North County Dublin :P

I'm just back from crewing on the RAI. There most certainly are not any hills in NCD. None. I thought there were, but then I went to Kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

sullivlo wrote: »
    I'm just back from crewing on the RAI. There most certainly are not any hills in NCD. None. I thought there were, but then I went to Kerry.

The home of hills and the Healey Raes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I've been very hungover on some of these spins. It's fine. As has been pointed out there's no hills to show you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Highly recommend the Swords Sunday morning (9.00am) Touring Spins too if you have the time and inclination for a longer ride. They are normally about 80-110k at about 26-28kph, always include a good coffee and scone stop and leave from the North Road Business Park.
    For the Leisure Classes, there are similar spins on Thursday mornings leaving from The Lord Mayor's Pub at 9.15 and getting back to Swords about 1.30pm.
    After a good few years of cycling solo or with friends I joined MSCC last November. To quote the club mate who talked me into it "It's the best thing I ever did" ��

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Thought about the poor souls who were out this morning in the rain.
    Why couldn't this have been announced in the "summer" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Sorry for changing the subject but is their any clubs on the south side that do this. Would love to try out before joining

We do run these spins in the summer, but not as many.

Our beginner spins are led by experienced club members. These members participate in open races, club races, sportives etc. These are all on in the summer months. We run these spins at this time of year when these members have more time to volunteer to lead these spins.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sorry for changing the subject but is their any clubs on the south side that do this. Would love to try out before joining
    Try Orwell Wheelers - plenty of regulars around here who are also members there and I'm sure can give you a steer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Can I ask, are there many (any?) women on these? and is the distance in KM? (apologies, I run in miles :o)

it's also to do with the cycling ireland membership, isn't it, in that membership is closed for the month of september, so you can't get CI insurance to go on club spins?
    i may have picked that up wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Firedance wrote: »
    Can I ask, are there many (any?) women on these? and is the distance in KM? (apologies, I run in miles :o)

I can see at least one lady I know down to lead one of the spins so I'm guessing there are more. And yes it looks to be in KM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Yes, there would be women members on most of the spins but probably more men. Distances in cycling are always in kilometres - it's one of the Rules of Cycling and it sounds better!
    it's also to do with the cycling ireland membership, isn't it, in that membership is closed for the month of september, so you can't get CI insurance to go on club spins?
    i may have picked that up wrong.

Nothing to do with this. We get new people showing up on spins at any time of the year and most stay on and become members.

Beasty wrote: »
    Try Orwell Wheelers - plenty of regulars around here who are also members there and I'm sure can give you a steer

I know a few Orwell members, I just didn't think they done intro spins due to them being such a large cc

I'll be heading along in a few weeks (have a few sportives coming up so after them) and I'm female.

Nothing to do with this. We get new people showing up on spins at any time of the year and most stay on and become members.
    the chap in humphries mentioned something about the CI membership as being a reason that september was chosen as the best time to advertise 'open' organised cycles for people interested in joining - i may have picked him up wrong, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

St.Tiernan's CC also run beginner/intro spins but not until late September.

daragh_ wrote: »
    St.Tiernan's CC also run beginner/intro spins but not until late September.

Thanks daragh. Are they on Sunday's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Thanks daragh. Are they on Sunday's

Yes. Will post details asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭AlreadyHome

Anyone around here I could chat to about membership details for Orwell Wheelers? Trying to figure out if it'd work with my schedule - had a look on the website and still at a bit of a loss!

• Advertisement

the chap in humphries mentioned something about the CI membership as being a reason that september was chosen as the best time to advertise 'open' organised cycles for people interested in joining - i may have picked him up wrong, mind.

CI used to run by the calendar year, which started in September I think, but IIRC its moved to a 12 month thing. So if you get your membership in August it runs until next August, rather than just the end of the membership year.

Advertisement