Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rented house problems - repairs

Options
  • 02-09-2016 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi everyone I hope this is the right place to post just some worries about the house im renting.

So im here under a year the day I got my keys I was shocked to see that state of the house I was given it in ( to note I viewes it when the last tenants were still here and it looked fine).

Loads of things were broken filthy carpets and furniture they left just hoping id keep it here even though I had my own so I told me landlord (estate agents) I wasnt happy and I was able to move in a week later after repairs etc.

since then the electrics in the house were faulty esb had to replace wires outside and in the oil boiler outside had nails in the electrice we could have been blown up, the shower tray was leaking so when it was fixed there was about 100 cigarette butts hid inside, the plumbing was damaged inside and out pipes and toilets blocked, back door key broke ( it was faulty when moved and and i got ut fixed and paid myself) To be honest im so fed up cleaning up after this filthy family who left this house disgraceful.

Now today the boiler in the hotpress wont heat my water and its leaking i text my plumber to ask was he around because water and electrics I was worried( i told the estate agents i rang plumber and he said i shouldnt havr done it that id have to pay now myself) he was very rude like everything that happened was my fault i just need advice incase i get blaimed im not sure what to do ,i feel like im ringing every two weeks with problems they left.

Im a single parent (rent allowane) I pay my rent early every month ive looked after this mans house very well done ut up as the other family destroyed it I suppose im thinking i will be judged because of my situation as so many people when on rent allowance dont care but im not one of them, any advice pleace would be great thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The first port of call when something is broken or needs attention is the landlord or his agent. You cannot get your own plumber in and expect the landlord to pay it. They must be notified first and allowed to fix their own property but if there is an unreasonable delay in organising a repair, you may notify the landlord that you are going to get someone in to fix it and then seek the cost back from them. In that case, you should give them reasonable notice first of a time to rectify before you carry out your own repair.

To be honest it sounds like the estate agents are getting things sorted for you. Has there been any indication that they are blaming you for any damage as it doesn't appear so from your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭whattodo1

The first port of call when something is broken or needs attention is the landlord or his agent. You cannot get your own plumber in and expect the landlord to pay it. They must be notified first and allowed to fix their own property but if there is an unreasonable delay in organising a repair, you may notify the landlord that you are going to get someone in to fix it and then seek the cost back from them. In that case, you should give them reasonable notice first of a time to rectify before you carry out your own repair.

To be honest it sounds like the estate agents are getting things sorted for you. Has there been any indication that they are blaming you for any damage as it doesn't appear so from your post.

Hi thanks for the reply Ive always rang the landlord before I attempt to ring anyone about repairs I just got a fright with the water on the electrics I text to see was he around because he is always busy so I was hoping if i text before instead of the landlord thinking I was doing the right thing.

They are very good when it comes to fixing things for me its just the phone call today he was annoyed because there seems to be something wrong every few weeks in the house all damage left from the last tenants, ive been told this by the people who have fixed things for me.

I suppose Im just wondering what could I do incase the landlord wants to speak to me about everything thats happened when none of its been my fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

on threshold is a detailed time within which LL must repair what. immersion would be classified as within 3-5 days.

http://www.threshold.ie/advice/dealing-with-problems-during-your-tenancy/standards-and-repairs/

on threshold is a detailed time within which LL must repair what. immersion would be classified as within 3-5 days.

http://www.threshold.ie/advice/dealing-with-problems-during-your-tenancy/standards-and-repairs/

While I don't always agree with Threshold, and these timelines are guidance rather than law, they are relatively sensible.

In this instance where a boiler is leaking onto electrics then it could be an emergency immediate repair (although would still have to go through the landlord). This is dependent on the amount of the leak though.

whattodo1 wrote: »
    I suppose Im just wondering what could I do incase the landlord wants to speak to me about everything thats happened when none of its been my fault.

If you have not done so already, have a word with the landlord about the condition of the property. Say you are grateful for the flat and you want to take care of it and list out the things that have gone wrong which were not the result of your actions. Either they broke down or were the result of misuse by previous tenants.

Since there has been no discussion about damage or you having to pay for anything so far I would expect the landlord is aware that these are not your fault and is probably happy just to be rid of the old tenants.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If you have not done so already, have a word with the landlord about the condition of the property. Say you are grateful for the flat and you want to take care of it and list out the things that have gone wrong which were not the result of your actions. Either they broke down or were the result of misuse by previous tenants.

Since there has been no discussion about damage or you having to pay for anything so far I would expect the landlord is aware that these are not your fault and is probably happy just to be rid of the old tenants.
    Op says they are there a year in their first post, it's hard to believe it's taken a year to get previous tenants damage rectified

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

If you have not done so already, have a word with the landlord about the condition of the property. Say you are grateful for the flat and.....

