Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

truck driving

• 02-09-2016 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi everyone I'm doing my HGV test at the end of the month, I've already done a couple of lessons and I'm finding I'm getting better with handling a truck, considering I've never driven one before , I am having a problem with remembering to check my mirrors at the correct time, but hopefully il have it sorted by the test as I'm practicing in the car, if anyone has any suggestions or advice it would be very helpful I'm doing my test in Tallaght so if anyone might know a route or two they might bring me on that would also be great

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 14,461 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Mirrors. Gears. Mirrors. Road positioning. Mirrors!

You need to switch from car mode, to truck mode too. I know I was being a bit polite at roundabouts for example and keeping to the left lane when I was turning left. The danger with staying too tight is that you could clip the kerb turning. Swinging slightly wide won't affect you (so long as you're not swinging into the path of traffic!) But take it too tight and you will hit the kerb. Straight fail. Cover both lanes where you need to.

Mirrors. Mirrors. Mirrors.

Check them when you're driving. Check them when you're stopped. Always checking behind you and on the inside. Taking off check your left mirror. Turning right check your left mirror for the tail swing. Turning right at a roundabout check your left mirror for anything coming up on the outside as you need to move to that lane to exit. Turning left check left mirror for kerb and something on the inside, and right mirror for the tail swing.

Use your gears. Up and down through them when needed. Make progress where you can and get up the gears. Slow down and back down through the gears where needed. Roundabouts, speed ramps etc. Don't be afraid to move on and use the range of gears.

Be confident.

And good luck ;)

ETA: if you're turning into a small road, slow down to an almost stop and check the road is clear! Happened me in my test, rural area, turned left into a quiet enough road, car coming down the road, almost at the junction, over on my side of the road! He had to swerve to avoid me, and I had to stay tight to the hedge. I hadn't done anything particularly wrong, he was over on my side of the road. I would have had to keep tight to the hedge had I met him on the straight anyway. But the tester commented at the end that I'd have been better getting to the junction first and checking the road was clear before turning in. If I had done that, I'd have left him out, he'd be gone and I could complete the manoeuvre with no trouble.

There was a car right behind me too, so I wasn't too comfortable with stopping on the road... But I suppose if I had to, the car behind me would have to look after itself!

I passed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 129000000

Mirrors. Gears. Mirrors. Road positioning. Mirrors!

You need to switch from car mode, to truck mode too. I know I was being a bit polite at roundabouts for example and keeping to the left lane when I was turning left. The danger with staying too tight is that you could clip the kerb turning. Swinging slightly wide won't affect you (so long as you're not swinging into the path of traffic!) But take it too tight and you will hit the kerb. Straight fail. Cover both lanes where you need to.

Mirrors. Mirrors. Mirrors.

Check them when you're driving. Check them when you're stopped. Always checking behind you and on the inside. Taking off check your left mirror. Turning right check your left mirror for the tail swing. Turning right at a roundabout check your left mirror for anything coming up on the outside as you need to move to that lane to exit. Turning left check left mirror for kerb and something on the inside, and right mirror for the tail swing.

Use your gears. Up and down through them when needed. Make progress where you can and get up the gears. Slow down and back down through the gears where needed. Roundabouts, speed ramps etc. Don't be afraid to move on and use the range of gears.

Be confident.

And good luck ;)

ETA: if you're turning into a small road, slow down to an almost stop and check the road is clear! Happened me in my test, rural area, turned left into a quiet enough road, car coming down the road, almost at the junction, over on my side of the road! He had to swerve to avoid me, and I had to stay tight to the hedge. I hadn't done anything particularly wrong, he was over on my side of the road. I would have had to keep tight to the hedge had I met him on the straight anyway. But the tester commented at the end that I'd have been better getting to the junction first and checking the road was clear before turning in. If I had done that, I'd have left him out, he'd be gone and I could complete the manoeuvre with no trouble.

There was a car right behind me too, so I wasn't too comfortable with stopping on the road... But I suppose if I had to, the car behind me would have to look after itself!

I passed anyway.

Thanks for that. Very good advice I am finding it hard trying to judge how much of the second lane I need to make certain turns, without also blocking traffic in the second lane as I think that is a fail?, I haven't touched paths or roundabouts thank god as I know if I tip a kerb I'm gone

If you need to cover the second lane, then you can't be failed for it. Cars behind you can wait for a few seconds. It's more important to steer clear of the footpath and pedestrians, cyclists on your left than to maybe temporarily use an extra bit of road. One my route there was a t junction, on a bend with 2 lanes to go either left or right. The route was always to go left, so I always had to cover both lanes to make the corner before the junction. It would have been impossible to turn the corner staying only in the left lane.

