Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can we best manage new insurance policy - named driver and ownership issues

Options
  • 02-09-2016 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

My partner and I currently share a car, registered in his name with himself as main insured (not with Liberty) and primary driver, and me as named driver. Both age 25 with 6 years full licence and no claims. I have never held my own policy. 

Our policy is up for renewal soon and at the same time I am due to begin a new job which is likely going to require me to drive to and from work, and possibly also between meeting venues. If we were to take out a policy with Liberty on our current car, what are our options considering the fact that I would now be driving the car more often than he would, yet the car is registered in his name?

In order for me to take out my own policy, would we have to change car ownership over to my name? 

Am I correct in saying that the named driver must drive the car 'only occasionally' and not more often than the main insured?

I would appreciate any guidance. 

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 235 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Sean

My partner and I currently share a car, registered in his name with himself as main insured (not with Liberty) and primary driver, and me as named driver. Both age 25 with 6 years full licence and no claims. I have never held my own policy. 

Our policy is up for renewal soon and at the same time I am due to begin a new job which is likely going to require me to drive to and from work, and possibly also between meeting venues. If we were to take out a policy with Liberty on our current car, what are our options considering the fact that I would now be driving the car more often than he would, yet the car is registered in his name?

In order for me to take out my own policy, would we have to change car ownership over to my name? 

Am I correct in saying that the named driver must drive the car 'only occasionally' and not more often than the main insured?

I would appreciate any guidance. 
    Hi Psychology5
    Our policy holder would normally have to be the registered owner of the vehicle unless the owner of the car is the your spouse/civil partner or your parents. We do not restrict named drivers on our policies to occasional driving of the car. If you want to PM me with your contact details we can contact you on Monday and provide you with some quotes.
    Regards 
    Seán 

Advertisement