Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bulking Phase

• 02-09-2016 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Curious to know what people feel are reasonable levels of lean muscle gain during a bulking period over the space of 1/3/6 months? And the ratio of bf% associated with this?

I have been training on and off for a good few years but up until recently I would now say that my programming has been crap.

At the start of the year I know I was 81kg then during the spring/summer I dropped to 78.5kg from excessive sports and not eating enough.

Since June/July (at the suggestions of the fine members online here) I have started committing to lifting, eating more and reducing my cardio a lot and have gone up to 82.5kg at 12.5% bf. I usually stay at the 11.5% range but have noticed the bf increase a bit since I have increased my food intake and reduced my cardio.

I'm not going into the details of my intake, just curious as to what the typical gains are and what people consider an acceptable bf% increase during this period. This year I have seen the most weight fluctuation since I went to 90kg+ in school for rugby. I always thought I was a hard gainer but maybe it was just down to poor programming and dedication.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,658 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you're putting on about 2-4 lbs per month, you're probably doing alright. You will add some body fat but that's the nature of the beast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

How are you calculating your bf%?

The acceptable number will vary from person to person. A few percent up then cut back down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

Bulking is a sham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

BabyE wrote: »
    Bulking is a sham.

Thank you for the extensive links and clear-minded explanations.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Mellor wrote: »
    How are you calculating your bf%?

The acceptable number will vary from person to person. A few percent up then cut back down.

Calipers during an assessment in the gym. They grabbed the flab at my bicep, tricep, scapula and stomach. They didnt file the previous measurements so I cant compare each body part (why are gym assessment measurements not filed online?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I wouldn't put much faith in capiliars unless the person doing it knows their sh1t.

JJayoo wrote: »
    I wouldn't put much faith in capiliars unless the person doing it knows their sh1t.

Well-timed typo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭newcar2016

JJayoo wrote: »
    Well-timed typo.

Would you put any faith in the BodyPod body composition measurements in UCD?

It's more about the person's ability to do an accurate assessment. If they can then I'd just be looking at the trend in measurements rather than in the body fat percentage.

Advertisement