Are you taking lessons with an instructor? Don't be afraid to ask questions. Or ask them to clarify something that you're unsure of.

If you need to cover the second lane, then you can't be failed for it. Cars behind you can wait for a few seconds. It's more important to steer clear of the footpath and pedestrians, cyclists on your left than to maybe temporarily use an extra bit of road. One my route there was a t junction, on a bend with 2 lanes to go either left or right. The route was always to go left, so I always had to cover both lanes to make the corner before the junction. It would have been impossible to turn the corner staying only in the left lane.

Are you taking lessons with an instructor? Don't be afraid to ask questions. Or ask them to clarify something that you're unsure of.

I always thought if u took to lanes completely blocking the second one you would be marked down, yeah I'm getting lessons so far I've 4 hours the only problem is the instructor talks alot and he'll call out mistakes after I make them

Did u pass your test recently?

• Advertisement

About 2 weeks ago.

My instructor told me that the routes the rigid do are the same routes that the artics do. And artics would need to use a lot more road more often. Obviously if you have enough clearance on your left to not have to be encroaching on the right, then that's fair enough. But, if you have no choice, in order to make the manoeuvre without hitting the kerb, then you have no choice.

Google tips to pass truck test. There's a few different sites. Some of the tips mightn't be relevant to a rigid, or even to Ireland! But it puts you at ease to know you don't have to drive absolutely perfectly fault free to still pass. I only had 3 faults in the whole test, and even they weren't anything that caused problems. Just a judgement call that the tester said, some days you'd make the move others you wouldn't. He said always be mindful that you are in a bigger, wider, heavier vehicle and judge your manoeuvres accordingly.

About 2 weeks ago.

My instructor told me that the routes the rigid do are the same routes that the artics do. And artics would need to use a lot more road more often. Obviously if you have enough clearance on your left to not have to be encroaching on the right, then that's fair enough. But, if you have no choice, in order to make the manoeuvre without hitting the kerb, then you have no choice.

Google tips to pass truck test. There's a few different sites. Some of the tips mightn't be relevant to a rigid, or even to Ireland! But it puts you at ease to know you don't have to drive absolutely perfectly fault free to still pass. I only had 3 faults in the whole test, and even they weren't anything that caused problems. Just a judgement call that the tester said, some days you'd make the move others you wouldn't. He said always be mindful that you are in a bigger, wider, heavier vehicle and judge your manoeuvres accordingly.

Basically a judgement call on how much extra space u need on the right then, I will do I'l have a Google it see if I can get a few tips, did u have many lessons before you passed as I'm on just over 4 hours now and I feel alot more confident driving it as I've absolutely no experience in driving a truck at all I've literally driven a van maybe a couple of miles I just need to drive the way they want me to drive ( I should be driving) as in mirrors, positioning for vehicle, and get down to a T how much extra space I need for certain turns.

I had 10 hours before the test. Might have done it with only 8, but I was waiting a while for the test so fit in an extra lesson. Never driven a truck before either. Some days I felt like I did really well and other days I just felt like I was making a mess of everything. On the day of the test though I made myself be confident. I know I can drive. I knew I could handle the truck. So I put it out of my head that I was being 'tested' and just drove.

I was obviously still a bit nervous, but I kept convincing myself I knew what I was doing.

10 hours I was thinking that myself or if I needed the 12 then it be fine, I had a lesson on Friday it went grand I also had a lesson on Wednesday but I was tired literally bol*ixed and I couldn't take in anything and I was making all sorts of stupid mistakes, and I was honestly thinking can I actually pass this test, but then I had a good night's sleep and I was saying I could as I'm a confident driver and I think I am a good driver and I went in Friday with that in mind and I probably made 3-4 minor mistakes

When is your test? I used to only do 1 a week and give myself the time in between to 'recover'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

What should I be expecting to pay for HGV lessons? Thinking of a career change.

When is your test? I used to only do 1 a week and give myself the time in between to 'recover'!

The 27/09/16 I'm doing 2 a week, Wednesday and Friday

What should I be expecting to pay for HGV lessons? Thinking of a career change.

