Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Skiing

• 02-09-2016 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hello,

Just wondering where is best to go to for skiing over the Christmas holidays, possibly December 24th to 31st for 4 adults and 5 teenagers, mostly just beginners, would like to be near a town but nightlife is obviously not massively important. My concern is mainly if there would be an issue with snow at this time? Any advice would be appreciated in relation to going via an operator or DIY also.

Thanks,

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

At an annual meeting of the Kitzbul tourist committee in the 60's they decided not to market the resort in December as they could not guarantee snow.
    Snow varies from year to year. If you want to be sure,pick a resort with most of its skiing above, 1,800 Meters to guarantee a bit more snow security.

The last two years have been pretty bad for Christmas skiing but other years it is excellent. If you are looking at resorts that would meet your cirteria and are snow sure, Tignes, France, Hintertux Austria, Obergurgal and Solden.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭empty21

Fattes wrote: »
    At an annual meeting of the Kitzbul tourist committee in the 60's they decided not to market the resort in December as they could not guarantee snow.
    Snow varies from year to year. If you want to be sure,pick a resort with most of its skiing above, 1,800 Meters to guarantee a bit more snow security.

The last two years have been pretty bad for Christmas skiing but other years it is excellent. If you are looking at resorts that would meet your cirteria and are snow sure, Tignes, France, Hintertux Austria, Obergurgal and Solden.

Zillertal arena was recommended too to me but we'll definitely look at those options, many thanks

empty21 wrote: »
    Zillertal arena was recommended too to me but we'll definitely look at those options, many thanks

Hintertux, is the highest resort in the Zillertal valley :):) , mayrhofen is the other main one Bad Kirchof hotel in Tux is quite good

Big fan of Zillertal

Hintertux, is the highest resort in the Zillertal valley :):) , mayrhofen is the other main one Bad Kirchof hotel in Tux is quite good

Big fan of Zillertal

Cool I will look into this area so, do you book independently or go through a travel agent/company? Any recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Quick question folks ,
    what happens on Xmas day?
    are the slopes open etc? whats a good option for dinner etc?

our first time away over xmas and not sure , our idea is it would be great to get a morning skiing in before hitting the bucks fizz :)
    not sure about dinner , veering toward a hotel etc more for the company and a bit of craic over a few beers?

any tips?

• Advertisement

Empty21, I live in the Alps :) full time skier, have a look at independent options first Flihjts to Munich make a lot of Austrian resorts access able and Geneva and Zurich for France and other Austrian resorts.

Hawkwind, slopes are open, most hotels do a traditional British/Irish dinner on Christmas Day or a buffet of the same. The night of the 23/24th is a bigger deal depending on where in the Alps you are!

Ski early a few Gluwhines and then down for diner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

I often see cheap last minute Christmas packages offered by tour operators here over Christmas,presumably as they don't sell out - not many Irish go skiing for Chrimbo. But prob not a runner for you to wait that long and see given there's six of you and you need plans set down.

Why not try some of the Irish Chalet operators as they would presumably do a festive dinner? Nightlife not so important so fact you're in a chalet not a problem and you'd have the convenience of a minivan drop off and pick up from slopes? If doing this prob best to aim for Val D'Isere as Morzine pretty low and would be depressing if not a white Christmas

a148pro wrote: »
    I often see cheap last minute Christmas packages offered by tour operators here over Christmas,presumably as they don't sell out - not many Irish go skiing for Chrimbo. But prob not a runner for you to wait that long and see given there's six of you and you need plans set down.

Why not try some of the Irish Chalet operators as they would presumably do a festive dinner? Nightlife not so important so fact you're in a chalet not a problem and you'd have the convenience of a minivan drop off and pick up from slopes? If doing this prob best to aim for Val D'Isere as Morzine pretty low and would be depressing if not a white Christmas

Which tour operators would you recommend? Looking at availability now and some areas look to be booked solid is it a very busy time or are they closed ??

Empty21, I live in the Alps :) full time skier, have a look at independent options first Flihjts to Munich make a lot of Austrian resorts access able and Geneva and Zurich for France and other Austrian resorts.

Hawkwind, slopes are open, most hotels do a traditional British/Irish dinner on Christmas Day or a buffet of the same. The night of the 23/24th is a bigger deal depending on where in the Alps you are!

