Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to see in Kilkenny?

Options
  • 02-09-2016 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭

Herself is keen on a day trip to Kilkenny

Apart from the obvious like the Castle and Kilkenny Design, what are the must see sights in Kilkenny?

Also could anyone recommend somewhere nice to get (a) breakfast and (b) a late lunch/early bird dinner?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Touristy sites would include the brewery tour, Rothe House, the old Jail and while you are at the castle I would pop across the road to the National Craft Gallery.

For breakfast I would suggest going to Marble City Bar (location), i would sit down in the tea rooms side on Kieran street if possible, they have a pretty good selection.

As for dinner I think the early bird in
    Campagne is fantastic value @ 33 for a three course in a Michelin star restaurant, also Rinuccini is fantastic for Italian and 29 for a three course as is Zuni @ 29.50 for a three course.

Also if you are looking for a few drinks later in the night, I would say Bridies is great for a few to get started and after that let the mood take to you around town as you will be in the middle of the everything. [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

I live in Kilkenny and I think what Lord has set out is pretty on the ball. Might even do that myself ☺

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Did the Smithwicks tour myself two weeks back, its pretty good and worth a visit. Plus you get a pint included in the entry charge (book online as its 20% cheaper!)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

Just to add to the above - go up the round tower- its great.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Rás na mBan is on this week.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

Also if you are looking for a few drinks later in the night, I would say Bridies is great for a few to get started and after that let the mood take to you around town as you will be in the middle of the everything. [/font]

Were is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭JMT2016

Herself is keen on a day trip to Kilkenny

Apart from the obvious like the Castle and Kilkenny Design, what are the must see sights in Kilkenny?

Also could anyone recommend somewhere nice to get (a) breakfast and (b) a late lunch/early bird dinner?

Thanks

I would recommend walking the grounds of Kilkenny Castle as well. Many people I have spoken to (and not from Kilkenny) don't seem to be aware of the beautiful lake at the end of the gardens.

cargo wrote: »
    Were is that?

It's on John street here it can be deceiving as it looks like a shop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Can you actually buy stuff in that shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

It's on John street here it can be deceiving as it looks like a shop

Great thanks I much check that out. I last remember it been a artist studio or similar. A Costelloe guy if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement

hi5 wrote: »
    Can you actually buy stuff in that shop?
    Yes absolutely.

Advertisement