I got 10 for 650€

Mine were €120 for 2 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

if there's 2 lanes use them if needed,is what i was told,especially at roundabouts,if youdont cars will come alongside and make navigating the roundabout next too impossible...then you start clipping kerbs,squeezing other motorists and all sorts.Make it easier for yourself.
    Your in an artic use its size to control the space YOU need to turn safely,its for the benifit of not only you but pedestrians,cyclists and the cars your holding up.
    I was taught this and did exactly this on my test and passed with flying colours.
    And mirrors mirrors mirrors....
    If it makes any difference I felt i was looking back more than forward,and the only mark down on my test was not using a mirror.
    And good luck buddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

i paid €100 per 2 hour lesson and then €210 to hire the truck for cpc and test.

gitzy16v wrote: »
    if there's 2 lanes use them if needed,is what i was told,especially at roundabouts,if youdont cars will come alongside and make navigating the roundabout next too impossible...then you start clipping kerbs,squeezing other motorists and all sorts.Make it easier for yourself.
    Your in an artic use its size to control the space YOU need to turn safely,its for the benifit of not only you but pedestrians,cyclists and the cars your holding up.
    I was taught this and did exactly this on my test and passed with flying colours.
    And mirrors mirrors mirrors....
    If it makes any difference I felt i was looking back more than forward,and the only mark down on my test was not using a mirror.
    And good luck buddy.

Cheers for that, I had 1 today and its starting to go my way hopefully it keeps up, it's all the bad habits you pick up you don't actually notice until your getting lessons again and then your like was I always this bad a driver but thank god I'm starting to kick them to one side.

I don't suppose any1 might be able to give a few questions I might be asked for the cpc practical or the questions I might be asked before I go driving I am studying I would just like to know what I really need to know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

129000000 wrote: »
    I don't suppose any1 might be able to give a few questions I might be asked for the cpc practical or the questions I might be asked before I go driving I am studying I would just like to know what I really need to know

where would you look for illegal immigrants or packages on the truck?

what kind of brake systems does a truck have?

what does a retarder do?

whats likely to cause a truck to turn over?

what do you do if a tyre blows out?

what does the gearbox do?

what would you do/look at on a walk around check?

The questions are simple enough and most will have been covered in the computer cpc tests. the driving school should be able to give you a copy of the questions that come up.

I get that you're probably a bit anxious, but your instructor should at this stage be asking you a few questions before every test. By my second lesson the instructor was asking me about thread depth, tyre pressure, reservoir tanks, problems that might arise from double axle, every time before setting off. Also got me to answer a few road signs every time too. Has your instructor talked you through any of this?

In the test I was asked maximum gross weight of vehicle. Thread depth. How often to drain reservoir tanks. I was asked to open the back doors so the tester could inspect the load.

You'll be fine!

• Advertisement

I get that you're probably a bit anxious, but your instructor should at this stage be asking you a few questions before every test. By my second lesson the instructor was asking me about thread depth, tyre pressure, reservoir tanks, problems that might arise from double axle, every time before setting off. Also got me to answer a few road signs every time too. Has your instructor talked you through any of this?

In the test I was asked maximum gross weight of vehicle. Thread depth. How often to drain reservoir tanks. I was asked to open the back doors so the tester could inspect the load.

You'll be fine!

He is asking some questions were can you not park, minimum thread depth, when can you overtake on the left things like that, I thought they would be normal questions and not part of the practical.

neris wrote: »
    where would you look for illegal immigrants or packages on the truck?

what kind of brake systems does a truck have?

what does a retarder do?

whats likely to cause a truck to turn over?

what do you do if a tyre blows out?

what does the gearbox do?

what would you do/look at on a walk around check?

The questions are simple enough and most will have been covered in the computer cpc tests. the driving school should be able to give you a copy of the questions that come up.

This is all the cpc practical questions?

129000000 wrote: »
    He is asking some questions were can you not park, minimum thread depth, when can you overtake on the left things like that, I thought they would be normal questions and not part of the practical.

Yep, that's the kind of thing you'll be asked in the test. I havent done the CPC yet.

Yep, that's the kind of thing you'll be asked in the test. I havent done the CPC yet.

I have my cpc practical before my driving test, hopefully I get them both

minimum thread depth...its a b licence question
    no parking...also b licence
    overtaking...more or less b licence

its a driving test your just in a bigger vehicle,the cpc is a test they dont want you to fail,i do it every year its a course more than an actual test.
    the test is can you safely drive a hgv on the road the cpc is a money grabbing exercise,i know this doesnt help you but its really more of a safety course....get your driving right and you wont go wrong...
    good luck buddy hope to see you parked up in an applegreen soon hahahaha

minimum thread depth...its a b licence question
    no parking...also b licence
    overtaking...more or less b licence

its a driving test your just in a bigger vehicle,the cpc is a test they dont want you to fail,i do it every year its a course more than an actual test.
    the test is can you safely drive a hgv on the road the cpc is a money grabbing exercise,i know this doesnt help you but its really more of a safety course....get your driving right and you wont go wrong...
    good luck buddy hope to see you parked up in an applegreen soon hahahaha

To be honest I don't think il have a problem with the cpc practical, the driving is a different story I am a confident driver don't get me wrong I'm not afraid of driving a truck or a big vehicle and I havent touched a path or hit a kerb thank god hopefully on the day it works out for me, dreading the driving itself to be honest.