Ski early a few Gluwhines and then down for diner

Flights look to be filling fast and rental houses apartments look very expensive too, seeing 90% bookings in areas not sure if they are just closed for Christmas or actually booked out is it a mad busy time to go??

Christmas is one of 5/6 peak weeks in the season. Also the way it falls this year will make it busier!

Going independent at Christmas is hard as a lot of tour operators book out places in advance so it makes it harder for independents

• Advertisement

Christmas is one of 5/6 peak weeks in the season. Also the way it falls this year will make it busier!

Going independent at Christmas is hard as a lot of tour operators book out places in advance so it makes it harder for independents

Balls!! Operators websites are a pain! Many thanks for all your time and advice. I think Zillertal may be our likely destination of we can get something organised quickly! Fingers crossed!

Which tour operators would you recommend? Looking at availability now and some areas look to be booked solid is it a very busy time or are they closed ??

To be honest I havent' been on a package ski trip in over 15 years so I don't know

Highlife have a good reputation and I know they do Morzine, Val D'Isere and one other place which is why I was warning you off Morzine

Fattes would know a lot more than me so its obvs a busy time for Europeans to go. I do know that a few years running I would see ski offers from Irish travel agents departing 24th for one week, quite cheap so its probably tour operators who have seats on Irish sites to sell

Are you committed to 24th on as the next week, the week immediately after new years is generally low season in Austria and also France I think. The sensible Europeans are all back in work on the Monday while we Irish rock on for a bit more. Its generally a cheap and quiet time to go, plus less of a risk of there having been no snow by that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Empty21 had a quick look on Igluski , those prices are steep for your dates esp with a large group.

http://www.igluski.com/searchresults

If you are flexible and can go the week after new year then prices are better.

Quick example to Cervina in Italy

https://www.skyscanner.net flights to Milan 1st-8th Jan = £100 each
    https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/11612451?sug=50&check_in=2017-01-01&guests=1&check_out=2017-01-08 = £2800
    Factor in car hire/transfers , equipment and passes.

Hello,

Many thanks

Might have some flexibility regarding the following week but I thought that it is a busier week than the 24th to 31st of December? I might take a look at those dates instead and see what I can come up with, flights are about 220 and I did see a holiday let for about 1600 so that works out ok in terms of flight and accommodation, transfers ski pass and equipment are yet to be determined though :)

Hello,

Many thanks

Might have some flexibility regarding the following week but I thought that it is a busier week than the 24th to 31st of December? I might take a look at those dates instead and see what I can come up with, flights are about 220 and I did see a holiday let for about 1600 so that works out ok in terms of flight and accommodation, transfers ski pass and equipment are yet to be determined though :)

Have a look at Finkenberg, just between Hintertux and Mayrhofen. Links into the main Mayrhofen area

Accommodation is looking hard to come by in most locations, and if available then fairly expensive. Flights are also on the rise... Tour operators looking likely at this stage :( I am not convinced that Soll is a good option at this time?

That still is still regarded as high season in Italy I think (they obv like their time off). France and Austria should be low season though. If your dates do not take one full calendar week they might not want to take the booking in advance as they'll hold out for two full one week bookings (just in case that explains your difficulty getting results on online searches).

God we're such a bunch of ski junkies falling over ourselves to plan someone else's ski holiday, total escapism

And it is greatly appreciated!!!!
    We are looking at Austria in the main as we can fly Cork Munich and then do a DIY job, but flights and accommodation are looking expensive or as expensive as a tour operator so may have to go down the tour operator route, more destinations available with chartered flights etc. Have a quote from Topflight of 770 pp for flights transfers and half board in Andorra passes and equipment rental bringing it up to or over 1000 pp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Just to add to this although it's probably really unhelpful, I tried a couple of years ago to DIY a new year trip for a few people back in May of that year but the accommodation that was left was just way too expensive especially the longer you leave it. Most places seem to book up for new year really early so if you're looking now you're only left with the places no one wants or can afford! I say go with an operator in this instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 nocando

Empty, IMO best to stick with an operator first time around, by the time you factor in your own flights, luggage and transfers any difference in price will likely be offset by the extra organisation involved going DIY. Would also say DIY a bit trickier unless you've been to and know the resort, a beginner walking around in ski boots for 500m will seem like miles for them! Haven't been outside of France but if you're going there best options would be Tignes or Val Thoren for the best possibility of snow.Some heavy snowfall expected over the weekend so you could be in luck this year.

Best of luck and enjoy.

Advertisement