Make sure you are kneeling and smiling while saying how grateful you are too!

OP, you are correct, electricity and water do not mix. I would have done the same thing. I would consider a leak onto live wires an emergency. That house sounds like it needed to be gone over thoroughly before you moved in, but that did not happen, and it has been left to you to report things as you find them.

I wouldn't pay that plumber bill. You have been patient enough with the other issues. Get some advice from Threshold on how to communicate this message to the landlord.

Good luck. I feel sorry for you having to act as a landlord's maintenance person.

Stheno wrote: »
    Op says they are there a year in their first post, it's hard to believe it's taken a year to get previous tenants damage rectified

Yeah it's hard to judge without a list of things and timeline. They do say they've been ringing quite regularly which, even after a delayed move-in to repair the damage from the last tenants means they only fixed the surface damage and left everything else to slow break down over time, or the stuff is old and is just wearing out, or there is more to the story than we're hearing.

I'm inclined to believe the OP until I hear more. Currently there's no talk of getting the OP for pay for anything so they are accepting responsibility for the repairs thus far.

percy212 wrote: »
    Make sure you are kneeling and smiling while saying how grateful you are too!

The OP is a rent allowance tenant. Their other alternative is to find alternative accommodation under the limits of RA within Dublin (if their location is accurate) which as we know is nigh on impossible, even with the new limits.

If they're mostly happy with the place, it wouldn't hurt to let the landlord know. It lets the landlord know that they're not trying to damage it and the fixtures that keep breaking down aren't from their own actions. If I were a landlord in this situation I'd prefer a tenant like the OP to be as open in communication as possible to ensure they're not hiding other damage or faults for fear of being accused of negligent damage.

So essentially you are saying, the OP should be grateful for substandard service because they are a RA tenant. That kind of attitude should be be ancient history in Ireland. The LL is receiving a rent deemed fair by the council. If the LL doesn't want guaranteed income from the council, they could, oh I don't know, spend THOUSANDS fixing up that dump and trying to rent it to a couple of professionals, and expect regular angry phone calls when other items in the place are found to be faulty.

OP. Stick to your guns. Get some advice from Threshold. Do NOT pay that plumbers bill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

OP. Stick to your guns. Get some advice from Threshold. Do NOT pay that plumbers bill.

Bad advice

The OP engaged the plumber without the knowledge of the LL or their agent.

They made the contract for repairs with the plumber, plumber carried out their part, its up to the OP to now uphold their part of their contract and pay up.

It's their responsibility to pay the plumbers bill and try get it back from the LL.

on threshold is a detailed time within which LL must repair what.
    immersion would be classified as within 3-5 days.

Maybe you should have a look at that again, especially the bit near the beginning that says:

"While the Minimum Standards Regulations do not specify timeframes within which a landlord must carry out necessary repairs and maintenance to a rented property, Threshold suggests the following:"

Hi thanks for the reply Ive always rang the landlord before I attempt to ring anyone about repairs I just got a fright with the water on the electrics I text to see was he around because he is always busy so I was hoping if i text before instead of the landlord thinking I was doing the right thing.

They are very good when it comes to fixing things for me its just the phone call today he was annoyed because there seems to be something wrong every few weeks in the house all damage left from the last tenants, ive been told this by the people who have fixed things for me.

OP you're entitled to a rented property that meets certain standards. A LL can't evict or legitimately give you grief because you're asking for this. But you have to allow a LL to address them and not get your own workmen in with out their go ahead.

In future I suggest you follow any text/ phone call to the LL with a letter. You are supposed to inform your LL in writing of any issues, allowing them a reasonable time to repair. A text/ phone call may not cut it with the RTB if it comes down to that later.

OP, if you get stuck paying this bill, I advise you to go through that house with a fine tooth comb and write up a LONG list of things that need repair. Give the list to your landlord and ask for dates by which the items will be repaired/replaced. If anything is NOT repaired or replaced in a timeframe "suggested" by Threshold, take action.

Two can play the rules game. Your LL is being willfully difficult because they know it's difficult for an RA tenant to find a place. They cannot evict you for asking for repairs.

Again, get advice from Threshold on this issue. Perhaps they can mediate the situation. All I can tell you is I would not pay that bill without a long fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

One of the grounds for termination of a part four lease is for considerable repairs. Be careful you don't leave yourself open to this OP. The property would have to be offered to you afterwards but there's no statutory timescale for completion of works.

So essentially you are saying, the OP should be grateful for substandard service because they are a RA tenant. That kind of attitude should be be ancient history in Ireland. The LL is receiving a rent deemed fair by the council. If the LL doesn't want guaranteed income from the council, they could, oh I don't know, spend THOUSANDS fixing up that dump and trying to rent it to a couple of professionals, and expect regular angry phone calls when other items in the place are found to be faulty.