Train yourself to not dread it! If you're dreading it you're more likely to make silly mistakes out of nerves. You're able to drive. You're able to handle the truck, just do that on the day. Don't over think it.

Train yourself to not dread it! If you're dreading it you're more likely to make silly mistakes out of nerves. You're able to drive. You're able to handle the truck, just do that on the day. Don't over think it.

I'm trying honestly I love driving in general I'd love to do it for a living, I just have a lot riding on passing this first time

Ah I thought your worries were about cpc...you don't need to pass it first time...I failed my rigid test first time,didn't give myself enough room and clipped inside rear wheel on the kerb turning at a t-junction...Why ?...cos I was worried about upsetting other motorists..when in reality my mistake could hurt a pedestrian.
    If you can drive a truck sensibly your grand...I learned from my mistake and passed next time out,went straight to artic and got 1 mark against me in my test..1 Mark that's all and do you know why,it's because like you I know I can drive I know I'm a good driver and I just drove...try not think of it as a test,do your job deliver your tester to his/her destination safely and it will be fine.
    They don't want to fail you,the industry needs drivers especially ones who are keen,your tester will see your keen,they honestly want you too pass.

• Advertisement

Ah I thought your worries were about cpc...you don't need to pass it first time...I failed my rigid test first time,didn't give myself enough room and clipped inside rear wheel on the kerb turning at a t-junction...Why ?...cos I was worried about upsetting other motorists..when in reality my mistake could hurt a pedestrian.
    If you can drive a truck sensibly your grand...I learned from my mistake and passed next time out,went straight to artic and got 1 mark against me in my test..1 Mark that's all and do you know why,it's because like you I know I can drive I know I'm a good driver and I just drove...try not think of it as a test,do your job deliver your tester to his/her destination safely and it will be fine.
    They don't want to fail you,the industry needs drivers especially ones who are keen,your tester will see your keen,they honestly want you too pass.

I think I should be fine with CPC side of it, I have done the test route a couple of times as there is only one with certain deviations the tester can make, and I know which roads and turns I need the extra space, I also have been doing the reversing and I find it handy enough, it's just there's someone beside you judging you on your driving that's the worrying part and if I make mistakes I either get marked down or depending on what the mistake is I could fail. It's just the pressure to drive perfect I know myself I shouldn't be worrying but you know yourself it's hard to put some things to the back of your mind.

But you don't have to drive perfectly! Of course there are some errors that are on the spot fail, but a few minor "marks down" won't fail you. You might be even better off making an odd mistake, because it relaxes you. In my test, I thought I'd broken the speed limit on a short stretch of road. The road is 60, but a few minutes after coming off it in my head I thought it had been 50, and said "fk it!". From that point on I really relaxed because I thought I had nothing to lose! I drove as I normally would anyway, but the pressure of "the test" was gone, because in my mind the test was over. I kept expecting the tester to just direct me back to the test centre to give me the bad news.

But you don't have to drive perfectly! Of course there are some errors that are on the spot fail, but a few minor "marks down" won't fail you. You might be even better off making an odd mistake, because it relaxes you. In my test, I thought I'd broken the speed limit on a short stretch of road. The road is 60, but a few minutes after coming off it in my head I thought it had been 50, and said "fk it!". From that point on I really relaxed because I thought I had nothing to lose! I drove as I normally would anyway, but the pressure of "the test" was gone, because in my mind the test was over. I kept expecting the tester to just direct me back to the test centre to give me the bad news.

To be honest I was thinking that I done that on my car test and I thought I failed after 10 minutes an I said f*ck it Il rebook it and get it the next time and when I got back to the test center I only had one grade 2 mark for that mistake I made, is speeding a grade 3 fail would you know I know you can be marked for lack of progress but I also know you can be marked for speeding aswell but is it a on the spot fail

I don't suppose anyone might have done there HGV test in tallaght, I was asking the instructor and he said the testers for the HGV are fair enough, would anybody know what their like

Advertisement