Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong address on social welfare cheque

Options
  • 02-09-2016 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hi,

My mother received a cheque today from the social welfare for the carers' respite grant. Unfortunately, they seemed to have an old address on their system (she put her current address on the application form but cheques must be auto-generated from whatever address is on the department of social protection's computers)

Anyway, I have a couple of questions about this as it is slightly frustrating -- my mother has been waiting for this payment for months. 

1) Can my mother cash the cheque despite the address on it being her old one? Neither of us know anything about cheques so we are confused
    2) My mother doesn't have a bank account. Could she sign it over to me and then have me lodge it into my account? It doesn't appear to be crossed or say a/c payee only. 

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara P

roro1990 wrote: »
    Hi,

My mother received a cheque today from the social welfare for the carers' respite grant. Unfortunately, they seemed to have an old address on their system (she put her current address on the application form but cheques must be auto-generated from whatever address is on the department of social protection's computers)

Anyway, I have a couple of questions about this as it is slightly frustrating -- my mother has been waiting for this payment for months. 

1) Can my mother cash the cheque despite the address on it being her old one? Neither of us know anything about cheques so we are confused
    2) My mother doesn't have a bank account. Could she sign it over to me and then have me lodge it into my account? It doesn't appear to be crossed or say a/c payee only. 

Thanks for any help.
    Hi roro1990,

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards.ie.

Once the name on the account is the same as the name on the cheque the address should not affect the cheque been lodged to your Mams account.

Generally social welfare payment cheques are account payee only and would need to be lodged to an account of the payee of the cheque.

However if you present the cheque at any of our branches a staff member can look at the cheque and advise you if this can be endorsed and lodged to your account.

Hope this helps,

Thank you,

Tara C   

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭roro1990

Hi,

Thanks for any help.
    Hi roro1990,

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards.ie.

Once the name on the account is the same as the name on the cheque the address should not affect the cheque been lodged to your Mams account.

Generally social welfare payment cheques are account payee only and would need to be lodged to an account of the payee of the cheque.

However if you present the cheque at any of our branches a staff member can look at the cheque and advise you if this can be endorsed and lodged to your account.

Hope this helps,

Thank you,

Tara C   
    Thank you very much for your reply. It's extremely frustrating for my mum because we've looked online about opening a BOI account for her, but she needs a passport, which she hasn't got. In order to get a passport, she would need to have a social welfare card with her picture on it but again, she doesn't have one of them. And to get a social welfare card, she needs a passport ha. So we're being sent around in circles and she can't get her money. Is there any way of opening a BOI account without a passport?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

You don't need a passport to get a public services card. I worked in this area. If she has any other Id such as driving licence or failing that a birth cert and proof of address that is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭cloloco

Hi,

Thanks for any help.
    Check with post office, they might be able to cash it for her. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭roro1990

cloloco wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for any help.
    Check with post office, they might be able to cash it for her. 
    They can't their limit is €1600 this cheque is for 1700. Typical.

• Advertisement
Advertisement