What substandard service? Everything we've heard about so far the agent/landlord have fixed. The only issue was the OP bringing their own plumber in without informing the landlord first. That's a legitimate gripe from the landlord's side, but one that can be easily remedied with some clear communication as i already advised.

OP, if you get stuck paying this bill, I advise you to go through that house with a fine tooth comb and write up a LONG list of things that need repair. Give the list to your landlord and ask for dates by which the items will be repaired/replaced. If anything is NOT repaired or replaced in a timeframe "suggested" by Threshold, take action.

Two can play the rules game. Your LL is being willfully difficult because they know it's difficult for an RA tenant to find a place. They cannot evict you for asking for repairs.

Again, get advice from Threshold on this issue. Perhaps they can mediate the situation. All I can tell you is I would not pay that bill without a long fight.

What have you against this plumber? Why shouldn't they get paid for the work they did by the person who asked them to do the work?

Its not the plumbers fault, and if I was the plumber I'd be looking for my money. Telling the OP not to pay will only lead to more hassles for the OP.

Thanks everyone for the replys, to do with me texting the plumber first I was worried as it was leaking water onto electrics and the estate agent was closed, he was sent up anyway and it's getting fixed an element went in it.

To who said about im here a year and things keep happening yes but the last tenants left this house in a state and im so fed up still cleaning up their mess the house, only small things were fixed the estate agents didn't cgeck the underlying problems that i'm now stuck with something going wrong every few weeks I paid enough when I moved in the house should have been perfect, Ive written down everything thats needed fixing jut incase something else goes wrong and then ill have a chat with the estate agents.

Just an update its a week since the plumber came to check and was supposed yo come back to me I ran myself aince the estate agents hasn't bothered and I was told they havent gave him the go ahead to fix the tank yet a week without hot water is disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I think the thousands of LLs who have been burned by RA tenants as the rent they told was "guaranteed", was not in fact guaranteed ie the rent is paid to the tenant, who can refuse to hand it over the LL for no good reason and there is little recourse. Would disagree with your belief that RA tenants are the dream you make them out to be. In fact most LLs dont want to touch RA tenants with a barge pole, as professionals are far easier to deal with and tend to pay their rent on time with ease

What most people fail to realise with RA is that the council and Dept of SP literally pull a figure out of their arse and call it the market rent. With the "market rate" given by the council, you could often tack on 30% onto that and still not find a house in that price range.

Threshold give advice, that is merely advice. What they state is often not the law and in fact have been called out for advocating breaking the law.

At the end of the day, emergency or not, OP did not follow the law on how to deal with repairs. He could have flipped the RCB on the fuse board and stopped any potential accident. Instead they called a plumber on a whim, that might not be the most capable or skilled, yet the LL should have to foot the bill? The LL should have been given a reasonable time to find their own tradesman.

• Advertisement

Call Threshold. You need professional advice. A broken water tank out of commission for this long is unacceptable. When I say call Threshold I mean do it tomorrow.
    Just an update its a week since the plumber came to check and was supposed yo come back to me I ran myself aince the estate agents hasn't bothered and I was told they havent gave him the go ahead to fix the tank yet a week without hot water is disgraceful.

newacc2015 wrote: »
    I think the thousands of LLs who have been burned by RA tenants as the rent they told was "guaranteed", was not in fact guaranteed ie the rent is paid to the tenant, who can refuse to hand it over the LL for no good reason and there is little recourse. Would disagree with your belief that RA tenants are the dream you make them out to be. In fact most LLs dont want to touch RA tenants with a barge pole, as professionals are far easier to deal with and tend to pay their rent on time with ease

What most people fail to realise with RA is that the council and Dept of SP literally pull a figure out of their arse and call it the market rent. With the "market rate" given by the council, you could often tack on 30% onto that and still not find a house in that price range.

Threshold give advice, that is merely advice. What they state is often not the law and in fact have been called out for advocating breaking the law.

At the end of the day, emergency or not, OP did not follow the law on how to deal with repairs. He could have flipped the RCB on the fuse board and stopped any potential accident. Instead they called a plumber on a whim, that might not be the most capable or skilled, yet the LL should have to foot the bill? The LL should have been given a reasonable time to find their own tradesman.

I rang the plumber that is professional at his job juat to make sure he was avaliable when i needed the wone done not all rent A tenants are the same my rent is paid early every month and also was i just supposed to leave water leaking on something electric ove 3 children was i supposed to leave them in danger?????? Turn off the electricity what was i to do, do without it? its a week now and they havent bothered ive had to travel to my parents to gove my kids a bath and dry clothes its unacceptable just cause im on ra its not right.

You are correct. The situation is unacceptable. You need to contact Threshold, and a local councilor. You need legal advice too - get a solicitor.

http://www.threshold.ie/

Advertisement