Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to change Masters?

• 02-09-2016 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi, I have been accepted onto a masters, and was wondering if it is possible to change your masters once you have started it?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

Yes of course, but you will most likely lose any fees you have already paid for the first masters. You'll have missed this year's application deadlines as well, so you'd need to wait til next year to reapply for something else.

Unless you're talking about a research masters? In that case I would talk to your supervisor.

Either way, it's a pretty big commitment - better to be sure it's what you want before you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 GraceCareer

innad wrote: »
    Yes of course, but you will most likely lose any fees you have already paid for the first masters. You'll have missed this year's application deadlines as well, so you'd need to wait til next year to reapply for something else.

Unless you're talking about a research masters? In that case I would talk to your supervisor.

Either way, it's a pretty big commitment - better to be sure it's what you want before you start.

Hi, Thanks for replying.
    I've been accepted onto a Masters and I have to accept by Monday but I am really unsure of whether or not it is something I should be doing.
    It's not in an area I have much interest in, and it's a massive time/financial commitment BUT at the same time I have nothing else, no other prospects for the oncoming year (I have had no success looking for work etc.) and I think this must be better than doing nothing.
    Ah! I'm so damn confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

honestly I wouldn't do a masters unless I was really interested in the area. If your heart's not in it, doing the required work is that much harder, and there's no point in half-arsing it. Like anything, you get out of it what you put in. That's just my two cents though, best of luck whatever you decide!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Slightly confused here but why did you apply for a Masters you have no interest in?
    Just do one you are interested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Curiously, a friend with several advanced degrees in the US once told me that if you choose a subject for your thesis that you know well, love, and have firm opinions on, by the time you are through you will be heartily tired of the whole thing and will regard it as a job from which you badly need a holiday, and will likely have changed many or most of your cherished original views to boot. But if you choose a subject you are mildly interested in and not terribly knowledgeable about, coming at it fresh, by the time you are done with your degree you will feel like you have gained something important and made a decent contribution to the field, and your future work will show that attitude. I don't have advanced degrees myself (I'm on the autism spectrum and the school environment has always been difficult for me), but I have found the general idea to be true in, for example, the corporate environment when deciding whether to accept a job transfer.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for your reply. I think you are right, I'm just so wary of having nothing to do for the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Thanks so much for your reply. I think you are right, I'm just so wary of having nothing to do for the year.

Heh, I'm an American so I have no shame about admitting that I've seen a therapist to straighten out my approach to some things in my life. Call her a life coach if you will, she's a wise and gifted older woman. Her advice to me was that only moving in a direction gets you anywhere; standing still gets you nowhere; you rarely know at the start where a particular path will lead you, but it's best to keep walking anyway. :)

Speedwell wrote: »
    Heh, I'm an American so I have no shame about admitting that I've seen a therapist to straighten out my approach to some things in my life. Call her a life coach if you will, she's a wise and gifted older woman. Her advice to me was that only moving in a direction gets you anywhere; standing still gets you nowhere; you rarely know at the start where a particular path will lead you, but it's best to keep walking anyway. :)

Well thank you so much for that.
    It's wonderful to hear somebody else's experience, and I do believe you are right. I'm going to do it, because its time to start moving forward again!

Advertisement